• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Alex Smith Trade

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So to date, we have gotten Tank Carradine, a 2014 third-rounder, and the pick we used to move up for Lemonier. All that in addition to the Chiefs' pick next year.

Based on what the Chiefs have done this offseason, there's a decent chance that conditional becomes a second. Frankly, it's good for us they didn't move Albert as he'll have more impact this year than a rookie would and they should be able to protect Alex. And if they don't do well, it will be a mid-third or higher. I also can't see the Titans' pick being outside the top-10 in that round.

We could realistically get three very good starters out of that trade. Baalke is a damn genius. Most of the time (still not loving the trade up for Reid and I think we reached a bit for McDonald, though I hope I'm wrong in both cases).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A 2nd round pick in 2014 would be so damn sweet.

I still cannot believe he was able to get us a 2014 3rd round pick while still being able to land one of our favorites in "Benjamin Danz".

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've got to say whether you agree or not if Baalke should trade in the 1st place he still pretty much wins on heavily on the trade he makes.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going to play close attention to how these two players pan out (Damontre Moore & Corey Lemonier). I am giving Baalke major kudos for what the Alex trade could bring us. But at the same time you have to evaluate Baalke by looking at the entire picture. We must also analyze what it meant to pass up on Floyd/Patterson/Rhodes/Cyprien/Elam and still consider what it meant to give up the #74th pick of the draft.

To give him his final grade, one must take all these issues into consideration IMO.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the fact that they are going after guys they really like. They traded up for Kaep and people didn't like that, but it is turning out alright. I like the fact that they stockpile picks in the next years in order to have ammo to get the guys they really like.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade that keeps on giving.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF got the better deal. KC always picks up these SF QB's on their way out of the league. Why cant this organization learn from the past?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going to play close attention to how these two players pan out (Damontre Moore & Corey Lemonier). I am giving Baalke major kudos for what the Alex trade could bring us. But at the same time you have to evaluate Baalke by looking at the entire picture. We must also analyze what it meant to pass up on Floyd/Patterson/Rhodes/Cyprien/Elam and still consider what it meant to give up the #74th pick of the draft.

To give him his final grade, one must take all these issues into consideration IMO.

you're correct Bingo, he should be judged on his entire 'body of work'.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SF got the better deal. KC always picks up these SF QB's on their way out of the league. Why cant this organization learn from the past?

in this recent case, KC was in a VERY tough spot. there were no great FA nor draftable QB's?

so either you don't address QB 'hard' this season and deflate fans, or give up more than you want to getting Alex. Alex isn't the greatest FA but he's enough to get their fans to buy in. 'buy in' meaning to show their fans the FO is making moves to win NOW. Alex really does give them a chance if he continues with few turnovers.

they might've tried to play hardball, but there is no way they know how hard another team is pursuing Alex?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would wait until Alex is gone before I said that. A lot of people have multiple times thought Smith was out of SF - 2007, 2011, and now in 2013, six years after the first time, they are right.

I was an Alex Smith supporter while he was here and now support Kaepernick. I started supporting Kaep when Harbaugh named him the starter, not after we clinched #2. I switched because I trusted Harbaugh more than what I saw in the two great games Kaep put together, but I knew that Kaepernick was more skilled before that.

in this recent case, KC was in a VERY tough spot. there were no great FA nor draftable QB's?

so either you don't address QB 'hard' this season and deflate fans, or give up more than you want to getting Alex. Alex isn't the greatest FA but he's enough to get their fans to buy in. 'buy in' meaning to show their fans the FO is making moves to win NOW. Alex really does give them a chance if he continues with few turnovers.

they might've tried to play hardball, but there is no way they know how hard another team is pursuing Alex?

Yeah, I heard Buffalo offered a 2nd and 6th. Not sure why KC didn't offer a 2nd and 5th or a 2014 4th rounder, but maybe they just wanted Buffalo to go away.

I expect Smith, under a pass happy Reid, to have more yards, more TDs, more INTs, a lower YPA, and a lower rating. I expect KC to finish at worst with 7 wins and at most 10. But that has a lot to do with the schedule. I hope they get 10, as that would get us the 2nd rounder, most likely (but they may need to get into the playoffs to turn the 3rd into a 2nd - that may require more or fewer than 10 wins). I won't pretend to not also support Alex, but I am a Niner first.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would wait until Alex is gone before I said that. A lot of people have multiple times thought Smith was out of SF - 2007, 2011, and now in 2013, six years after the first time, they are right.

I was an Alex Smith supporter while he was here and now support Kaepernick. I started supporting Kaep when Harbaugh named him the starter, not after we clinched #2. I switched because I trusted Harbaugh more than what I saw in the two great games Kaep put together, but I knew that Kaepernick was more skilled before that.

Yeah, I heard Buffalo offered a 2nd and 6th. Not sure why KC didn't offer a 2nd and 5th or a 2014 4th rounder, but maybe they just wanted Buffalo to go away.

I expect Smith, under a pass happy Reid, to have more yards, more TDs, more INTs, a lower YPA, and a lower rating. I expect KC to finish at worst with 7 wins and at most 10. But that has a lot to do with the schedule. I hope they get 10, as that would get us the 2nd rounder. I won't pretend to not also support Alex, but I am a Niner first.

we can only assume KC didn't know what Buffalo offered, cause why would Buffalo make it public? so KC not knowing what the competition was, can't assume things.

if KC gets their OT situation in gear, ie get Albert to buy in, they have a chance for 7 wins. but i know, easier said than done?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can only assume KC didn't know what Buffalo offered, cause why would Buffalo make it public? so KC not knowing what the competition was, can't assume things.

if KC gets their OT situation in gear, ie get Albert to buy in, they have a chance for 7 wins. but i know, easier said than done?

Good point as to the compensation. SF would have no incentive to tell KC specifics, make them panic. The Buffalo offer is just what I heard, but I don't know.

As to the record prediction, I'm going off of the belief that Andy Reid may not be a SB coach, but he gives you four more regular season wins (two games will be easy enough that 2012 KC would win, and 4 will be one where 2012 should have won with a better coach, bringing it to six). Six wins.

KC had six pro-bowlers, mostly on defense and they've added there. Now, they have a QB that likely won't turn the ball over as much as Cassel. That leads, in theory, to a better turnover ratio. We had a great turnover ratio in 2011 and dropped a bit in 2012 but stayed great. I feel that a good turnover ratio gives them at least one more win than that (the expected loss, even with Reid, turns into one more) - hence the 7 minimum guess for me. Seven wins.

Any more than that, I think would be the schedule. And luck and home/road factor. 8 is my conservative optimistic guess. That won't likely get us the second rounder, so I'd be disappointed.

But, as you always say, we fans can be overly optimistic or pessimistic. We don't know and the coaches don't know. That's why they play the games.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The good news for us about KC's draft is they picked up ILB and RB picks fairly early instead of drafting another QB. Those picks should pay off immediately for this year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I can see now why the Chiefs gave up so much for Smith. There was no one they liked in the draft.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shhh. we might need to trade another one later on

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope I live long enough to see a day when there's not an AS thread in the first five pages of our forum.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope I live long enough to see a day when there's not an AS thread in the first five pages of our forum.

In that case I vote we sticky this thread.

dr-evil-laughing.gif