• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the entire offensive line

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i didn't say run 100% shotgun....

i want to see a combination of things that were done during the first 3 games. it isn't hard to stick with what works and throw out what doesn't.

what has worked in the first three games?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what has worked in the first three games?

bootlegs, shotgun, hunter. i'd like to see davis in motion more often as well. heck.

and if we're gonna do a stupid 3rd and 2 run up the gut, run behind sopoaga.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
bootlegs, shotgun, hunter. i'd like to see davis in motion more often as well. heck.

have we used bootlegs?

by saying shotgun, how many plays from shotgun, half? more than half?

running isn't stupid, its a necessary part of football. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. similar to passing, sometimes its completed, and sometimes its incomplete.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bootleg was used early on against dallas

and i dont know how many plays they should run from the gun. it all depends on how they want to attack the d. having scripted plays would help to see how the d is going to play certain formations. something i wish harbaugh would do. dalton almost looked like a seasoned vet during his scripted plays.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and i dont know how many plays they should run from the gun. it all depends on how they want to attack the d. having scripted plays would help to see how the d is going to play certain formations. something i wish harbaugh would do. dalton almost looked like a seasoned vet during his scripted plays.

Just a reminder though... One of the times the Niner did a bootleg, someone forgot to block Demarcus Ware and he was there to sack Smith as he turned around

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

first, appreciate you making an earnest attempt at answering. if bootlegs work great, just that i don't recall reading it? if some shotgun works, again no problem. just that we might have different ideas of what constitutes 'some'?

second, guess i'm trying to say 95% of our offense hasn't worked so far, won't argue its more considering ZERO runs has worked? so if we throw out 95% of our offense, are you suggesting we run 5% of the playbook?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With all these talks about what play works and what does not, I just realize that the Niners are not running many running plays in which the guard pull from one side to the other... I can't recall seeing or even hearing any mention of Iupati pulling and leading the RB's ... Please correct me if I am wrong ...

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't say run 100% shotgun....

i want to see a combination of things that were done during the first 3 games. it isn't hard to stick with what works and throw out what doesn't.

You want to see a combination? Really? So what's the under center / shotgun ratio that would satisfy you, and why?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all these talks about what play works and what does not, I just realize that the Niners are not running many running plays in which the guard pull from one side to the other... I can't recall seeing or even hearing any mention of Iupati pulling and leading the RB's ... Please correct me if I am wrong ...

You're wrong. I saw Iupati pull on several occasions so far this season.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
first, appreciate you making an earnest attempt at answering. if bootlegs work great, just that i don't recall reading it? if some shotgun works, again no problem. just that we might have different ideas of what constitutes 'some'?

second, guess i'm trying to say 95% of our offense hasn't worked so far, won't argue its more considering ZERO runs has worked? so if we throw out 95% of our offense, are you suggesting we run 5% of the playbook?

I understand what you're saying, and i respect your opinions and contributions to the board, but I think you are exaggerating when you say 95% isn't working. Alex has completed 3 out of every 4 passes so that is somewhat working. The run game is what is 95% not working but we have to stick with it. With our personnel, if we can't run, we can't cosistently beat good teams.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I am by no means bashing Hunter but how exactly has he been "working" with less than 3 YPC with a long of 11?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand what you're saying, and i respect your opinions and contributions to the board, but I think you are exaggerating when you say 95% isn't working. Alex has completed 3 out of every 4 passes so that is somewhat working. The run game is what is 95% not working but we have to stick with it. With our personnel, if we can't run, we can't cosistently beat good teams.

sorry if i'm making it argumentive, just trying to breakdown your thought to something more 'tangible'. i believe once you start to evaluate in detail, you'll see there really aren't much good plays to keep?

ok, i may be exaggerating with 95%, but its still most of the plays. an inept, 31st ranked offense didn't have too many good plays.

btw - you first said keep the plays that work and throw out the rest, i took it to mean out of the playbook? now you're saying keep running and we all know our runs haven't worked. so which is it, throw out plays that don't work - ie running plays too - or keep plays even if they haven't worked?

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
sorry if i'm making it argumentive, just trying to breakdown your thought to something more 'tangible'. i believe once you start to evaluate in detail, you'll see there really aren't much good plays to keep?

ok, i may be exaggerating with 95%, but its still most of the plays. an inept, 31st ranked offense didn't have too many good plays.

btw - you first said keep the plays that work and throw out the rest, i took it to mean out of the playbook? now you're saying keep running and we all know our runs haven't worked. so which is it, throw out plays that don't work - ie running plays too - or keep plays even if they haven't worked?

I think u got me confused with someone else. I have agreed with you the whole thread. I was just sayin that more than 5 % of the offense is working.:noidea:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think u got me confused with someone else. I have agreed with you the whole thread. I was just sayin that more than 5 % of the offense is working.:noidea:

haa!

ok, its my signal to leave this topic. :-)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to see a combination? Really? So what's the under center / shotgun ratio that would satisfy you, and why?

depends on the match up and how the game goes. philly is inexperienced at linebacker. we need to exploit that with davis and our running backs in the passing game.

might have to use a higher % of shotgun against the eagles. my biggest problem as i said before is with the play action passes. by the time smith gets his head turned around there's a pass rusher that just blew by someone. lets the backs block or go on a route and let smith keep his eyes in front of him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am by no means bashing Hunter but how exactly has he been "working" with less than 3 YPC with a long of 11?

small sample size and it's easy to see the guy can break one. i think (hope) gore gets back on track because hunter isn't an every down back, but hunter can add some good change of pace. i wouldn't mind seeing dixon on some short yardage. keep gore fresh

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on the match up and how the game goes. philly is inexperienced at linebacker. we need to exploit that with davis and our running backs in the passing game.

might have to use a higher % of shotgun against the eagles. my biggest problem as i said before is with the play action passes. by the time smith gets his head turned around there's a pass rusher that just blew by someone. lets the backs block or go on a route and let smith keep his eyes in front of him.

So your plan is to use more shotgun on the 30th rushing defense in the NFL? Brilliant.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I hear what you're saying Kid, Hunter's nominal numbers are not impressive, but relatively speaking, they are not horrible either. Overall Hunter is at 2.7 while Gore is at 2.5 and the team is at 2.5. As for Sunday, Hunter was at 2.9 while Gore was at 2.5.

However, what impressed me most about Hunter on Sunday was his ability to get first downs. Besides his TD run he racked up 3 first downs and on each of those plays it was pretty much all him that made the first down. So while his numbers are not the best, he is, IMO, definitely showing signs of being a player at this level.

I don't think Hunter is broken, I think we need some serious improvement in our run blocking.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they won't be 30th after sunday....

doublefacepalm.jpg