• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 Spring Training

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this week's Evan Help Us column, Evan answers my question about which 5 prospects could step forward this year to help rank our system much higher than it is currently.

Here are five guys I think can take big steps:

1. Evan Carter: The 2nd-round pick was maligned last year for coming from a small high school and for not showing up in many high school showcases. But he wowed the Rangers last fall with his instincts and plate discipline. If he can make believers out of the national rankings gurus, too, once he gets more exposure, his profile could rocket.

2. He whose name can’t be spoken: Look, the Rangers are going to get the second pick in the draft. It is almost assuredly going to be an absolute stud, either of Vandy pitchers Kumar Rocker or Jack Leiter, Dallas Jesuit shortstop Jordan Lawlar or one of a select handful of other amateur stars. Whoever it is, he’s going to be the No. 1 prospect in the system the day he signs.

3. Cole Winn: If Kyle Cody and/or Dane Dunning blossom into legitimate big-league starters this season, that’s a goal met. If the top draft pick is a pitcher who could join the rotation by 2023, that’s another big step. If Winn, the No. 1 pick in 2018, moves forward as he should, it puts him in position to join the MLB rotation in 2022 and it gives the Rangers two really high-level pitching prospects on the verge of the majors. And it raises the possibility of — dare we say it — a strong home-grown rotation on the horizon.

4. Chris Seise: The infielder might be the best prospect in the organization. But who knows at this point because he’s had three consecutive seasons wrecked either by weird shoulder injuries or the pandemic. Seise, 22, has been in the organization since 2017. He has a total of 320 professional plate appearances since then — an average of 80 per year. His development has been significantly stalled. The Rangers love his instincts and his potential, but can he pick up after missing most of three years?

register

5. Owen White: Speaking of guys who haven’t appeared much in a Rangers’ uniform, how about this 21-year-old right-hander, who was the second-round pick in 2018. He’s yet to appear in a professional game. White was part of the 2018 draft pitching class that didn’t pitch in games as part of a workload management program. It failed him. He underwent Tommy John surgery in May, 2019. And didn’t pitch anywhere in 2020 until the shortened Fall Instructional League. But he averaged more than a strikeout per inning in his 14 innings of work. If he’s ready to go, he could add real depth to the top tier of pitching prospects.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked a question a few weeks ago. I asked what would it take for you guys who had already decided we should trade Gallo, to change your mind. I was mainly thinking about a regular season performance. Now, my question is, have the things you have read about Gallo this spring, not the HRs, but the adjustments he has made and the things in the article that Ephland linked to, changed your minds any?

My mind hasn't changed. Believe me, I want Gallo to succeed. But I have to take everything into account. Joey's been a big leaguer for years now. Is this the year he puts it all together? Maybe, maybe not. I'd have to see sustained success in order to make that determination. My biggest issue is that he's a Boras client during a time when contracts are going insane. Trout, Tatis, Bauer and Betts have exploded the market. I don't want the Rangers signing Gallo to an insane long-term deal based off one good season. If he shows marked improvement (to me: higher average and fewer K's, within reason for his approach) for 2021 and 2022, then I'd at least know that he's put it all together.

But for the Rangers rebuild, I think trading him at the deadline in 2022 provides the most value to the team, especially if he's put it together.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mind hasn't changed. Believe me, I want Gallo to succeed. But I have to take everything into account. Joey's been a big leaguer for years now. Is this the year he puts it all together? Maybe, maybe not. I'd have to see sustained success in order to make that determination. My biggest issue is that he's a Boras client during a time when contracts are going insane. Trout, Tatis, Bauer and Betts have exploded the market. I don't want the Rangers signing Gallo to an insane long-term deal based off one good season. If he shows marked improvement (to me: higher average and fewer K's, within reason for his approach) for 2021 and 2022, then I'd at least know that he's put it all together.

But for the Rangers rebuild, I think trading him at the deadline in 2022 provides the most value to the team, especially if he's put it together.
Boras is the biggest reason to trade him in my estimation. I am not sure I would trade him, but if I decided to, it would mainly be about Boras.

As far as Joey putting something together for more than a year, I would consider it two great years, numbers-wise. That is because, I decided last year that I was not going to give last year's stats too much importance. I think in most cases the 2020 stats can be ignored. For those who don't see it that way, they are going to value Joey a good deal less than I so. He was having a really good year in 2019 prior to his injury, so to me, a really good 2021 would be essentially, two in a row.

I have been all over the map regarding this topic over the last year. Right now, I am leaning toward keeping him and signing him to a longterm contract. I certainly understand your reasoning and other viewpoints though.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boras is the biggest reason to trade him in my estimation. I am not sure I would trade him, but if I decided to, it would mainly be about Boras.

As far as Joey putting something together for more than a year, I would consider it two great years, numbers-wise. That is because, I decided last year that I was not going to give last year's stats too much importance. I think in most cases the 2020 stats can be ignored. For those who don't see it that way, they are going to value Joey a good deal less than I so. He was having a really good year in 2019 prior to his injury, so to me, a really good 2021 would be essentially, two in a row.

I have been all over the map regarding this topic over the last year. Right now, I am leaning toward keeping him and signing him to a longterm contract. I certainly understand your reasoning and other viewpoints though.
i'd wait this year and do thru arb in 2022 and then see if long-term is an option

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Gallo. I would not extend this year just yet and would be open to trade and yes Boras is an issue.
We will need some long term contracts but is he the one you want to set the standard for others?
I wonder if a guy like Jung comes in second half and blows doors with little flaws gets a long term contract within a couple of years.
We need to extend definitel winning and cornerstone pieces and do that at the right time.
Gallo is ubertalented but things just have not fit into place. And he has proven flawed although he might it together

That being said the Rangers will never win if they let their best players go
But yes we have been said we are in a rebuild. So where does Gallo fit into this?
An interesting dilemma

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we better get ready to see Odor playing in the field this coming season. They playing him more and more at3rd

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Taveras is struggling early on in his quest to start the season here in CF, and both Hearn and Benjamin are doing well in their quest to be starting pitchers here this year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we better get ready to see Odor playing in the field this coming season. They playing him more and more at3rd
Hmm he is in the lineup again at 3B today.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone in the rangers front office gets a massive boner every time odor goes deep.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis was given a shot at 3B and then they traded him. Maybe that means Odor is going to be traded soon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears the Rangers are expecting Jung to take over at 3B during the second half of the season. If that is the case, then put someone at 3B to start the year who could potentially fetch the most in a trade in July. That is most likely not Odor.

It appears Taveras needs more time in the minors, so why not fill out part of the lineup this way.

LF Calhoun
CF Dahl
1B Guzman
DH Lowe

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears the Rangers are expecting Jung to take over at 3B during the second half of the season. If that is the case, then put someone at 3B to start the year who could potentially fetch the most in a trade in July. That is most likely not Odor.
It appears Taveras needs more time in the minors, so why not fill out part of the lineup this way.

LF Calhoun
CF Dahl
1B Guzman
DH Lowe
What happens with Lowe?