• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The case for 8

Jonathan Scarfpin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Case for 8

As a college football fan, I am exasperated by some of the talking heads of college sports bemoaning a transition to an 8-team playoff in college football. It is evident that this would not only be a good idea, it would help make college football more enjoyable for all involved. The goal of college athletics is to help develop young men and women into responsible and honorable people of integrity. The current college football system does not allow for that. We should be taught to respect all involved including our opponents. The current system causes many major power 5 conference teams to schedule non-conference opponents that are much weaker as the teams fear one loss will not allow them to be one of the four subjectively chosen teams. Also, in these extremely lopsided non-conference games the major power 5 team is expected to win by a huge margin which does not teach our young men to be respectful of the opponent. It only teaches them to show no mercy and run up the score on an obviously lesser opponent to make the subjective choice easier for the committee. By including all power 5 conference champs plus 3 at large teams in the college playoff, you allow teams to schedule much more competitive regular season non-conference games as no one fears the loss with keep them from being subjectively chosen. Then coaches do not have to chide their fan bases for not showing up to watch them pummel a much smaller university. You could even structure the non-conference games a bit so that the conferences played each other based upon their ranking in their conference from the previous year. An early season Ohio State verses Alabama game would draw much more attention than either of them playing a tiny university non-conference game. The 8-team playoff allows for many more regular season non-conference match ups between ranked teams. It also puts more emphasis on winning the conference title. If teams know winning their respective conference title gains them a shot at the national title, then they are more focused on the conference championship. As of right now, the conference titles are meaningless unless you are in the SEC as shown by the subjective choices of the committee. This would also dramatically broaden the interest of the country in the national college football process instead of it only being focused in the southeast. Thank you for taking the time to read this and feel free to re-post it anywhere you can.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not much to do up dere in cold Minnie-sootah eh?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one very long paragraph Jonathan.

At least divide into multiple paragraphs.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The case is made simply by making more games relevant. The empty stands in all but the playoff games prove it. That is the only reason it gets changed, money.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone bitches about the low quality of the semi-finals every fucking year.

Solution: Add even worse games to the mix. Because if #1 Alabama and #4 Oklahoma didn't bring the excitement, then surely #1 Alabama vs #8 UCF would have surely been a great game after the way they played against LSU's 2nd string defense.

:lol:

Just fucking stop with the stupid shit already. 4 is more than enough.

Jonathan Scarfpin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. What will finally drive the change is money. Many players are already sitting out non playoff bowl games and the attandance is tanking.

bama and OSU winning the title without even winning their respective conferences shows that upsets are possible as well as Texas beating Georgia last night. Just looking at ways to have a true champion and not just a subjective one.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice novel....use the enter key a few times.....

PS: This has never been done before. :L

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Case for 8

As a college football fan, I am exasperated by some of the talking heads of college sports bemoaning a transition to an 8-team playoff in college football. It is evident that this would not only be a good idea, it would help make college football more enjoyable for all involved. The goal of college athletics is to help develop young men and women into responsible and honorable people of integrity. The current college football system does not allow for that. We should be taught to respect all involved including our opponents. The current system causes many major power 5 conference teams to schedule non-conference opponents that are much weaker as the teams fear one loss will not allow them to be one of the four subjectively chosen teams. Also, in these extremely lopsided non-conference games the major power 5 team is expected to win by a huge margin which does not teach our young men to be respectful of the opponent. It only teaches them to show no mercy and run up the score on an obviously lesser opponent to make the subjective choice easier for the committee. By including all power 5 conference champs plus 3 at large teams in the college playoff, you allow teams to schedule much more competitive regular season non-conference games as no one fears the loss with keep them from being subjectively chosen. Then coaches do not have to chide their fan bases for not showing up to watch them pummel a much smaller university. You could even structure the non-conference games a bit so that the conferences played each other based upon their ranking in their conference from the previous year. An early season Ohio State verses Alabama game would draw much more attention than either of them playing a tiny university non-conference game. The 8-team playoff allows for many more regular season non-conference match ups between ranked teams. It also puts more emphasis on winning the conference title. If teams know winning their respective conference title gains them a shot at the national title, then they are more focused on the conference championship. As of right now, the conference titles are meaningless unless you are in the SEC as shown by the subjective choices of the committee. This would also dramatically broaden the interest of the country in the national college football process instead of it only being focused in the southeast. Thank you for taking the time to read this and feel free to re-post it anywhere you can.

Why do you hate paragraphs?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone bitches about the low quality of the semi-finals every fucking year.

Solution: Add even worse games to the mix. Because if #1 Alabama and #4 Oklahoma didn't bring the excitement, then surely #1 Alabama vs #8 UCF would have surely been a great game after the way they played against LSU's 2nd string defense.

:lol:

Just fucking stop with the stupid shit already. 4 is more than enough.

Nah, but see...the more games Bama plays, the more chances they suffer some key injury, making them vulnerable

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. Need to go back to the pre CFP and BCS type system. Major college football is different and doesn't need to have a playoff.

Retie conference champions to certain bowls and let the polls sort out the best team by voting on it.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. What will finally drive the change is money. Many players are already sitting out non playoff bowl games and the attandance is tanking.

bama and OSU winning the title without even winning their respective conferences shows that upsets are possible as well as Texas beating Georgia last night. Just looking at ways to have a true champion and not just a subjective one.
OSU won their conference the year they won the CFP title.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first "sentence" is fucked, can't figure out why there is a wall of gay. This year proves/argues against expansion and says the BCS would have been right.

I think 6 is perfectly the maximum for any given year (2 would have been fine this year) 8 is retarded like the wall of text.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one surprised there wasn’t a link for his sports blog given this was his first post here?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bowls don't give a shit about this. As long as networks are willing to fork over the cash and schools can be forced to sell a minimum amount of tickets, the bowls will continue...and may even multiply.

And the players don't give a shit if anyone is in the stands or not. They just want the free shit each of the bowls fork out.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. Need to go back to the pre CFP and BCS type system. Major college football is different and doesn't need to have a playoff.

Retie conference champions to certain bowls and let the polls sort out the best team by voting on it.

More and more, this is what I'm pining for.

Yeah, yeah, there wasn't a definitive champ in a lot of years, but that was also part of the charm; we could have decades-long arguments about who really was the best team that season. I mean, it was never my team anyway, so it's not like that system ever screwed me out of jack-squat

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more, this is what I'm pining for.

Yeah, yeah, there wasn't a definitive champ in a lot of years, but that was also part of the charm; we could have decades-long arguments about who really was the best team that season. I mean, it was never my team anyway, so it's not like that system ever screwed me out of jack-squat
I can live with any of them. What I would love to see are better OOC schedules. More good on good.

Unfortunately, I don't see going back to pre BCS days, BCS days, current CFP or expansion doing that. I think the schools have their heels dug in and ain't going to change.

Jonathan Scarfpin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya sorry guys it is a bit wordy.
Could have divided it a bit.
Dont ever want to have a blog.
Yep, wrong the OSU 2014.
Can use shorter words next time and maybe some pictures to make it easier.
Thanks for all of the input.