• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers vs. LA Angels 8/5-8/7

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How have those fuckers played a full 2 games less? Could their schedule be any more easy to this point in the season...

In their defense, our schedule second half schedule looks a lot like their first half schedule. The good news is we have most of our toughest games behind us, they still have most of theirs remaining.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight is very important. Our worst starter would be out of the way for 5 games plus we're playing houston coming up. We have a very good opportunity from now until Sunday.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanson (4-2, 5.29): Hanson, like Ogando, is trying to find his form in his fourth start since spending four weeks on the disabled list with a strained forearm. ... In his last two starts, he has allowed nine earned runs and 11 hits in 10 innings. ... He has allowed 10 home runs in 63 innings and opponents are batting .297 against him. ... Hanson gave up three runs in six innings in an 8-4 win over the Rangers on April 6, his only start against Texas.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hanson (4-2, 5.29): Hanson, like Ogando, is trying to find his form in his fourth start since spending four weeks on the disabled list with a strained forearm. ... In his last two starts, he has allowed nine earned runs and 11 hits in 10 innings. ... He has allowed 10 home runs in 63 innings and opponents are batting .297 against him. ... Hanson gave up three runs in six innings in an 8-4 win over the Rangers on April 6, his only start against Texas.

Bunch of those guys who scored runs back in April aren't around any more.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In their defense, our schedule second half schedule looks a lot like their first half schedule. The good news is we have most of our toughest games behind us, they still have most of theirs remaining.

We do have to be careful. This month we play the Mariners, Twins and Chisox. All three teams play us tough especially the Chisox. Things get pretty interesting in September by playing the A's for two series, the Rays for a 4 game series and the Royals. I will also throw in there that even though they are in last place, the Astros have had games where they score a lot of runs against us. Some of those games were nail biters.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have to be careful. This month we play the Mariners, Twins and Chisox. All three teams play us tough especially the Chisox. Things get pretty interesting in September by playing the A's for two series, the Rays for a 4 game series and the Royals. I will also throw in there that even though they are in last place, the Astros have had games where they score a lot of runs against us. Some of those games were nail biters.

For sure, its no gimme. I was mainly saying, now the A's have to beat better teams than they did in the first half. That's not saying they didn't beat some good teams though just that they are going to have to do it more consistently because there is more on their upcoming schedule.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, its no gimme. I was mainly saying, now the A's have to beat better teams than they did in the first half. That's not saying they didn't beat some good teams though just that they are going to have to do it more consistently because there is more on their upcoming schedule.

Well we are under .500 against non AL West teams. Oakland is above .500 against non al west teams. But I'm not worried about the Rangers against other teams

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we are under .500 against non AL West teams. Oakland is above .500 against non al west teams. But I'm not worried about the Rangers against other teams

actually they are 10-12 against the East but anyway I was more or less referring the number of teams either the Rangers or A's play over that are .500, regardless of league. The first half the Rangers played a much higher percentage of .500+ teams while in the 2nd half, the A's do. I'm really not that huge of a person on strength of schedule and in fact both the A's and the Rangers have fairly soft schedules given how bad everyone else in the west has been but we really do have an easily schedule down the stretch. Still have to win the games though.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
actually they are 10-12 against the East but anyway I was more or less referring the number of teams either the Rangers or A's play over that are .500, regardless of league. The first half the Rangers played a much higher percentage of .500+ teams while in the 2nd half, the A's do. I'm really not that huge of a person on strength of schedule and in fact both the A's and the Rangers have fairly soft schedules given how bad everyone else in the west has been but we really do have an easily schedule down the stretch. Still have to win the games though.

Well there is that.

Another thought ... strength of schedule between first half and second half doesn't take into account that during the first half lots more teams look stronger than they turn out to be in the second half.

If I get some time I'll build an Excel product that projects season final standings based on each contenders schedule and win expectations with weighting based on preceding 20 game results. Should be fun.

If I start on it tonight I ought to have it done about the middle of October.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is that.

Another thought ... strength of schedule between first half and second half doesn't take into account that during the first half lots more teams look stronger than they turn out to be in the second half.

If I get some time I'll build an Excel product that projects season final standings based on each contenders schedule and win expectations with weighting based on preceding 20 game results. Should be fun.

If I start on it tonight I ought to have it done about the middle of October.

lets hope most on or upcoming schedule play to their record

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers have fairly soft schedules given how bad everyone else in the west has been but we really do have an easily schedule down the stretch. Still have to win the games though.

I posted the below on the season thread:

"Who has the more difficult schedule for the remainder of the season...A's or Rangers?" This discussion came up on the MLB board between a Rangers fan and an A's fan. The breakdown and comments are below:

Texas Rangers:

Games remaining: 48
Games against below .500 teams=32
Games against above .500 teams=16

Oakland A's:
Games remaining: 49
Games against below .500 teams=30
Games against above .500 teams=19

I know huge factors here but this is how I responded:

Adding to the previous conversation about who has the harder schedule Texas or OAK for the remainder of the season...It is a wash. Meaning the schedules are about even between above/below .500 teams. The A's have just 3 more games with teams above .500 than we do for the remainder of the season. Other than one game with the Rays and 6 against us in September the A's have the easiest schedule of a contender in the AL. So if the Rangers are going to keep this from being a cliff hanger, they need to gain a bunch this month.
We have 32 with teams below .500, the A's have 30.
There are other very important factors to consider. Head to head pitching matches, especially against AL West rivals below .500. Both teams will still see Weaver, CJ, Iwakuma and King Felix a few more times. Plus for some reason the Twins and Chisox play the AL West tough. So do the Royals.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little primer for our pregame entertainment:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-FW4NWiRmY]Rangers walk off on homers in three straight games - YouTube[/ame]

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And not to leave AJ out here is his game tying HR in the first game:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oaukh3BdMY]Pierzynski ties the game with homer in ninth - YouTube[/ame]

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let me please note, not one of the game tying or walk off HRs came from the suspended Cruz. So these guys still have pop in the line up.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers lineup: RF Martin, SS Andrus, 2B Kinsler, 3B Beltre, 1B Moreland, C Soto, LF Murphy, CF Gentry, DH Profar and RHP Ogando
(From Evan Grant twitter)

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah not opinionated at all. Calling Yu over hyped:) LOL, but he is competent.
Over-hyped-but-competent? You know he's good when he gives up 3ER in 7IP, allows the team to stay close, and picks up the win on a bad night where he had poor command and wasn't able to dominate like he usually does.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers lineup: RF Martin, SS Andrus, 2B Kinsler, 3B Beltre, 1B Moreland, C Soto, LF Murphy, CF Gentry, DH Profar and RHP Ogando
(From Evan Grant twitter)

BBBBOOMMMMMMMMM ... (my head exploding)

And here I thought that Tommy Hanson was a RHP.

Tommy Hanson vs. Batters - Baseball-Reference.com

Soto starting ... when AJ is 4 for 5 against Hanson? Gentry starting against a RHP ... less than 24 hours after Wash said he would only play CF against LHP?

I okay with both moves ... but why should we believe anything that anyone says ever again?

Maybe someone who tweets can ask EG ... WTF?