• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the avg KC

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This idea could gain traction, especially if Cousins racks up a few more fourth-quarter gems. He opened October by directing a 15-play, 90-yard touchdown drive in the final two minutes to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles, 23-20, punctuating the victory with a 4-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Pierre Garcon. For his closing act in the month, Cousins led the biggest comeback in franchise history.

With Cousins playing brilliantly in the second half (21-of-25, 3 TDs), the Redskins rallied from a 24-0 second-quarter deficit to stun the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 31-30. Only 24 seconds remained on the game clock after Cousins and tight end Jordan Reed connected on a 6-yard touchdown pass to cap an 11-play, 80-yard drive.

"He's obviously shown some flashes of being one heck of a quarterback," coach Jay Gruden said of Cousins earlier this week. Long before Gruden announced Cousins would enter the regular season as the starter, Washington's staff had determined Cousins was far ahead of Griffin in operating the Redskins' West Coast offense, people familiar with their thinking say. Cousins continued to show improvement in the short-passing system that's predicated on timing and rhythm, prompting Gruden and general manager Scot McCloughan to bench Griffin despite owner Daniel Snyder's affinity for the NFL's 2012 offensive rookie of the year.

Against the Buccaneers, Cousins went 24-for-26 on passes traveling 5 or fewer yards, including 14-for-15 with three touchdowns in the final two quarters, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He has eight touchdowns on such throws this season, tied for the most in the NFL.

Kirk Cousins and tight end Jordan Reed connected on the game-winning TD pass vs. the Bucs. AP Photo/Patrick Semansky
Here's what the numbers mean: Cousins definitely is the best option on the roster to run Gruden's offense. The problem is, Cousins' failure to protect the football remains a problem.

"You, like, scratch your head sometimes," Gruden said.

In four of Washington's seven games, Cousins has thrown two interceptions. Obviously, that's not good. But Cousins has a respectable 58.8 total QBR, ranking 17th in the league. In the final year of his rookie contract, Cousins is a bargain at $660,000.

Gruden has a lot invested in Cousins, who has led the team to a 3-4 mark entering its bye week. When you stand on a table for someone who is not the owner's choice, your guy had better succeed. But McCloughan needs to see more consistency from Cousins to recommend sticking with him.

before the tampa game Ebb 5 said that KC was below avg and that i couldnt find stats to back up my position .

above his QBR , which rates everything a qb does in a game has him at 17th overall or , here it comes , the epitomy of avg .

i believe he said that because he was angry about the jets game and couldnt get past the emotion which clouded his judgement . the above stats surely seal it that at this point , and i mean , this point he is about an avg qb

that rating is likely to fall next week and rise the following but in the end it will drop in right around avg

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article a few days ago. Good article. Cousins displays a lot of qualities of a good QB. At times accuracy is lacking, that can be worked on with improved footwork. That leaves decision making. He can run the offense, so the question is can he cut down the TOs. That and consistency is what he needs to show. My hope for him this year was: 20 TDs, 15 Ints, 3500-4000 yards with 6 wins. If he can do that I hope they resign him to a modest contract and we get to see if he can improve even more next year.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly would that modest contract (both monetary-wise and length-wise of contract) for KC look see in your opinion, Sportster? Below is a site breaking down details of a player's contract. I used Alex Smith just as an example, but you can put in any player's name in the search function. If perhaps there's already a QB signed to a contract in line or close to what you mean by modest. You can post that. Or you can look at what other QBs are making and perhaps get a gauge of what you think is fair to Cousins based on the stats you projected for KC.

Alex Smith Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tandler suggests

QB Kirk Cousins (age 28 at start of 2016 season, 2015 cap number $778,000)—This could be huge or it could be almost an afterthought, depending on how Cousins plays in the remaining nine games. If his performance is good enough to warrant starter status in 2015, he could get a deal something like Nick Foles’ extension with the Rams. In August, Foles, who was going into the final year of his rookie contract, signed for two years and $24.5 million in new money. $12 million is guaranteed and, in reality, that is the total value of the deal. There is no guaranteed money in the final year of the deal so the Rams could easily cut ties after 2016 with minimal cap pain. Cousins could get something similar if the Redskins want him to be their starter next year.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, that does seem like a pretty decent deal for both sides, at least from my perspective which is.........

For the Skins it says, we're still not absolutely sure, but you did impress enough to earn a decent piece of change and warrant further consideration.......or maybe it just says, we don't foresee anyone as a better option than you in the near future so here ya go kid.

