• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers vs. LA Angels 8/5-8/7

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, our schedule "down the stretch" which includes Sept, isn't easy at all! It's easy for Aug! then in Sept it sucks! How you figure the A's twice, the Royals, and the Rays are easy? The Rangers don't play an above .500 team until Labor Day. Then the A's get the reverse schedule for Sept as us. If Harrison comes back strong, we're in great shape. Other wise, not so much!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBBBOOMMMMMMMMM ... (my head exploding)

And here I thought that Tommy Hanson was a RHP.

Tommy Hanson vs. Batters - Baseball-Reference.com

Soto starting ... when AJ is 4 for 5 against Hanson? Gentry starting against a RHP ... less than 24 hours after Wash said he would only play CF against LHP?

I okay with both moves ... but why should we believe anything that anyone says ever again?

Maybe someone who tweets can ask EG ... WTF?

Maybe AJP is getting a day off and Soto a day on

Maybe Wash determined that Gentry deserved a start against a hittable RHP after jump starting the offense last night

But you're right, Wash just makes it up as he goes, he should stop justifying why he does or doesn't do things, and admits he plays favorites and goes with his gut

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your points for sure. But we don't know if AJ or Martin have shown dead legs, fatigue, etc over the last few days and need a little rest. And do keep in mind, it's only the starting line-up and this is "never" itched in stone! Relax. But Wash is always gonna say stuff which makes no sense when comparing it to what he said previously. He's kind of a modern day Yogi, without the cleverness! hahha

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your points for sure. But we don't know if AJ or Martin have shown dead legs, fatigue, etc over the last few days and need a little rest. And do keep in mind, it's only the starting line-up and this is "never" itched in stone! Relax. But Wash is always gonna say stuff which makes no sense when comparing it to what he said previously. He's kind of a modern day Yogi, without the cleverness! hahha

Martin is in the lineup in RF, its Beltre I'm guessing he expected to get the nod against a RHP in CF

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted the below on the season thread:

"Who has the more difficult schedule for the remainder of the season...A's or Rangers?" This discussion came up on the MLB board between a Rangers fan and an A's fan. The breakdown and comments are below:

Texas Rangers:

Games remaining: 48
Games against below .500 teams=32
Games against above .500 teams=16

Oakland A's:
Games remaining: 49
Games against below .500 teams=30
Games against above .500 teams=19

I know huge factors here but this is how I responded:

Adding to the previous conversation about who has the harder schedule Texas or OAK for the remainder of the season...It is a wash. Meaning the schedules are about even between above/below .500 teams. The A's have just 3 more games with teams above .500 than we do for the remainder of the season. Other than one game with the Rays and 6 against us in September the A's have the easiest schedule of a contender in the AL. So if the Rangers are going to keep this from being a cliff hanger, they need to gain a bunch this month.
We have 32 with teams below .500, the A's have 30.
There are other very important factors to consider. Head to head pitching matches, especially against AL West rivals below .500. Both teams will still see Weaver, CJ, Iwakuma and King Felix a few more times. Plus for some reason the Twins and Chisox play the AL West tough. So do the Royals.

Touche... I guess my eyes failed me yet again. Good research, I was just eye balling it. Still, I bet if you looked at the combined record each teams opponents.. the A's opponents would have a higher win percentage by a fairly significant amount. But given what you have done here I wouldn't be shocked if I was wrong about that either.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe AJP is getting a day off and Soto a day on

Maybe Wash determined that Gentry deserved a start against a hittable RHP after jump starting the offense last night

But you're right, Wash just makes it up as he goes, he should stop justifying why he does or doesn't do things, and admits he plays favorites and goes with his gut

Dunno. It's getaway day ... so legitimately its Soto's game ... its just AJ's 4/5 thing. Maybe Wash figures that nobody stays 4/5 for long and AJ's bound to struggle against Hanson tonight. Dunno.

Maybe Wash wants to reward Gentry for last night. Maybe he figures E.Beltre needs a day off. Who knows.

I'm really okay with Wash using whatever logic he wants to set his lineups. But then the media needs to stop putting out junk that doesn't live 24 hours.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw....when in doubt, you always wanna play Gentry in CF. He's the best OF we have. Martin has more versatility and of course has the better bat. But I swear, Gentry seems to make some things "happen" when he's in the game. His speed is a real factor.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops sorry.....and your point on Wash and "the quotes" needs to take a back seat. But good Lord, in today's world of every word is the last word, until of course, the next word, it's tougher than we think perhaps.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw....when in doubt, you always wanna play Gentry in CF. He's the best OF we have. Martin has more versatility and of course has the better bat. But I swear, Gentry seems to make some things "happen" when he's in the game. His speed is a real factor.

Martin is our best OFer overall, Gentry is the better defender, but thats about it

And don't get me wrong I love Gentry's game, but Martin is definitely the better player, lack of polish or not

Gentry probably "makes things happen" b/c he knows if he doesn't then who knows when Wash will let him off the bench again

Last edited by a moderator:

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's have 7 left against Houston, who they've owned. And all 7 are in Oakland. How does that happen?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Points taken.....glad you know your game. But I swear, when Gentry gets on base (some hits, walks, FC) he does, score a lot. Let me ask, if the Rangers make the playoffs, you think they'll bring Cruz back?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Points taken.....glad you know your game. But I swear, when Gentry gets on base (some hits, walks, FC) he does, score a lot. Let me ask, if the Rangers make the playoffs, you think they'll bring Cruz back?

For me ... yep.

Any team that gives Manny a minor league deal on the off chance he lights it up isn't worry about no stinking suspension thing tainting stuff. ''

Scientific stuff tells you that having Cruz on the roster is better than not having Cruz on the roster.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree about Gentry making things happen
&
Probably, especially if they feel he can hit right off the bat

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely they do.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Martin is our best OFer overall, Gentry is the better defender, but thats about it

And don't get me wrong I love Gentry's game, but Martin is definitely the better player, lack of polish or not

Gentry probably "makes things happen" b/c he knows if he doesn't then who knows when Wash will let him off the bench again

Wonder how glazed over Butler's eyes are yet.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes based on the positive feedback from the players and JD after Cruz spoke to the team.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche... I guess my eyes failed me yet again. Good research, I was just eye balling it. Still, I bet if you looked at the combined record each teams opponents.. the A's opponents would have a higher win percentage by a fairly significant amount. But given what you have done here I wouldn't be shocked if I was wrong about that either.

You do have something there I think. The A's play the O's and Tigers back to back. That will be tough. But so are our consecutive series in Sept against contending teams like TB and Oak.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win as many series as possible the rest of the way and let things happen the way they will.