• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Alex Smith Trade

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would have to believe that Tolzien has had two full seasons learning our offense, therefore he would be the frontrunner for the backup QB job. If McCoy is willing to put the necessary time in to leap over Tolzien in terms of his grasp of our offense, I could see it going to McCoy, but I expect that Tolzien would be the backup.

yep, this isn't so far fetched, Tolzien has a legit chance to hold #2.

did McCoy receive any guarantees? cause if not, not a given he even sticks?

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt will be the backup, he is more mobile and will do a better job running the offense, ST is a smart player and will be 3rd string

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers used Kansas City’s second-round pick this year to add another pick in the third round next year.

And depending on how the Chiefs play, it could net the 49ers yet another second-rounder next year.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated has filled in the blanks on the conditional 2014 pick the Chiefs owe the 49ers to complete the Alex Smith trade, noting that it’s a second-rounder if the Chiefs go 8-8 or better, but will be a third if they’re 7-9 or worse.

Getting to .500 could be a reasonable goal for the Chiefs, who have checked off many boxes this offseason, beginning with finding a quarterback.

And the better Smith plays, the better able his old team will be to make more draft-day moves.

The 49ers could have as many as three extra third-rounders in addition to their own picks, which would mean six of the first 100 picks.

They own Tennessee’s third by trading this year’s 34th overall pick so the Titans could move up six spots to get wide receiver Justin Hunter.

They’ll get the pick to be determined from the Chiefs, and probably a compensatory third-rounder for losing free agent safety Dashon Goldson and not signing a replacement in free agency.

That means the 49ers will either have a first, two seconds and three thirds if the Chiefs make a giant leap, or a first, a second and four thirds. The 49ers also have Carolina’s seventh-rounder from a 2012 trade for special teamer Colin Jones.

That means they can continue to make moves, and use picks on fliers such as injured running back Marcus Lattimore, chances other teams with limited picks can’t afford to take

If Chiefs go 8-8, they owe 49ers a second | ProFootballTalk

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little surprised about the Eifert talk the last few weeks...

I get that he is a good prospect, and I don't doubt he will do well on Sundays. But I don't understand the regret or disappoinment by some fans that the 49ers didn't draft him. The Niners already have one of the best TE's (if not the best) in the league. The position vacated by Delanie Walker was more of a utilty role (a little of everything role). How does Eifert fill that role? Isn't Eifert more of a TE where you would hilight him as a consistant threat rather than a do everything including special teams kind of player?

The other thing that I'm wondering about is how some value individual positions in the draft. I hadn't realised that TE's were so much more valued over the saftey position? I had always thought they were on a similar level as far as value (not that I buy position value much anymore, but I'm basing this on how others have preached about this in the past)...

I guess it just doesn't add up to me. I can see the potential weapon in Eifert, but how well would he have fit in the current system?

double TE works for the pats.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers used Kansas City’s second-round pick this year to add another pick in the third round next year.

And depending on how the Chiefs play, it could net the 49ers yet another second-rounder next year.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated has filled in the blanks on the conditional 2014 pick the Chiefs owe the 49ers to complete the Alex Smith trade, noting that it’s a second-rounder if the Chiefs go 8-8 or better, but will be a third if they’re 7-9 or worse.

Getting to .500 could be a reasonable goal for the Chiefs, who have checked off many boxes this offseason, beginning with finding a quarterback.

And the better Smith plays, the better able his old team will be to make more draft-day moves.

The 49ers could have as many as three extra third-rounders in addition to their own picks, which would mean six of the first 100 picks.

They own Tennessee’s third by trading this year’s 34th overall pick so the Titans could move up six spots to get wide receiver Justin Hunter.

They’ll get the pick to be determined from the Chiefs, and probably a compensatory third-rounder for losing free agent safety Dashon Goldson and not signing a replacement in free agency.

That means the 49ers will either have a first, two seconds and three thirds if the Chiefs make a giant leap, or a first, a second and four thirds. The 49ers also have Carolina’s seventh-rounder from a 2012 trade for special teamer Colin Jones.

That means they can continue to make moves, and use picks on fliers such as injured running back Marcus Lattimore, chances other teams with limited picks can’t afford to take

If Chiefs go 8-8, they owe 49ers a second | ProFootballTalk

go chiefs?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
go chiefs?

They better go 8-8. That team has so much talent, it's just ashame they were that bad in 2012. I'm happy they kept Brandon Albert too - it increases their chance of going 8-8 or better.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
8-8 is pretty doable for them.

They have talent but Cassel was terrible and Romeo is terrible as a HC.