For KC its another year where he's a starting QB in the NFL. A year in which he and everyone else will know. He's the unquestioned, no caveats needed, don't ask me shit about Robert Griffin III or RG3 he had his shot, this one is all mine from day one. I appreciate the 12 million dollar atta boy and all that from you guys (Skins brass) and I'll remember it well, believe that! When we're re-negotiating my new shit next year after I rip up the fuckin league.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tandler suggests

QB Kirk Cousins (age 28 at start of 2016 season, 2015 cap number $778,000)—This could be huge or it could be almost an afterthought, depending on how Cousins plays in the remaining nine games. If his performance is good enough to warrant starter status in 2015, he could get a deal something like Nick Foles’ extension with the Rams. In August, Foles, who was going into the final year of his rookie contract, signed for two years and $24.5 million in new money. $12 million is guaranteed and, in reality, that is the total value of the deal. There is no guaranteed money in the final year of the deal so the Rams could easily cut ties after 2016 with minimal cap pain. Cousins could get something similar if the Redskins want him to be their starter next year.

Before I saw Cali's post I looked up Josh McCown and Nick Foles. We know Cousins is a FA at the end of the year. Could there be a bidding war? Should the Skins offer a contract before that happens in an effort to prevent having to outbid someone? It is a poker match if he becomes a FA.

I had a lower number in mind than Cali posted - 3 years for $10 million. But the number Cali posted works too. There have been a few contracts for QBs that when first viewed look out of control but the teams can get out of them after one or two years without a large cap penalty.

I just don't see a better avenue for next year at this point. It looks like any QB coming out in the draft is going to need time. There is no one I see readily available that I would want to trade for or acquire as a FA. At the same time I am not SM, I trust him to make a good decision. Would be nice to see a coach and QB in the same system for another year though. That has been a huge problem in DC.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is absolutely the key here, if not Kirk then who would be a better option? I am convinced he will be back but with a Kap like deal in SF where the team could get out with little pain after year 2 or so. But the deal will sound like a huge overpay at first because that's what starting QBs in the league make.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am thinking 4 yrs 35 mil 12 guaranteed

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This idea could gain traction, especially if Cousins racks up a few more fourth-quarter gems. He opened October by directing a 15-play, 90-yard touchdown drive in the final two minutes to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles, 23-20, punctuating the victory with a 4-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Pierre Garcon. For his closing act in the month, Cousins led the biggest comeback in franchise history.

With Cousins playing brilliantly in the second half (21-of-25, 3 TDs), the Redskins rallied from a 24-0 second-quarter deficit to stun the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 31-30. Only 24 seconds remained on the game clock after Cousins and tight end Jordan Reed connected on a 6-yard touchdown pass to cap an 11-play, 80-yard drive.

"He's obviously shown some flashes of being one heck of a quarterback," coach Jay Gruden said of Cousins earlier this week. Long before Gruden announced Cousins would enter the regular season as the starter, Washington's staff had determined Cousins was far ahead of Griffin in operating the Redskins' West Coast offense, people familiar with their thinking say. Cousins continued to show improvement in the short-passing system that's predicated on timing and rhythm, prompting Gruden and general manager Scot McCloughan to bench Griffin despite owner Daniel Snyder's affinity for the NFL's 2012 offensive rookie of the year.

Against the Buccaneers, Cousins went 24-for-26 on passes traveling 5 or fewer yards, including 14-for-15 with three touchdowns in the final two quarters, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He has eight touchdowns on such throws this season, tied for the most in the NFL.

Kirk Cousins and tight end Jordan Reed connected on the game-winning TD pass vs. the Bucs. AP Photo/Patrick Semansky
Here's what the numbers mean: Cousins definitely is the best option on the roster to run Gruden's offense. The problem is, Cousins' failure to protect the football remains a problem.

"You, like, scratch your head sometimes," Gruden said.

In four of Washington's seven games, Cousins has thrown two interceptions. Obviously, that's not good. But Cousins has a respectable 58.8 total QBR, ranking 17th in the league. In the final year of his rookie contract, Cousins is a bargain at $660,000.

Gruden has a lot invested in Cousins, who has led the team to a 3-4 mark entering its bye week. When you stand on a table for someone who is not the owner's choice, your guy had better succeed. But McCloughan needs to see more consistency from Cousins to recommend sticking with him.

before the tampa game Ebb 5 said that KC was below avg and that i couldnt find stats to back up my position .

above his QBR , which rates everything a qb does in a game has him at 17th overall or , here it comes , the epitomy of avg .

i believe he said that because he was angry about the jets game and couldnt get past the emotion which clouded his judgement . the above stats surely seal it that at this point , and i mean , this point he is about an avg qb

that rating is likely to fall next week and rise the following but in the end it will drop in right around avg

Lol. Wasnt angry, just logical and admitting the facts. The funny thing is that I have no problem admitting when Cousins plays well. Im just rooting for the team - obviously I want Cousins to succeed. You on the other hand seem to struggle with honest assessments.

