• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bears 2024 offseason thread

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are bears fans. We know our QBs always suck. The goal is to figure out why, address it, and bring one in that can succeed. I think it’s been bad for so long because the owners don’t give a shit. We might’ve lucked into a GM that can fix it, although the OC hire doesn’t necessarily feel like a good one.
It looks like people are skipping the "figure out why" part.

Playing half your games at Soldier Field might have something to do with it.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like people are skipping the "figure out why" part.

Playing half your games at Soldier Field might have something to do with it.

After watching the Bears for 40+ years, I would bet the farm that there's no way you can statistically back up this statement. Our QB's suck just as much on the road.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Bears for 40+ years, I would bet the farm that there's no way you can statistically back up this statement. Our QB's suck just as much on the road.
It's not just playing there, it's running an offense built around playing there, informed by a culture of playing there.

Let me put it this way - if there were always 50 mph winds in that stadium you wouldn't throw the ball at all, and when you got on the road you wouldn't be particularly good at throwing the ball. And when the team's been there for 80 years, that tendency would be pretty deep in everybody involved with the team.

Obviously the real effect is smaller, but I think it's there. And if you're only getting 90% of the value other teams would get out of a QB, investing heavily in one is a losing proposition.

What I don't think is that Chicago has spent decades unable to find competent offensive coaches. That doesn't seem likely.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just playing there, it's running an offense built around playing there, informed by a culture of playing there.

Let me put it this way - if there were always 50 mph winds in that stadium you wouldn't throw the ball at all, and when you got on the road you wouldn't be particularly good at throwing the ball. And when the team's been there for 80 years, that tendency would be pretty deep in everybody involved with the team.

Obviously the real effect is smaller, but I think it's there. And if you're only getting 90% of the value other teams would get out of a QB, investing heavily in one is a losing proposition.

What I don't think is that Chicago has spent decades unable to find competent offensive coaches. That doesn't seem likely.

Just stop...The Chicago Bears do not operate in a vacuum. You're trying to convince me that the Chicago Bears front office, ALL OF WHOM watched guys like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady pretty much dominate the league in severely cold weather...are like "Let's plan for NOT THAT?"

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just stop...The Chicago Bears do not operate in a vacuum. You're trying to convince me that the Chicago Bears front office, ALL OF WHOM watched guys like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady pretty much dominate the league in severely cold weather...are like "Let's plan for NOT THAT?"
So what do you attribute it to? 50 years of it.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you attribute it to? 50 years of it.
Ownership/Management and good old fashioned bad luck. While the former two are hard to overcome, ask any Chicagoan about Jerry Reinsdorf and they'll let you know the light shines on a dog's ass every now and again. So lucking into players factors too. It certainly isn't Soldier Field or Chicago weather though.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ownership/Management and good old fashioned bad luck. While the former two are hard to overcome, ask any Chicagoan about Jerry Reinsdorf and they'll let you know the light shines on a dog's ass every now and again. So lucking into players factors too. It certainly isn't Soldier Field or Chicago weather though.
If ownership has a mindset that's affecting the QBs, that won't change until you get new ownership.

70 years of bad luck? What did you guys do?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ownership has a mindset that's affecting the QBs, that won't change until you get new ownership.

70 years of bad luck? What did you guys do?

Bah...70 years? It's only been a crazy passing league for the past 20 or so.

What Dan Marino and Dan Fouts did in the 80s was insane for the time.

Basically you're putting a whole lot of onus on us for missing on about 4 QB's. Grossman/Cutler/Trubisky/Fields.

All 4 of them were drafted by individuals who are now no longer with the organization.

Times change. Bears should be aiming for a legitimate QB first and foremost when they are sitting on the 1 pick. It really is that simple.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bah...70 years? It's only been a crazy passing league for the past 20 or so.

What Dan Marino and Dan Fouts did in the 80s was insane for the time.

Basically you're putting a whole lot of onus on us for missing on about 4 QB's. Grossman/Cutler/Trubisky/Fields.

All 4 of them were drafted by individuals who are now no longer with the organization.

Times change. Bears should be aiming for a legitimate QB first and foremost when they are sitting on the 1 pick. It really is that simple.
I don't trust the idea that a flashy stat-gobbling QB would be just as good in Chicago as he would be somewhere else. You think you just didn't hit on a great QB. Maybe you're right, but without really knowing I'd be reluctant to throw top draft capital at QBs.

Cutler wan't a miss, he was a known commodity. He was just a little worse in Chicago. Pretty sure if you ship Fields he's going to be better in his new destination. Maybe not a lot, but better. (And I think you should ship Fields.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalen being Jalen:

I don't think anyone, even those of us who were glad Poles passed on taking him, has ever doubted his raw talent. But a particular concern of mine was how long would he remain such a force. When evaluating Darnell Wright, whom Poles chose instead, it's not far fetched at all to think 10 years rrom now he'll still be a force at the OT spot. I wouldn't place that same bet on Carter. Something tells me it will be one thing or another year after year.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the bright side...Even though getting Sweat killed off our "2 picks in the top 5" dream....He is a baller. Needed that pass rush desperately.
Another mindless post that don't make any sense by Jiddy.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears saved 21.5 mill towards the salary cap by releasing G Cody Whitehair and S Eddie Jackson.