• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows? Ideally I want a great hitting catcher with an elite defensive catcher

Even Trevino with his framing that appears to be Bobby Wilson driven did not have a great arm.

But yes you need to call a great game conducive to pitcher’s strength and abilities. A lot of factors. Alfaros arm still interests me
We may need to spend a high draft pick on a catcher soon. Or, maybe we could find one on the international market.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all I could get from Baseball America.

2022 Major League Baseball Rule 5 Draft Preview Version 1.0

Ronny Simon, SS/2B, Rays.
Malcom Nunez, 1B, Pirates.
Matt Gorski, OF, Pirates.
Antoine Kelly, LHP, Rangers.
Austin Shenton, 3B/1B, Rays.
Andrew Schultz, RHP, Phillies.
Ryan Fernandez, RHP, Red Sox.
Erik Miller. LHP, Phillies.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all I could get from Baseball America.

2022 Major League Baseball Rule 5 Draft Preview Version 1.0

Ronny Simon, SS/2B, Rays.
Malcom Nunez, 1B, Pirates.
Matt Gorski, OF, Pirates.
Antoine Kelly, LHP, Rangers.
Austin Shenton, 3B/1B, Rays.
Andrew Schultz, RHP, Phillies.
Ryan Fernandez, RHP, Red Sox.
Erik Miller. LHP, Phillies.
I think I am most intrigued by Gorski and Miller.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may need to spend a high draft pick on a catcher soon. Or, maybe we could find one on the international market.
Those guys take long to develop. We are already late to the party unless Huff is our guy

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys take long to develop. We are already late to the party unless Huff is our guy
I like Huff, but I don't know that the front office feels the same way.

Maybe a college catcher won't take as long. Henry Davis was drafted last year and made it to AA this year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thos note from Evan Grant when discussing the OF:

And then there is the always tempting reunion with Joey Gallo, who should benefit some from the elimination of shifts. But it also can’t be overlooked that he swung and missed at 117 fastballs in the strike zone last year, which ranked 15th highest in baseball. The Rangers had two guys higher on that list (García at 127 and Nathaniel Lowe at 126). That would create a lot of potential for swing and miss in the middle of the lineup.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thos note from Evan Grant when discussing the OF:

And then there is the always tempting reunion with Joey Gallo, who should benefit some from the elimination of shifts. But it also can’t be overlooked that he swung and missed at 117 fastballs in the strike zone last year, which ranked 15th highest in baseball. The Rangers had two guys higher on that list (García at 127 and Nathaniel Lowe at 126). That would create a lot of potential for swing and miss in the middle of the lineup.
Forget Gallo. He has failed with three clubs. He had good people to protect him in the line up when with NY and LA and it made little difference. EG has a thing for Gallo.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jamey must have completely misunderstood my question.

When the offseason started, it was widely speculated that the Rangers would acquire three starting pitchers, including Pérez. They have acquired both Odorizzi and Pérez and lots of folks still think they are going to acquire two more. Why has that changed? Is it a complete disrespect for Odorizzi? — Bennie B.

The Braves agreed to pay Odorizzi $10 million to pitch in 2023 for the Rangers, who will be responsible for only the remaining $2.5 million of his salary. It’s not disrespect; it’s just a recognition by both teams as to what the 32-year-old is at this stage of his career.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(if this got posted before, sorry)

Predicting landing spots for MLB's biggest free agents

Jacob deGrom​

McDaniel: Texas Rangers, four years, $155 million. I was leaning toward him returning to the Mets and getting the Scherzer deal (3 years/$130M) with a vesting option based on innings pitched in the third year, but I'm now more convinced that Texas makes a bold move for a pitcher with a maxed-out guarantee and I think it'll be deGrom. Carlos Rodon would also make sense, but he probably signs later in the winter to ensure he gets a precedent-setting number or two in his deal

Schoenfield: Rangers, four years, $160 million. The Rangers have already burned one year of the Corey Seager-Marcus Semien era. They brought in a win-now manager in Bruce Bochy and they need starting pitching help. It's a big roll of the dice given deGrom's health history, but this is the position the Rangers have put themselves in.

Lee: Rangers, four years, $160 million. The Rangers will need to make another big splash to justify the money they spent on Seager and Semien last year and this is one of the obvious spots they can upgrade. Texas needs deGrom more than the Mets need him, and I think that's where he eventually lands.