Smith isn't going to have them charging head long into Super Bowl contention but he'll have way less turnovers compared to Cassel and Reid should get much better production out of the offense.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking playoffs and that was doable for them. They lost so many games due to QB turnovers

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Branden Albert - T - Chiefs

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs LT Branden Albert "realizes" he'll be playing in Kansas City this season, and that both sides want to get an extension done.

Albert must be warming up to an extension since the Chiefs have made it clear No. 1 pick Eric Fisher will play right tackle as long as Albert's in town. It's baffling that the Chiefs would use the No. 1 pick on a tackle only to stick him on the right side long-term, so perhaps the extension talk is just a ploy to leverage possible trade suitors into sweetening their offers. Trading Albert for 2014 draft-pick compensation still makes the most sense for Kansas City.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 6 - 11:01 AM

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is the chiefs schedule

Week 1. @ Jacksonville Jaguars (Sept. 8, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 2. Dallas Cowboys (Sept. 15, 12 p.m., Fox)
Week 3. @ Philadelphia Eagles (Sept. 19, 7:25 p.m., NFLN)
Week 4. New York Giants (Sept. 29, 12 p.m., Fox)
Week 5. @ Tennessee Titans (Oct. 6, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 6. Oakland Raiders (Oct 13, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 7. Houston Texans (Oct 20, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 8. Cleveland Browns (Oct. 27, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 9. @ Buffalo Bills (Nov. 3, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 10. BYE
Week 11. @ Denver Broncos (Nov. 17, 3:05 p.m., CBS)
Week 12. San Diego Chargers (Nov. 24, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 13. Denver Broncos (Dec. 1, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 14. @ Washington Redskins (Dec. 8, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 15. @ Oakland Raiders (Dec. 15, 3:05 p.m., CBS)
Week 16. Indianapolis Colts (Dec. 22, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 17. @ San Diego Chargers (Dec. 29, 3:25 p.m., CBS)

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the chiefs schedule

Week 1. @ Jacksonville Jaguars (Sept. 8, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 2. Dallas Cowboys (Sept. 15, 12 p.m., Fox)
Week 3. @ Philadelphia Eagles (Sept. 19, 7:25 p.m., NFLN)
Week 4. New York Giants (Sept. 29, 12 p.m., Fox)
Week 5. @ Tennessee Titans (Oct. 6, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 6. Oakland Raiders (Oct 13, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 7. Houston Texans (Oct 20, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 8. Cleveland Browns (Oct. 27, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 9. @ Buffalo Bills (Nov. 3, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 10. BYE
Week 11. @ Denver Broncos (Nov. 17, 3:05 p.m., CBS)
Week 12. San Diego Chargers (Nov. 24, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 13. Denver Broncos (Dec. 1, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 14. @ Washington Redskins (Dec. 8, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 15. @ Oakland Raiders (Dec. 15, 3:05 p.m., CBS)
Week 16. Indianapolis Colts (Dec. 22, 12 p.m., CBS)
Week 17. @ San Diego Chargers (Dec. 29, 3:25 p.m., CBS)

I see 8-11 wins on that schedule. 4 games they should be favorites (@Jax, Oak, Cle, @Oak) 4 very winnable games (Dal, @Phily, @Buff, SD) and 3 Tossup games (@Tenn, Ind, @SD). I think at least 8 wins is doable for KC this season.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The funny thing would be if Alex Smith got hurt and some other QB lead them to an 8-8 record.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see 8-11 wins on that schedule. 4 games they should be favorites (@Jax, Oak, Cle, @Oak) 4 very winnable games (Dal, @Phily, @Buff, SD) and 3 Tossup games (@Tenn, Ind, @SD). I think at least 8 wins is doable for KC this season.

What's worse, "winnable" or "tossup"? I don't think much of Tennessee, though they had a pretty good offseason. Their OL should be much better this year, and with Chris Johnson behind it that's a good thing. But I still think they're a lesser team unless Locker makes a big jump.

8 wins is ENTIRELY doable for this team. They're by far the best bad team last year in terms of talent.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The funny thing would be if Alex Smith got hurt and some other QB lead them to an 8-8 record.

I thought Smith himself had to reach certain benchmarks also, but that may not be the case.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they should have added someone like Mike Glennon to come in as a backup. But Reid loves mobile QBs to run his offense. If that team fails to go 8-8 next year, I'd be shocked.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better go 8-8. That team has so much talent, it's just ashame they were that bad in 2012. I'm happy they kept Brandon Albert too - it increases their chance of going 8-8 or better.

there, showing my support for next years draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought the 2nd / 3rd rounder next year depended on whether they make the playoffs or not. Going 8-8 to make it a 1st is even better! That means the possible range of picks I gave were too low.

Worst case scenario: The Chiefs go exactly 7-9.
Best case scenario: The Chiefs go exactly 8-8.