• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers vs. LA Angels 8/5-8/7

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche... I guess my eyes failed me yet again. Good research, I was just eye balling it. Still, I bet if you looked at the combined record each teams opponents.. the A's opponents would have a higher win percentage by a fairly significant amount. But given what you have done here I wouldn't be shocked if I was wrong about that either.

On another point, there are some permutations to consider with the WC slots. IF we do well against the below .500 teams in August AND the A's do well against CLE, TB and BALT, we gain huge in the WC standings. So who knows? Last 48 games are going to be a wild ride.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything head to head I don't count, if we can't win those games against the A's then we don't deserve to win the division

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw....when in doubt, you always wanna play Gentry in CF. He's the best OF we have. Martin has more versatility and of course has the better bat. But I swear, Gentry seems to make some things "happen" when he's in the game. His speed is a real factor.

You may have something there with regards to recent "history." Last game Ogando had a lot of hard hit balls to the OF. If that was a factor in RW's thinking, not bad.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over-hyped-but-competent? You know he's good when he gives up 3ER in 7IP, allows the team to stay close, and picks up the win on a bad night where he had poor command and wasn't able to dominate like he usually does.

Lol even Yu said that was his worst outing on 7 inn 3 Er!!!

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol even Yu said that was his worst outing on 7 inn 3 Er!!!
Did he? I haven't found his post-game interview notes and comments, can someone link me?

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe AJP is getting a day off and Soto a day on

Maybe Wash determined that Gentry deserved a start against a hittable RHP after jump starting the offense last night

But you're right, Wash just makes it up as he goes, he should stop justifying why he does or doesn't do things, and admits he plays favorites and goes with his gut

Soto had a good series in Arlington against the Angels so that may have something to do with him playing tonight.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, despite all the "lack of activity" from JD, we're still in position to make a run. I would wager, if any of us had a crystal ball and saw what we saw happen this season, we'd bet the Rangers would be 7 games back and chatting up the future. Yet, here we are in the thick of it! I'm beyond pleased, and more than surprised. Damn ain't it great?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, despite all the "lack of activity" from JD, we're still in position to make a run. I would wager, if any of us had a crystal ball and saw what we saw happen this season, we'd bet the Rangers would be 7 games back and chatting up the future. Yet, here we are in the thick of it! I'm beyond pleased, and more than surprised. Damn ain't it great?

This about what I expected all along, injuries are always something you have to take into consideration

I knew it would be a hard fought playoff appearance if we made it, due to the fact that we lost quite a bit of offense in the offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really kind of thought he's never not admitted this. It's pretty obvious he "does-what-he-does" and none of us can detect a pattern, due primarily because there isn't one. But it's REALLY hard to deny the results, and the players love him!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I'm surprised. And I think you're understating when you say "we lost a lot of offense in the off season." Hamilton was 2nd in the majors, plus Nap and Young. Now with Cruz gone, I bet we're down over 50% of last years offense (RBIs) with no true replacements in numbers only! But again, regardless, I'm so delighted we're in the fight and have a legitimate chance to make post season, it's truly wonderful to me! GO RANGERS!

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have created a winning culture and our pitching overall has been very good. Also they have removed some distractions that occurred with Hamilton and let CJ walk. They have good chemistry in the clubhouse. AJ has held his own overall and as much as we want to get upset with Berkman he was one of our best hitters with RISP. But I agree with you it is amazing what they are doing.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I'm surprised. And I think you're understating when you say "we lost a lot of offense in the off season." Hamilton was 2nd in the majors, plus Nap and Young. Now with Cruz gone, I bet we're down over 50% of last years offense (RBIs) with no true replacements in numbers only! But again, regardless, I'm so delighted we're in the fight and have a legitimate chance to make post season, it's truly wonderful to me! GO RANGERS!

I'm not understating anything, perhaps I had more confidence in our returning (and incoming) players than other people did

I knew there would be struggles, but I didn't think the drop off would be as severe as other people thought

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another point, there are some permutations to consider with the WC slots. IF we do well against the below .500 teams in August AND the A's do well against CLE, TB and BALT, we gain huge in the WC standings. So who knows? Last 48 games are going to be a wild ride.

Thats for sure... should be a fun ride too.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes indeed we are in the thick of it. I had low expectations for this team in March. I thought JD was sending us a signal loud and clear this was a "place holder" season (not rebuilding) by going after Berk and AJ and all the retread pitchers invited to spring training. When Harry went down, I figured it was a matter of time. But then they were hot the first two months, the pitching held and the offense made it happen. So thought, hey they are hanging. Then the two summer slumps, brought me back to reality. But then surprise! They came back from the pit twice!

So don't know what to think now. Heck they have a shot!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes indeed we are in the thick of it. I had low expectations for this team in March. I thought JD was sending us a signal loud and clear this was a "place holder" season (not rebuilding) by going after Berk and AJ and all the retread pitchers invited to spring training. When Harry went down, I figured it was a matter of time. But then they were hot the first two months, the pitching held and the offense made it happen. So thought, hey they are hanging. Then the two summer slumps, brought me back to reality. But then surprise! They came back from the pit twice!

So don't know what to think now. Heck they have a shot!

I thought it would be a placeholder season (still could be viewed that way), as I didn't think we had the great talent to put us over the top of some other teams when it came to winning the World Series (which is all that matters going forward), but I thought we would be in the thick of the divisional and wild card races til the end

But in the end I didn't and still don't think this is a WS caliber team, but anything is possible if you make the playoffs

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya.....In JD we trust! haha But he said from day one, "it's a season of transition" and perhaps I didn't know - truly know - what he meant. If we don't make the PS, so be it! But I'm proud as punch we're able to have this discussion today!

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it would be a placeholder season (still could be viewed that way), as I didn't think we had the great talent to put us over the top of some other teams when it came to winning the World Series (which is all that matters going forward), but I thought we would be in the thick of the divisional and wild card races til the end

But in the end I didn't and still don't think this is a WS caliber team, but anything is possible if you make the playoffs

We all do quote a lot of numbers and stats on this site often. But as we learned with LAA, on paper is not what matters. Teams win games and series.

Come the last two weeks of the season the MLB will have 10-12 teams vying for a playoff spot with 5 each slots available in each league (10 total). By that time a few teams will have locked it up, a few will be hanging on for dear life on the down swing, and a few will be on the upswing. I guess it has to do with where you are THEN, and in what state you are. We all know the teams that usually make the playoffs holding on for dear life perform not so well in the playoffs. It is always the team that makes the playoffs and is hot at the time. Back in 2011 everyone was touting the TB Rays for their amazing finish but ignored the Rangers had a dominate finish in Sept.

So as it has been said here before. The very good teams make the playoffs...The very good hot teams win the series.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On paper this team is better than the 2 giants teams that went to the World Series and won. It's not all about talent. Once you get to the playoffs it's a crap shoot anyway no matter how much talent you have out there. I also don't agree with you on that this is not a World Series team. This teams pitching is dangerous

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all do quote a lot of numbers and stats on this site often. But as we learned with LAA, on paper is not what matters. Teams win games and series.

Agree completely thats why I didn't necessarily freak out when we lost the "numbers" of Napoli, Hamilton & Young

Playing better all around baseball could negate some of that and I thought we had players who played a good all around game to fill their shoes, better defense and baserunning (and aggressive) will win you games as well as HRs

Berkman fell short, but certainly didn't necessarily cost us any of Young's production