• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash had a personality that a lot of folks liked and it blinded them to his faults at times. He was a terrible manager who would have never been hired in the first place had we not had to hire the cheapest we could find at the time. Guys used to argue on the other boards that if the Rangers fired Wash, that another team would snap him up right away because he was so well thought of. Well, that was never going to happen because he is a great coach who was the essence of the Peter Principle when he was made a manager.

JD put together a great team back then, and yet, somehow, Wash couldn't get a championship out of them.

The Rangers have probably had at least 10 managers over the years who could have won it all in 2011.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year, everyone!!!

Let's hope this year brings our team no TJ surgeries, a full stadium during most of the season, a great draft, and some great development in our minors. Maybe we can even have a huge FA signing toward the end of the year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash had a personality that a lot of folks liked and it blinded them to his faults at times. He was a terrible manager who would have never been hired in the first place had we not had to hire the cheapest we could find at the time. Guys used to argue on the other boards that if the Rangers fired Wash, that another team would snap him up right away because he was so well thought of. Well, that was never going to happen because he is a great coach who was the essence of the Peter Principle when he was made a manager.

JD put together a great team back then, and yet, somehow, Wash couldn't get a championship out of them.

The Rangers have probably had at least 10 managers over the years who could have won it all in 2011.
I can't blame Wash for not winning the WS. The way I recall it was lost by a player in RF not making a play he would have made 99 of 100 times. Been a long time so I might be wrong but I remember it like tnat.
Players have to play.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame Wash for not winning the WS. The way I recall it was lost by a player in RF not making a play he would have made 99 of 100 times. Been a long time so I might be wrong but I remember it like tnat.
A player was in RF who had a reputation for not being a great fielder. At the same time a player who was a good defensive OF was sitting on the bench. And that was just one small part of the many things Wash did wrong during that series. It was enough all by itself though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player was in RF who had a reputation for not being a great fielder. At the same time a player who was a good defensive OF was sitting on the bench. And that was just one small part of the many things Wash did wrong during that series. It was enough all by itself though.
It can be debated for years but the play was not difficult and should have been made.I guess"IF" is still the biggest word in those kind of situations.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be debated for years but the play was not difficult and should have been made.I guess"IF" is still the biggest word in those kind of situations.
Yes, the play should have been made. The decision to make a defensive replacement should have been made too. The decision to send your closer back out after retaking the lead again should have been made. The decision to go with Holland instead of Harrison should have been made. In that series Cruz did a whole lot of things right and one thing wrong. Wash did many things wrong.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the play should have been made. The decision to make a defensive replacement should have been made too. The decision to send your closer back out after retaking the lead again should have been made. The decision to go with Holland instead of Harrison should have been made. In that series Cruz did a whole lot of things right and one thing wrong. Wash did many things wrong.
Agree but Cruz was the last line of defense and failed. Game over. Nothing before that mattered then. Wash was bad and no denying it. For one lousy play Cruz was worse.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but Cruz was the last line of defense and failed. Game over. Nothing before that mattered then. Wash was bad and no denying it. For one lousy play Cruz was worse.
No, the game wasn't over then and the series wasn't over after that game either. Wash made mistakes after the flyball that Cruz missed.

When that flyball was hit Cruz was out of position. He should have been positioned on the top step of the dugout. Lol

They played two more innings after Cruz didn't catch the ball.

Then we had Game 7 where Wash used the wrong starting pitcher.

To make matters worse, Wash lied about Chavez and Feliz later. He claimed Chavez was never told to get ready to go into the game and said Feliz said he couldn't go back out. Both players denied Wash's account and not a single coach or player has been found to back up what Wash said about Chavez or Feliz.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the game wasn't over then and the series wasn't over after that game either. Wash made mistakes after the flyball that Cruz missed.

When that flyball was hit Cruz was out of position. He should have been positioned on the top step of the dugout. Lol

They played two more innings after Cruz didn't catch the ball.

Then we had Game 7 where Wash used the wrong starting pitcher.
Getting old. Some time ago.
To make matters worse, Wash lied about Chavez and Feliz later. He claimed Chavez was never told to get ready to go into the game and said Feliz said he couldn't go back out. Both players denied Wash's account and not a single coach or player has been found to back up what Wash said about Chavez or Feliz.
My bad. Thought that was game 7.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

banister and brocail were a bunch of knuckleheads. I don’t think we would have ever won anything with banister. All banister will be remembered for is getting totally pantsed and owned by the lowly blue jays.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance Nate Lowe is our opening day 3B?
Give Ronald Guzman one more chance to prove himself at 1B. He did just win the MVP in Dominican Winter League. After 2 months or so if he’s doing bad and Jung is doing good maybe move Lowe to 1B and promote Jung to play 3B.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Ronald Guzman one more chance to prove himself at 1B. He did just win the MVP in Dominican Winter League. After 2 months or so if he’s doing bad and Jung is doing good maybe move Lowe to 1B and promote Jung to play 3B.
Nice to have those kind of options. Doubt Guz makes it but if he could we would have a great 1B

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
banister and brocail were a bunch of knuckleheads. I don’t think we would have ever won anything with banister. All banister will be remembered for is getting totally pantsed and owned by the lowly blue jays.
We seriously overachieved under Bannister at one time though. Not sure if he had anything to do with that or not. We probably had no business being in the playoffs with the Blue Jay's to begin with.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seriously overachieved under Bannister at one time though. Not sure if he had anything to do with that or not. We probably had no business being in the playoffs with the Blue Jay's to begin with.
The first year we played the jays and lost to them, I think we would’ve beat both the royals and Mets if we got past Toronto. The jays were a bad matchup for us.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely. The guy has a total of little over 1 year of ABs at the MLB level with 30 HRs and 103 RBIs. Quit jacking around with guys and let it play out and acting like we are actually contenders.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowe has started at 3B 5 times in his pro career. It would probably take a half season in the minors at least to learn the position well enough to play it up here, if he could learn it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely. The guy has a total of little over 1 year of ABs at the MLB level with 30 HRs and 103 RBIs. Quit jacking around with guys and let it play out and acting like we are actually contenders.
That is part of the reason the Lowe trade didn't make sense to me. Why not give Guzman 2 or 3 months and if he didn't perform we could bring up Apostle for 1B? If either Guzman or Apostle becomes a good player for another team it will really look bad for JD unless Lowe becomes a great player for us.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowe has started at 3B 5 times in his pro career. It would probably take a half season in the minors at least to learn the position well enough to play it up here, if he could learn it.

He did spend a lot of time working on 3B while training at the alternate site last year but who knows.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is part of the reason the Lowe trade didn't make sense to me. Why not give Guzman 2 or 3 months and if he didn't perform we could bring up Apostle for 1B? If either Guzman or Apostle becomes a good player for another team it will really look bad for JD unless Lowe becomes a great player for us.
We have the fortune of having several options at first and time to find out which best fits. Guz is my hope if only he can work out hitting. CY is now charged with putting things together and let's see if he can make something happen.