• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Rocker rocks
Kumar Rocker appears to have found his groove in the Arizona Fall League.

The Rangers' first-round pick this year, selected third overall, allowed one hit in three scoreless innings Monday in what rates as his best start so far. He struck out five, didn't walk any batters and threw an efficient 45 pitches.

The Rangers are hoping for Rocker to log around 20 innings this fall. He's halfway there, and his ERA has dropped to 3.38.

He has yet to go past three innings, and the Rangers might let him go up to five innings in his final start.

If he continues to pitch well, it will be interesting to see where the Rangers start him next season.

Owen White had a strong fall last year after having limited regular-season innings and opened at High A Hickory.

Rocker and 2021 firstr-rounder Jack Leiter were college teammates at Vanderbilt and both came to the Rangers as advanced pitchers.

The Rangers started Leiter at Double A Frisco this year even though he didn't make his professional debut, and he struggled to a 5.54 ERA.

Might that make the Rangers take a more conservative approach with Rocker?

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also from Jeff Wilson:

The Rangers and the agent for Martin Perez continue to talk about keeping the left-hander where he wants to be, with a team that could really use starting pitching.

It makes so much sense for the Rangers to keep Perez, but they have a few options.

The first is to give Perez a three-year deal worth $40 million to $45 million. Perez proved the entire season that he is the pitcher he was. His terrific May wasn't a fluke, as he continued pitching well, eating innings (196 1/3) and very effectively (2.89). He pitched better than Jon Gray, who was in the first year of a four-year, $56 million contract and hit the injured list three times.

The Rangers' old regime, which isn't much different from the new one, said they would not give Perez the same money as Gray

If they are unable to sign him to a deal to their liking, they could make him a qualifying offer. If he bolted for another team, the Rangers would receive draft pick compensation. That could be handy if the Rangers sign a player or two who come with compensation attached.

The qualifying offer is $19.4 million for one year. All teams love one-year contracts. Perez might love it, too.

He would receive a massive raise over the $4 million he made this season and could become a free agent again. Because the Rangers made him a qualifying offer, he would exempt from receiving one next offseason.

A repeat season and no compensation attached would increase his value.

But if he knows he can get $40 million elsewhere, he would have to take it. While he's likely supremely confident that he can repeat what he did in 2022, it would be too risky to turn down a $40 million guarantee.

The Rangers can't outsmart themselves here. They know what they have in Perez and what they don't have elsewhere in the rotation.

It makes so much sense.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Leiter's season, don't they have to start Rocker off in Hickory?

Leiter should stay at Frisco, I would think.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Leiter's season, don't they have to start Rocker off in Hickory?

Leiter should stay at Frisco, I would think.
Your way makes sense. It appears that Leiter forced his way to Hickory. Looks imprudent

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your way makes sense. It appears that Leiter forced his way to Hickory. Looks imprudent
I will add, I think Leiter would have done better in Frisco if he would have had a better pitching coach. He did well early on, but when he lost his way, he had no one to help him find it again, it seemed.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also from Jeff Wilson:

The Rangers and the agent for Martin Perez continue to talk about keeping the left-hander where he wants to be, with a team that could really use starting pitching.

It makes so much sense for the Rangers to keep Perez, but they have a few options.

The first is to give Perez a three-year deal worth $40 million to $45 million. Perez proved the entire season that he is the pitcher he was. His terrific May wasn't a fluke, as he continued pitching well, eating innings (196 1/3) and very effectively (2.89). He pitched better than Jon Gray, who was in the first year of a four-year, $56 million contract and hit the injured list three times.

The Rangers' old regime, which isn't much different from the new one, said they would not give Perez the same money as Gray

If they are unable to sign him to a deal to their liking, they could make him a qualifying offer. If he bolted for another team, the Rangers would receive draft pick compensation. That could be handy if the Rangers sign a player or two who come with compensation attached.

The qualifying offer is $19.4 million for one year. All teams love one-year contracts. Perez might love it, too.

He would receive a massive raise over the $4 million he made this season and could become a free agent again. Because the Rangers made him a qualifying offer, he would exempt from receiving one next offseason.

A repeat season and no compensation attached would increase his value.

But if he knows he can get $40 million elsewhere, he would have to take it. While he's likely supremely confident that he can repeat what he did in 2022, it would be too risky to turn down a $40 million guarantee.

The Rangers can't outsmart themselves here. They know what they have in Perez and what they don't have elsewhere in the rotation.

It makes so much sense.
I think Perez has earned a Gray contract but doubt if I would do more. Gray has better stuff but the injuries have limited his effectiveness

Perez relies on location but his swing and miss are suspect but he also has a veteran presence and to me has turned the corner and would be effective in the playoffs. I bet the Phils would like him as there #3 and trust him to 2 starts

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Perez has earned a Gray contract but doubt if I would do more. Gray has better stuff but the injuries have limited his effectiveness

Perez relies on location but his swing and miss are suspect but he also has a veteran presence and to me has turned the corner and would be effective in the playoffs. I bet the Phils would like him as there #3 and trust him to 2 starts
On our last World Series team he could have been our Ace.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will add, I think Leiter would have done better in Frisco if he would have had a better pitching coach. He did well early on, but when he lost his way, he had no one to help him find it again, it seemed.
Yeah but how much better is surely a question mark

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking forward to seeing what the new pitching coach in Frisco can do with this rotation in 2023.

Englert
Vanasco
Roby
Garcia
Leiter
Acker

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, the ghost runner is here to stay.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the mistake was giving Gray the money in the first place. It was an overpay.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Boch interview. Pretty certain about getting new pitchers
Heard that and the word ‘experienced’ I believe was used too.

Also it was this interview or another with Boch where he mentioned something to the effect of analytics and the need to still make managerial moves based on a manager’s judgement and feeling of the game.

I’m sure he made it clear in the negotiations there will be no phone calls down to the dugout during a game knowing what happened with Joe Madden.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that and the word ‘experienced’ I believe was used too.

Also it was this interview or another with Boch where he mentioned something to the effect of analytics and the need to still make managerial moves based on a manager’s judgement and feeling of the game.

I’m sure he made it clear in the negotiations there will be no phone calls down to the dugout during a game knowing what happened with Joe Madden.
Yeah he will make judgements on the dugout by the feel not excluding analytics but not dictates either

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job, Phillies!
I think the rainout helps the Phils and they got Gibson on the mound to protect the pen. Big games ahead

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I found the right information, this kid had an OPS that 64 points higher at the same age as Adolis did in the Cuban league.