• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is definitely different than the course I thought they would take and it is different than the course I wanted them to take. I really like Seager and Semien. I also really like the prospects that they have assembled over the last 2 to 3 years. They have done great in both areas, but I am not sure how each can mesh with the other.

I will give more time to see how things shake out though. One theory is, that they can simply trade these prospects that are blocked for prospects that they need. Another theory is, that they can simply change positions for 2 or 3 prospects and they can be used elsewhere. We are going to have to see if either of those theories actually are true. If not, then these moves this offseason will lose some of their luster for me. I am optimistic right now, but I know we won't really know for awhile.

If they start making these same kind of moves for longer term rotation pieces, then that will disappoint me. I want to see Leiter, Winn, Vanasco, White, and Roby all given a legitimate chance to be rotation members here.

I do think 6 to 8 of our top 20 prospects are going to be used as trade bait, because I sense that, despite what they have been saying, the front office wants to compete for the postseason in 2022.

If you had to give a grade for things as they stand?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had to give a grade for things as they stand?
If I have to grade now it would be B-.

The real grade is an "Incomplete."

I would say the actual final grade, after we see if they can utilize the prospects, will be between a "C" and an "A+."

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I have to grade now it would be B-.

The real grade is an "Incomplete."

I would say the actual final grade, after we see if they can utilize the prospects, will be between a "C" and an "A+."

I agree. It’s incomplete
If they make 2 good trades vs 2 bad trades..
It will greatly effect the grade.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It’s incomplete

The nature of the process means it's incomplete from a certain perspective. If we win the World Series in 2025 with major contributions from Seager/Semien and players that were acquired via trades that took place in the aftermath of those signings, then we could look back and say "wow, yeah that was an A+ effort by the front office."

Time will tell, in other words. But the effort is certainly there.

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nature of the process means it's incomplete from a certain perspective. If we win the World Series in 2025 with major contributions from Seager/Semien and players that were acquired via trades that took place in the aftermath of those signings, then we could look back and say "wow, yeah that was an A+ effort by the front office."

Time will tell, in other words. But the effort is certainly there.

Agreed, the effort is there
As of a to date grade, yeah definitely an A+!
It’s been an awesome last few days that’s for sure. Super excited to watch them next year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It’s incomplete
Lol. We give an Incomplete for two completely different reasons.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m really hoping they keep the team on a sustained path. We will definitely need contributions from cheaper younger talented players come 2026-2031. Those will be the players we draft and acquire next year and there after.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. We give an Incomplete for two completely different reasons.

Yeah, I want them to go ahead and field the best team they can this year without trading away a certain 9 or so guys lol
Make the team as good as possible then reevaluate come July 25th and go from there lol

Leiter, Jung, Winn, Roby, Carter, Smith, Acuna, Zavala and Harris would be the guys I would hate to see go.

There are others I wouldn’t want to see go but would be ok with.. like Vanasco, White, Foscue, Duran, Huff, Acosta etc..it will probably take guys like this to get any kind of decent return.. could probably package one of these with IKF or Brett Martin and also include another prospect not mentioned in this post.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Jeff Wilson.

All four players, veterans to varying degrees, had at least a working knowledge of the young players already on the Rangers’ roster and those who are coming from the farm system. They have all played at Globe Life Field, and love it. The Metroplex is where Semien and right-hander Jon Gray plan to live.

The money is a legit thing to the players, but not just the money they received. It’s the money the Rangers committed in total — $561.2 million — that reinforced what they had heard from the club during their courtships.

Semien and shortstop Corey Seager are represented by Scott Boras. Semien was the first meeting the Rangers scheduled in free agency and signed Sunday (seven years, $175 million) about 24 hours before Seager.

Boras said that Semien called him three times an hour Monday making sure Seager signed with the Rangers. The Rangers flashing their financial might opened eyes.

“My biggest concern with them going into the meeting was it can't just be me,” said Seager, who signed a 10-year, $325 million deal. “It takes a whole clubhouse. It takes going out and getting guys when you need them they've proven that so far. That was really exciting to see.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leiter, Jung, Winn, Roby, Carter, Smith, Acuna, Zavala and Harris would be the guys I would hate to see go.
I would say Leiter, Jung, Winn, Roby, Vanasco, Smith, White, Foscue, and Duran.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Leiter, Jung, Winn, Roby, Vanasco, Smith, White, Foscue, Duran.

That’s a good list too.

We have about 15 really good prospects IMO. With a lot more ready to take a step forward next year. Adding the 1st pick will only help. Our 4th & 5th pick should be decent as well. Then there’s always a player or 3 from rounds 6-20 that we might get lucky on.

I Wonder what a package of IKF, Wendzel, Henriquez and White would fetch?
Nestor Cortez from the Yankees?

What about Brett Martin, Hauver, Duran and Cody Bradford?
MJ Melendez?

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get an A+ for this point in the process. We shall see if we can hold the grade till opening day. So incomplete is a given. A grade for now is required

Also the 2 big signings may be the deciding factor to draw Suzuki and maybe another pitcher
Plus may get a shot at the trade market

Texas Rangers perception nationally has been transformed. Have to give credit to owners ponying up and the presentation by FO.

Of course now we have to go win more games

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I don’t want to overestimate out young SP about to emerge but also don’t want to underestimate it either. Very exciting and don’t want to lose patience for 2023

2022 we are a dark horse
2023 ready to do damage

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey has a great article here about what was probably our best offseason ever, when we picked up Palmeiro, Franco, and Nolan.

A few things stand out:

Man... imagine an OF of Juando and Sosa on those 90's teams.

The payroll back then is laughably small compared to now.

Had the Rangers added a few different pieces here and there, they probably could have gone further than they did, sooner than they did.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a good list too.

We have about 15 really good prospects IMO. With a lot more ready to take a step forward next year. Adding the 1st pick will only help. Our 4th & 5th pick should be decent as well. Then there’s always a player or 3 from rounds 6-20 that we might get lucky on.

I Wonder what a package of IKF, Wendzel, Henriquez and White would fetch?
Nestor Cortez from the Yankees?

What about Brett Martin, Hauver, Duran and Cody Bradford?
MJ Melendez?
I think it takes Cole Winn to land Melendez. Bleacher Report has updated their prospects list since MLB has and they have Melendez at 44 and Winn at 69. One site has Melendez above Jung. So Winn may not be enough by himself.