• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers vs. LA Angels 8/5-8/7

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know that as a Detroit fan you have my full redpect-- just as you better respect Detroit.

In this ballgame, the Rangers are the better team, so let's see em prove it!!

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentry last 28 days principally against LHP ... .381 .462 .571 1.033. Only 21ABs.

Seriously ... how do you let a guy who has that line only get 21ABs?

1,000 OPS??? What in the fuck wash. He should honestly play gentry a lot more!

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason Gentry shouldn't be in the lineup more often with Cruz gone. And he should NEVER sit against LHP. Always liked Craig's game. 150 games a year? Probably not. But certainly more than he currently gets.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason Gentry shouldn't be in the lineup more often with Cruz gone. And he should NEVER sit against LHP. Always liked Craig's game. 150 games a year? Probably not. But certainly more than he currently gets.

Gentry brings you tons of value with the wheels and defense he has some nice streaks hitting also. He's just as valuable as Michael bourn

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Murphy/Butler (LF/RF)
Beltre/Gentry (both in CF)
Martin (RF/LF)

That should be your OF going forward

Profar should get 1 day a week at each 3B, 2B, and SS, with the other guy getting a "day off" at DH, that gives Profar at least 4 days a week in the lineup if he plays DH at least once during the other days

Moreland at 1B against RHPs, and Baker vs LHPs, at the very least tough LHPs

You also need to work Soto in at catcher at least a couple times a week (Yu/Garza), with AJ either getting a day or DHing, as soon as we have a 3rd catcher

Last edited by a moderator:

Jbear

Ranger Days Ranger Nights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy/Butler (LF/RF)
Martin (RF/LF)

Profar should get 1 day a week at each 3B, 2B, and SS, with the other guy getting a "day off" at DH, that gives Profar at least 4 days a week in the lineup if he plays DH at least once during the other days

Looks like a plan to me. We still have the Wash twilight zone decision making process though.:whistle:

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy/Butler (LF/RF)
Martin (RF/LF)

You also need to work Soto in at catcher at least a couple times a week, with AJ either getting a day or DHing, as soon as we have a 3rd catcher

Sounds good to me. As long as Murphy sits against LHP.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

In a piece last night EG wrote:

Rangers? FAQ: Who?s playing where in the outfield tonight? | Texas Rangers Blog

With that in mind, Washington announce these tentative plans for the outfield:

* Murphy will play left field vs. right-handed pitchers and some lefties.

* Martin will play center field against right-handed pitchers and right against some left-handers. He will not be asked to play left any longer after taking a rather circuitous route on a fly ball in Oakland on Sunday.

“He sees the ball better coming off the bat from center around to right,” Washington said. “I don’t want him out there scared of the ball. I want him to play with confidence.”

* Craig Gentry will play center against lefties.

* Engel Beltre will play right against right-handers.

* Joey Butler will play left against left-handed pitchers, but may need a tutorial from outfield instructor Gary Pettis.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a piece last night EG wrote:

Rangers? FAQ: Who?s playing where in the outfield tonight? | Texas Rangers Blog

With that in mind, Washington announce these tentative plans for the outfield:

* Murphy will play left field vs. right-handed pitchers and some lefties.

* Martin will play center field against right-handed pitchers and right against some left-handers. He will not be asked to play left any longer after taking a rather circuitous route on a fly ball in Oakland on Sunday.

“He sees the ball better coming off the bat from center around to right,” Washington said. “I don’t want him out there scared of the ball. I want him to play with confidence.”

* Craig Gentry will play center against lefties.

* Engel Beltre will play right against right-handers.

* Joey Butler will play left against left-handed pitchers, but may need a tutorial from outfield instructor Gary Pettis.

Ok yeah basically what I thought except playing Butler in LF, but that works too

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy/Butler (LF/RF)
Martin (RF/LF)

You also need to work Soto in at catcher at least a couple times a week, with AJ either getting a day or DHing, as soon as we have a 3rd catcher
Well outlined and if managed properly should get us where we want to go.

Jbear

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, that dingleberry Donaldson is a pesky hitter

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok yeah basically what I thought except playing Butler in LF, but that works too

The thing is ... there are so few LH SPs that you can't keep your RH platoon bats tuned to be effective when they are called on to play. It has affected Gentry ... and is going to affect Butler too.

I am beginning to believe that platoons work against you in the long run. I understand the troubles that LH bats have with LHP. Growing up how many LHP are there in Little League, etc? LH batters may go a whole month without seeing an effective LHP growing up. When they get to professional baseball though they see a whole lot more and they are all lots better than they ever saw before. And they then really really struggle. That's where the LOOGY comes from. How many ROOGYs have you seen?

Found this ... Lefthanders = 1/10 of U.S. population, 1/6 position players, 1/3 pitchers
.33 - percentage of left-handed pitchers
.16 - percentage of left-handed position players
.10 - percentage of left-handers in US population
Pete's Baseball Number Reference Page

Conversely ... RH hitters grew up batting against RH pitchers and as they progress they see more and more good RHP.

What if A. Beltre, Kinsler and Andrus were platooned just because they were RH batters? Reason they are successful against even the best RH pitchers is because they are playing them every day.

Am I saying that Gentry would be as successful BA/OBP against RH pitchers as are Beltre, Kinsler and Elvis? Just don't know because Gentry simply doesn't get the exposure. At Frisco in 2009 he hit .303 .378 .418 .796 every day and at OKC in 2010 he hit .309 .393 .413 .806. So he had to be hitting RHP then!

Sure ... ML pitchers are better than those at AA or AAA ... but if a guy is hitting .300 every day above AA ... then he ought to not be pigeonholed into a platoon at the ML-level just because he is a RH OBP bat.

If Gentry were a power bat ... he'd be facing RHP just because of the chance he connects and gets used to strong ML RHP. And since high OBP guys don't tend to go on long slumps or try to be something they aren't ... I imagine a high OBP RH bat would be more successful as an every day player than a power RH bat.

Are we all over justifying Gentry PT over Murphy on a night where Murphy went 0-5 and Gentry came in late and did what he does best to create a cushion run? I don't think so. I think Wash has fallen in love with being able to start an all LH batting OF. Were E.Beltre a RHbat ... Gentry would be starting every game.

And ... Joey Butler gets a shot at the biggies because he's a RH hitter when the best all around OF at AAA is probably Jim Adduci who can play all three positions plus 1b ... but is a LH bat. If Butler doesn't get to play then who cares if he is a RH bat. Better might have been to acquire Adduci's contract if you weren't going to go out and get a RH bat and Butler was all you had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jbear

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Hoover you rat bastard. Don't spit the bit here

Jbear

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job Hoover. You throw like Nathan and scared the crap out of me but good job. I hope Cincy has a a top shelf closer for the 9th.