• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 Spring Training

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common sense says you need some veterans to help teach the younguns cause the coaches can't do it all...
We will have veterans long before we contend to win a championship. Those are luxuries for later. Besides we still have Odor, Holt, Dahl, and Culbertson on the roster. Gallo is a veteran himself now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have veterans long before we contend to win a championship. Those are luxuries for later. Besides we still have Odor, Holt, Dahl, and Culbertson on the roster. Gallo is a veteran himself now.
Three of those 5 are still younguns and need guidance to grow, one (possibly 2) probably isn't going to be around come OD so I.E. you only have one there Holt. Another one like Krush could go a long way in establishing the right culture in the clubhouse and his bat could help the team as a whole succeed and instill some confidence in the younger players. Just remember if Krush wasn't there it would still be Andrus, was/is his message any better than Krushes??? (The team doesn't seem to think so)...

BTA if you think all the kids can figure out everything on their own and become veterans on their own then why have something that every team in every sport in existence cherishes, older successful veterans???

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three of those 5 are still younguns and need guidance to grow, one (possibly 2) probably isn't going to be around come OD so I.E. you only have one there Holt. Another one like Krush could go a long way in establishing the right culture in the clubhouse and his bat could help the team as a whole succeed and instill some confidence in the younger players. Just remember if Krush wasn't there it would still be Andrus, was/is his message any better than Krushes??? (The team doesn't seem to think so)...

BTA if you think all the kids can figure out everything on their own and become veterans on their own then why have something that every team in every sport in existence cherishes, older successful veterans???
In our current situation, I have no problems with veterans of any age, as bench players, or as starters when we do not have someone ready to fill that spot in the lineup.

Also, when we are ready to contend I have no problem with veterans still in their prime in starting positions. I don't feel they have do be well into their thirties to do so though.

I do have a problem with writers inventing a problem where none exists. Evan Grant saying our situation is severe because we don't have a RH power bat is ridiculous. We can go get a RH power bat in free agency next winter. They can get two or three and it would be fine with me. Just don't sign anyone on their last legs like Davis or like we once did with Berkman.

Your idea that we have to have Elvis or Davis is not correct. No one put a gun to our head to retain Davis once we acquired him. Keeping Davis is a completely separate decision.

Last edited:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In our current situation, I have no problems with veterans of any age, as bench players, or as starters when we do not have someone ready to fill that spot in the lineup.

Also, when we are ready to contend I have no problem with veterans still in their prime in starting positions. I don't feel they have do be well into their thirties to do so though.

I do have a problem with writers inventing a problem where none exists. Evan Grant saying our situation is severe because we don't have a RH power bat is ridiculous. We can go get a RH power bat in free agency next winter. They can get two or three and it would be fine with me. Just don't sign anyone on their last legs like Davis or like we once did with Berkman.

Your idea that we have to have Elvis or Davis is not correct. No one put a gun to our head to retain Davis once we acquired him. Keeping Davis is a completely separate decision.
You have your vision the team has theirs so arguing yours until you're blue in the face is kinda pointless isn't it???

Which also means that neither vision could be the right one, doesn't it :nod:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well in the case of having one of our kids ready to step in at a position then they should but when we have no one ready to step in then use a veteran. The one position that no prospect should be put into is DH and there Davis fits the bill as he isn’t taking a spot from one of the kids.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have your vision the team has theirs so arguing yours until you're blue in the face is kinda pointless isn't it???

Which also means that neither vision could be the right one, doesn't it :nod:
Um, that is what this site is all about so I will continue stating my opinion on here.

You defending them is no less pointless, but that is what this site is for, so go ahead and state your opinion. Everyone on here is entitled to their own opinion and to discuss/argue that opinion. It would be a dead site if that were not the case.

Not sure what you mean by that last sentence. It sounds like you are saying where there is a difference of opinion, that means neither opinion can be right.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in the case of having one of our kids ready to step in at a position then they should but when we have no one ready to step in then use a veteran. The one position that no prospect should be put into is DH and there Davis fits the bill as he isn’t taking a spot from one of the kids.
That spot can be filled with Lowe for now and Calhoun eventually so he is taking a needed spot. You were the one wanting kids in every bench spot just a few weeks ago, now you don't even want a kid at DH. Lol, that is quite a change of heart.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You defending them is no less pointless,
Oh so telling you what the team is possibly thinking is defending them?

Ok whatever... :scratch:

Not sure what you mean by that last sentence. It sounds like you are saying where there is a difference of opinion, that means neither opinion can be right.
What I'm saying is neither course of action might be right, time will tell...

But from personal experience coaching for 15 years I have a tendency to agree with what the team is trying to do help the younguns succeed, cause it worked out well for me...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That spot can be filled with Lowe for now and Calhoun eventually so he is taking a needed spot. You were the one wanting kids in every bench spot just a few weeks ago, now you don't even want a kid at DH. Lol, that is quite a change of heart.
No I wanted kids that were ready to fill positions

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was not the point of what I was saying. You did seem to go beyond telling me what their thinking was. It seemed obvious that you believe that stance was the one to take.

My point was that this site is for us to express opinions. You brought up the idea that me giving mine was pointless and I was just saying that yours, mine and everyone else's on here is not really pointless at all.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I'm saying is neither course of action might be right, time will tell...

But from personal experience coaching for 15 years I have a tendency to agree with what the team is trying to do help the younguns succeed, cause it worked out well for me...
Got ya on the statement that neither may be right. I just wanted to clarify.

How many MLB teams did you coach during a longterm rebuild, where those teams went on to win a WS after a successful rebuild?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that this site is for us to express opinions. You brought up the idea that me giving mine was pointless and I was just saying that yours, mine and everyone else's on here is not really pointless at all.
When it won't give the younguns a chance to succeed, yeah it is pointless... :nod:

How many MLB teams did you coach during a longterm rebuild, where those teams went on to win a WS after a successful rebuild?
Never said I did...

And you???