Olney: Rangers, four years, $150 million. There's just too much risk for the Mets to carry deGrom and Scherzer at $80 million annually. The Rangers are the team most motivated to buy pitching this winter.

Justin Verlander​

Olney: Rangers, three years, $130 million.

Gonzalez: Rangers, three years, $120 million. The Rangers have money to spend and holes to fill in their rotation. Verlander is the perfect guy for this moment in time. But he'll have to be enticed to join a division rival that is not certain to compete, so I envision a three-year deal made up of player options. The Astros have too much internal pitching to want to match something like that.

Carlos Rodon​

Rogers: Rangers, five years, $132 million. Texas will spend on pitching. That much we know. It wouldn't shock me if they signed more than one high-end arm, but after retaining Martin Perez and trading for Jake Odorizzi, Rodon is the least they'll add to that mix.

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(if this got posted before, sorry)

Predicting landing spots for MLB's biggest free agents

Jacob deGrom​

McDaniel: Texas Rangers, four years, $155 million. I was leaning toward him returning to the Mets and getting the Scherzer deal (3 years/$130M) with a vesting option based on innings pitched in the third year, but I'm now more convinced that Texas makes a bold move for a pitcher with a maxed-out guarantee and I think it'll be deGrom. Carlos Rodon would also make sense, but he probably signs later in the winter to ensure he gets a precedent-setting number or two in his deal

Schoenfield: Rangers, four years, $160 million. The Rangers have already burned one year of the Corey Seager-Marcus Semien era. They brought in a win-now manager in Bruce Bochy and they need starting pitching help. It's a big roll of the dice given deGrom's health history, but this is the position the Rangers have put themselves in.

Lee: Rangers, four years, $160 million. The Rangers will need to make another big splash to justify the money they spent on Seager and Semien last year and this is one of the obvious spots they can upgrade. Texas needs deGrom more than the Mets need him, and I think that's where he eventually lands.

Olney: Rangers, four years, $150 million. There's just too much risk for the Mets to carry deGrom and Scherzer at $80 million annually. The Rangers are the team most motivated to buy pitching this winter.

Justin Verlander​

Olney: Rangers, three years, $130 million.

Gonzalez: Rangers, three years, $120 million. The Rangers have money to spend and holes to fill in their rotation. Verlander is the perfect guy for this moment in time. But he'll have to be enticed to join a division rival that is not certain to compete, so I envision a three-year deal made up of player options. The Astros have too much internal pitching to want to match something like that.

Carlos Rodon​

Rogers: Rangers, five years, $132 million. Texas will spend on pitching. That much we know. It wouldn't shock me if they signed more than one high-end arm, but after retaining Martin Perez and trading for Jake Odorizzi, Rodon is the least they'll add to that mix.
Looks like we have some pitching heading our way lol

I’m ready for us to acquire at least one

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget Gallo. He has failed with three clubs. He had good people to protect him in the line up when with NY and LA and it made little difference. EG has a thing for Gallo.
Some of these writers think Gallo going to be Trout when they ban the shift. The shift isn’t going to fix the strikeouts.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Angels under the gun to do things that keep Shotime in town.

I just would not break the bank to get DeGrom.
Got to keep that powder dry for next winter

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Moore,who is Jeff Wilson's podcast mate, predicts this for the Rangers offensive acquisitions;

"Rangers sign Joey Gallo to one-year deal for $12 million.

Rangers sign Masataka Yoshida to three-year, $36 million deal.

Evan Carter takes over center field by midseason."

I really like the second one. The third one is much too optimistic. Now, substitute Duran instead of Carter and that might very well happen.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what does the Narron hire have to do with Shohei?
I think indirectly —they are trying to make changes to impress him. They have been active so far

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think indirectly —they are trying to make changes to impress him. They have been active so far
Senga this year for the Rangers and then Ohtani and Darvish next year.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Moore,who is Jeff Wilson's podcast mate, predicts this for the Rangers offensive acquisitions;

"Rangers sign Joey Gallo to one-year deal for $12 million.

Rangers sign Masataka Yoshida to three-year, $36 million deal.

Evan Carter takes over center field by midseason."

I really like the second one. The third one is much too optimistic. Now, substitute Duran instead of Carter and that might very well happen.
Why would the Rangers want a guy that hasn’t hit over 200 since 2019