• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ACC Thread

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of questions for you my friend:

1/ What are your reasons for not liking Capel?

2/ Who is your recommendation to replace Coach K when the time comes?

1.) He hasn't proven himself to be a very good P6 coach. Duke hiring Capel would be a huge reach.

2.) It doesn't matter because Coach K is going to have a say in who his successor is and it's going to be someone from his coaching tree. If you were to ignore the Coach K coaching tree, I'd go after Donovan.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) He hasn't proven himself to be a very good P6 coach. Duke hiring Capel would be a huge reach.

2.) It doesn't matter because Coach K is going to have a say in who his successor is and it's going to be someone from his coaching tree. If you were to ignore the Coach K coaching tree, I'd go after Donovan.

I don't have to defend him but I can give you reasons why he won't be a bust at Duke-

I don't think it to be a huge reach at all. He took over an 0-18 ACC/Pitt team and they look very much like they are on the verge of turning the corner there after just a season and a half. He has proven he can recruit at the highest level. He was more successful at OU than unsuccessful getting to a 2nd round and an E8. He knows the current system and has played and mentored under Coach K. I think he'd be a great hire IMHO and he's just 44 years old.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have to defend him but I can give you reasons why he won't be a bust at Duke-

I don't think it to be a huge reach at all. He took over an 0-18 ACC/Pitt team and they look very much like they are on the verge of turning the corner there after just a season and a half. He has proven he can recruit at the highest level. He was more successful at OU than unsuccessful getting to a 2nd round and an E8. He knows the current system and has played and mentored under Coach K. I think he'd be a great hire IMHO and he's just 44 years old.

1.) Danny Manning looked good early on, mostly because he wasn't Jeff Bzdelik. Congrats to Capel on not being as bad as Stallings.

2.) He wasn't successful at Oklahoma. Most of his success can be traced to Blake Griffin, who he was handed on a silver platter. Capel finished six games below .500 in conference play at Oklahoma. 27-36 overall record after Griffin left.

3.) His recruiting at Pittsburgh has been lackluster. Looks like recruiting for himself and not Coach K is a bit different.

In conclusion, Capel would be a terrible hire and Duke could do so much better.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) Danny Manning looked good early on, mostly because he wasn't Jeff Bzdelik. Congrats to Capel on not being as bad as Stallings.

2.) He wasn't successful at Oklahoma. Most of his success can be traced to Blake Griffin, who he was handed on a silver platter. Capel finished six games below .500 in conference play at Oklahoma. 27-36 overall record after Griffin left.

3.) His recruiting at Pittsburgh has been lackluster. Looks like recruiting for himself and not Coach K is a bit different.

We're all guessing at this point about what Duke will do when the time comes. I'm guessing that the next head coach will be someone in the Duke family but that guess might end up being wrong too.

As I said to douggie, I like Tommy Amaker best if the next head coach is within the Duke family but for all I know Amaker is very happy doing what he is doing now. Many personal decisions, as well as business decisions, enter into the equation when it comes to a hire of this magnitude. With that said, you and I will just have to agree to disagree that Capel would be a terrible hire if it comes down to that because I think Capel is an outstanding coach, recruiter, and hard worker.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all guessing at this point about what Duke will do when the time comes. I'm guessing that the next head coach will be someone in the Duke family but that guess might end up being wrong too.

As I said to douggie, I like Tommy Amaker best if the next head coach is within the Duke family but for all I know Amaker is very happy doing what he is doing now. Many personal decisions, as well as business decisions, enter into the equation when it comes to a hire of this magnitude. With that said, you and I will just have to agree to disagree that Capel would be a terrible hire if it comes down to that because I think Capel is an outstanding coach, recruiter, and hard worker.

The problem with Amaker is that he's only excelled in the Ivy League. and coaching in the Ivy League is much different than coaching in any other league.

Amaker has ten years of P6 coaching experience and he didn't exactly catch the world on fire. 75-89 combined conference record at Seton Hall and Michigan. Only one NCAAT appearance.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Amaker is that he's only excelled in the Ivy League. and coaching in the Ivy League is much different than coaching in any other league.

Amaker has ten years of P6 coaching experience and he didn't exactly catch the world on fire. 75-89 combined conference record at Seton Hall and Michigan. Only one NCAAT appearance.

So, who would your first choice be if it's someone within the Duke family?

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, who would your first choice be if it's someone within the Duke family?

giphy.gif

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Manning has never been a Wake Forest guy or in the fold as he was hired by an idiot Athletic Director. And yes Stallings sucked and wasn't a good hire to begin with, at least we can agree about that. Where we're gonna disagree is Capel being a "terrible hire" which is simply ridiculous. On his record at OU? Is that what you're basing your analogy on?

Well, if that's the case a guy named Dean Smith was NEVER even a head coach before getting the UNC position and started his first three seasons 8-9 15-6, and 12-12, oh, and another 15-6 record in his 4th year and in his 5th year was 16-11, not exactly a great resume. Then there was a guy named Krzyzewski, was 11-14, 20-8, 19-9, 14-11, and 9-17 AT ARMY, nothing even close to Capel's records. Then his first three seasons at Duke were 17-13, 10-17, and 11-17, again, not as impressive of numbers as Capel's. And I damn sure wouldn't care for Donovan, a non-Duke guy who caught lightening in a bottle for back to back championships, who even by your standards measuring Capel had a record previous to Florida of 18-9 and 17-11 at Marshall before getting hired there.

Capel would be a fine hire for Duke to succeed K as well as others I've mentioned, we will just have to disagree on this one.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning has never been a Wake Forest guy or in the fold as he was hired by an idiot Athletic Director. And yes Stallings sucked and wasn't a good hire to begin with, at least we can agree about that. Where we're gonna disagree is Capel being a "terrible hire" which is simply ridiculous. On his record at OU? Is that what you're basing your analogy on?

Well, if that's the case a guy named Dean Smith was NEVER even a head coach before getting the UNC position and started his first three seasons 8-9 15-6, and 12-12, oh, and another 15-6 record in his 4th year and in his 5th year was 16-11, not exactly a great resume. Then there was a guy named Krzyzewski, was 11-14, 20-8, 19-9, 14-11, and 9-17 AT ARMY, nothing even close to Capel's records. Then his first three seasons at Duke were 17-13, 10-17, and 11-17, again, not as impressive of numbers as Capel's. And I damn sure wouldn't care for Donovan, a non-Duke guy who caught lightening in a bottle for back to back championships, who even by your standards measuring Capel had a record previous to Florida of 18-9 and 17-11 at Marshall before getting hired there.

Capel would be a fine hire for Duke to succeed K as well as others I've mentioned, we will just have to disagree on this one.

Having no P6 coaching experience is better than being a failed P6 coach. Capel is the latter.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated rankings after all games of 2/1:
KenPom: UNC 97, SFA 98
RPI: UNC 115, SFA 102
NET: UNC 97, SFA 82
Haslametrics: UNC 94, SFA 95

This will all be meaningless when Duke loses to UNC

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating UNC never sucks... Even when you’re supposed to! :)

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating UNC never sucks... Even when you’re supposed to! :)

I agree but the problem is we can't beat them even when we were favored by 5.5 points to do just that at home recently. Ole Roy and those blue bellies own us!

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech went from being in the NCAAT discussion to dogshit pretty quickly

down to #93 on kenpom and that probably doesn't reflect today's result against BC