• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team seems to have 4 guys that went multi innings right now (all converted starters) and they're all LHers, we could stand to have at least 1 RHer I suppose...

If they sign a couple of big name FA pitchers I wonder who of in the ranks of current starters do they transition to the pen? Otto was a reliever when he was drafted and converted to a SP, I would hate to put him back in the pen considering his performance from August on...
I am counting Otto as a starter but he does not seem to go deep. Moore is not on roster so we have Hearn and Burke unless I am missing someone. Usually a mop up guy is included worse case scenario

Maybe the wait for Perez is pending a high profile signing. if we sign 2 more then a guy like Dunning may be the odd man out

Maybe the Odorizzi signing is a pure value signing and his role is not 100% certain or maybe he is flipped

A lot of off-season left

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson thinks the Rangers will sign Rodon, Eovaldi, Gallo and a closer.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we had a few multi inning effective relievers. The tax on relievers were these bullpen games every 5th game in addition to other regular appearances

Of course having 5 guys who can regularly pitch 6 - 8 innings is ideal but now rare
Most relievers used to pitch multiple innings when needed. That is the way it could be now. Just about everyone in the pen can go more than one inning if the manager simply let's it happen.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson thinks the Rangers will sign Rodon, Eovaldi, Gallo and a closer.
I sure hope he’s wrong on Gallo. They don’t need a 180 hitter with 200 strikeouts. And the attitude what I’m doing is fine.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather have Perez than Evoldi
I think most would. He wasn't saying that is what they should do though. He just thinks Perez will choose to go elsewhere for a longer contract.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team seems to have 4 guys that went multi innings right now (all converted starters) and they're all LHers, we could stand to have at least 1 RHer I suppose...

If they sign a couple of big name FA pitchers I wonder who of in the ranks of current starters do they transition to the pen? Otto was a reliever when he was drafted and converted to a SP, I would hate to put him back in the pen considering his performance from August on...
I think they should keep the starters doing just that, for now. In fact, I think Burke should return to being a starter.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most would. He wasn't saying that is what they should do though. He just thinks Perez will choose to go elsewhere for a longer contract.
Well both contracts could easily be comparable with Eovaldi maybe being more and both got the QO. But who knows

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should keep the starters doing just that, for now. In fact, I think Burke should return to being a starter.
If they resign MP and at least one more pitcher as some are speculating I'm guessing he won't get the chance...

You'd probably have to send him to the minors to try to stretch him out but I don't think the team would go for that considering past history with other pitchers and how well he did in the relief role. But they could give him a spot start periodically to see what he can do...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am counting Otto as a starter but he does not seem to go deep. Moore is not on roster so we have Hearn and Burke unless I am missing someone. Usually a mop up guy is included worse case scenario

Maybe the wait for Perez is pending a high profile signing. if we sign 2 more then a guy like Dunning may be the odd man out

Maybe the Odorizzi signing is a pure value signing and his role is not 100% certain or maybe he is flipped

Since Otto he was a reliever they are slowly building his innings, he did 40 more in 22 than he did in 21...

I think they'll resign Moore if at all possible and King was going multiple innings later on in the season vs earlier...

You wonder if they might use a starter with Odorizzi or make him long relief like they tried with Richards...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they resign MP and at least one more pitcher as some are speculating I'm guessing he won't get the chance...

You'd probably have to send him to the minors to try to stretch him out but I don't think the team would go for that considering past history with other pitchers and how well he did in the relief role. But they could give him a spot start periodically to see what he can do...
Couldn't he get stretched out in zST along with the other starters. I think that is what happened with Ogando and CJ.

We do need starter depth at AAA so I wouldn't mind him beginning the year there.

All they have to do is sign relievers and his place in the pen could be taken.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I hear from a lot of different folks when I mention Burke going back to being a starter, is how well he did as a reliever. That is said as an argument to keep him in the pen. The thing about that is that most every good starter should be an even better reliever.

Logically, if just because a starter does well in a bull pen role you think he should stay a reliever then you are saying that starters who can pitch even better in relief should always do so. That just isn't the case. It isn't the case with Perez or Gray and it isn't the case with Burke.

Leiter, Rocker, Porter, and White should all make great relievers and probably closers, but it always makes sense to let a guy start if he can do so.

When a guy proves he cannot start like Luke Jackson, Alexy, Allard and some others, then you try them in the pen.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I hear from a lot of different folks when I mention Burke going back to being a starter, is how well he did as a reliever. That is said as an argument to keep him in the pen. The thing about that is that most every good starter should be an even better reliever.

Logically, if just because a starter does well in a bull pen role you think he should stay a reliever then you are saying that starters who can pitch even better in relief should always do so. That just isn't the case. It isn't the case with Perez or Gray and it isn't the case with Burke.

Leiter, Rocker, Porter, and White should all make great relievers and probably closers, but it always makes sense to let a guy start if he can do so.

When a guy proves he cannot start like Luke Jackson, Alexy, Allard and some others, then you try them in the pen.
I think Burke will always have a better reliever skill set than Perez. I like swinging strikes for relievers and weak contact and ground balls for starters.

So I don’t think the logic applies to me. Burke as mentioned came back from injury at a slow pace so relief appeared to be the best option which was clearly demonstrated

There is interest in seeing if he can start again which is great we shall see. I really don’t know

Moore was a really good starter but now is better as a relief guy. Statistics bear that our I believe

Relievers these days give a max effort for the short period but are not as successful in a paced starting role

This is my take

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't he get stretched out in zST along with the other starters. I think that is what happened with Ogando and CJ.

We do need starter depth at AAA so I wouldn't mind him beginning the year there.

All they have to do is sign relievers and his place in the pen could be taken.
In theory with a lot of pitchers that is fine but with Burke … if he is stretched out he is not fonf back to minors with his brilliant success last year. It would be an insult

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore was a really good starter but now is better as a relief guy. Statistics bear that our I believe
Moore was a decent starter and then he became an awful starter after 2016. He is a great example of the kind of starters who should go to the pen. In fact, he should have went much earlier.

He hasn't been a "really good starter" in a very long time. Not since 2014.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Burke will always have a better reliever skill set than Perez. I like swinging strikes for relievers and weak contact and ground balls for starters.
I think both starters and relievers have had success with both of those skill sets. Some starters have success with one and some starters have had success with the other. Same for different relief pitchers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers don't go out and sign at least two good bullpen pieces, they will pay a much higher price for them at the trade deadline should they find themselves in contention.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like swinging strikes for relievers
So, if guys like Rocker, Leiter, White and Porter get a lot of swinging strikes are you in favor of them becoming relievers?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if guys like Rocker, Leiter, White and Porter get a lot of swinging strikes are you in favor of them becoming relievers?
Lol baited question. You think they messed up on Burke. Ok.

Do you want a closer who can ground balls but never can strike anyone out?