Its comical to me that you think Cousins being good against TB makes you any less wrong about what you were saying before it about Cousins stats.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is absolutely the key here, if not Kirk then who would be a better option? I am convinced he will be back but with a Kap like deal in SF where the team could get out with little pain after year 2 or so. But the deal will sound like a huge overpay at first because that's what starting QBs in the league make.

The better question is who would be worse. Ive never ruled out that Cousins could be a good QB in this league and the TB game is obviously encouraging. But I want to see that more. If he just reverts back to his inconsistent borderline starter self than whats the point in resigning him for any more than backup/fringe starter money.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The better question is who would be worse. Ive never ruled out that Cousins could be a good QB in this league and the TB game is obviously encouraging. But I want to see that more. If he just reverts back to his inconsistent borderline starter self than whats the point in resigning him for any more than backup/fringe starter money.
If you think Kirk is bad you may want to watch a Houston, Cleveland, or Titans game. Even with his inconsistent play it can always be worse.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Wasnt angry, just logical and admitting the facts. The funny thing is that I have no problem admitting when Cousins plays well. Im just rooting for the team - obviously I want Cousins to succeed. You on the other hand seem to struggle with honest assessments.

Its comical to me that you think Cousins being good against TB makes you any less wrong about what you were saying before it about Cousins stats.

i dont struggle with honest assessments , he was avg before , during and after the jets game by eyes and by stats

his play and stats will rise and they will fall but in the end he will hit right about avg because that is what he is

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, we are still left with the same question.

Is the team better off going forward with an average KC for the next few seasons knowing he will have his good and bad days. This would allow the front office to concentrate on other glaring needs for the team ( secondary, Pass rush, water boy)

Or is the team better off going in a different direction at QB as a primary need and hoping we can find an above average to franchise QB either in FA or the Draft next off season?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is the team better off going forward with an average KC for the next few seasons knowing he will have his good and bad days. This would allow the front office to concentrate on other glaring needs for the team ( secondary, Pass rush, water boy)

Or is the team better off going in a different direction at QB as a primary need and hoping we can find an above average to franchise QB either in FA or the Draft next off season?

The answer could be in the middle. Look at the current group of QBs that are viewed as top QBs at this time. It is a mixture of both top 10 picks and some that were picked much lower (Brady, Brees, Dalton, Wilson, etc). I don't think that there is any magic formula for developing an NFL QB.

The middle ground could involve sticking with Cousins for a few more years (barring a complete disaster for the remainder of this season) during which time he either develops into a consistently effective QB or simply holds a place for the next guy. A QB selected in the late 1st or 2nd round (or later) could be developed during this time. Look at Carr - 2nd round pick who is doing very well now & very likely could be the Raiders QB of the future.

Free agency could be considered but this is only successful in a handful of cases that involve unique circumstances (Peyton, Brees, Palmer). Generally teams don't make their QBs available unless they are aging or coming off an injury (or both).

In any case - I will leave this to SM - I am sure that he & his people will figure it out.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wat?!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What choice do we have? Is there a QB that will be a FA next year that is markedly better than cousins? Is there a potential draftee that will be ready? IMO, the answer to both of those questions is no. So unless KC completely implodes the next 9 games, I have to believe KC is the QB for next year or two untiL we can draft his replacement and groom him.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Kirk is bad you may want to watch a Houston, Cleveland, or Titans game. Even with his inconsistent play it can always be worse.

All 3 of those teams qbs have been at least as good as kirk which was kinda my point. The brian hours and Josh mccowns of the world aren't really any different right now. Not sure why you think we're so much better off than those teams.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont struggle with honest assessments , he was avg before , during and after the jets game by eyes and by stats

his play and stats will rise and they will fall but in the end he will hit right about avg because that is what he is

That whole first sentence is false.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All 3 of those teams qbs have been at least as good as kirk which was kinda my point. The brian hours and Josh mccowns of the world aren't really any different right now. Not sure why you think we're so much better off than those teams.

You know I'm not a huge Kirk guy for the long term. But we know what Josh McCowan and Brian Hoyer are. There is still room for Kirk to grow. And if there's 2 minutes to go down 6 I know which one of the 3 I want.