• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reason for actually posting this is this can't help but make person wonder how much influence AJ had while here since we are seeing the same similarities from the Rangers back about 10 years ago. Strong farm system and good acquisitions. Or is it that he took what he learned during that time and applied it in SD?
I would likely credit Preller for what happened with the Rangers 10 years ago, considering they haven't done much worthwhile since

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the JD era will continue as long as he is in charge.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you referring to Ron Washington who almost won mgr of the year and beloved by fans here minus a portion of the SportsHoopla base?
The same Ron Washington who failed to put in a defensive replacement for Cruz and cost us a Championship. The same one who chose Harrison to pitch against St. Louis instead of Holland. The same Wash who very overly-heavily relied on Michael Young. The same one who mishandled Profar. The same one who had substance abuse issues. The same one whose personal problems interfered with him being able to finish the 2014 season. The same one who constantly made terrible in-game decisions. Yes, that one.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since there are no more Teixeira or Hamilton trades to be made in baseball, all hope for a JD team winning it all may be lost.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same Ron Washington who failed to put in a defensive replacement for Cruz and cost us a Championship. The same one who chose Harrison to pitch against St. Louis instead of Holland. The same Wash who very overly-heavily relied on Michael Young. The same one who mishandled Profar. The same one who had substance abuse issues. The same one whose personal problems interfered with him being able to finish the 2014 season. The same one who constantly made terrible in-game decisions. Yes, that one.

don’t forget sticking with david Murphy all season as a starter when he didn’t have it because he was “ one of his guys”.

this organization really is the worst when it comes to giving guys too many chances and not giving the next man up a chance.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don’t forget sticking with david Murphy all season as a starter when he didn’t have it because he was “ one of his guys”.

this organization really is the worst when it comes to giving guys too many chances and not giving the next man up a chance.
I agree but it seems that they have maybe turned that corner with IKF moving to SS and Elvis to the bench and them telling Odor that he has to earn his spot at 2B

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot he gave away outs by putting the BUNT sign on every time Elvis came to bat.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot he gave away outs by putting the BUNT sign on every time Elvis came to bat.
Yes, he single-handedly drove Elvis' offensive game right into the ground.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do players take any accountability for their own performance?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do players take any accountability for their own performance?
Yes, and managers, GMs and owners should too. Take Odor for example. He obviously can play much better as he has put together several very good streaks. So he should be held accountable for his poor play. At the same time his manager and GM should be held accountable for refusing to bench him for the last couple of seasons or longer. It has all taken place with ownership seeing the wrong being done, but not stepping in to do something about it. Therefore Odor, Woodward, and JD should all be held accountable. Take ownership to the woodshed as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and managers, GMs and owners should too. Take Odor for example. He obviously can play much better as he has put together several very good streaks. So he should be held accountable for his poor play. At the same time his manager and GM should be held accountable for refusing to bench him for the last couple of seasons or longer. It has all taken place with ownership seeing the wrong being done, but not stepping in to do something about it. Therefore Odor, Woodward, and JD should all be held accountable. Take ownership to the woodshed as well.
Odor has several millions and two ponies in his pocket and a iron clad protective contract. Why worry about any thing?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners likely accountable to their pocketbook but yes I get you guys think JD is responsible for every world ailment.
And yes I get Preller has now become your golden child that can do no wrong.

Ha blaming someone other than Elvis for his bat going downhill seems a bit of a reach IMO

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners likely accountable to their pocketbook but yes I get you guys think JD is responsible for every world ailment.
And yes I get Preller has now become your golden child that can do no wrong.

Ha blaming someone other than Elvis for his bat going downhill seems a bit of a reach IMO
I think what they are alluding to is that Wash was gone and Elvis could hit away and his average and slugging percentage went up in 2016-17. He was no longer treated as a small ball hitter. Injuries then derailed him in 2018 and he showed some flashes of his 2016-17 offensive numbers in 2019. Last year I completely ignore as many players who normally have done well stunk up the place in 2020.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what they are alluding to is that Wash was gone and Elvis could hit away and his average and slugging percentage went up in 2016-17. He was no longer treated as a small ball hitter. Injuries then derailed him in 2018 and he showed some flashes of his 2016-17 offensive numbers in 2019. Last year I completely ignore as many players who normally have done well stunk up the place in 2020.
Of course I think Elvis suffered from his injury but maybe I missed his flashes. This is what I thought too.
Also to me when Beltre left the pressure of leadership by example looks to be a factor in his decline, also age.

And yes some of Wash cronyism with older players was flawed as well as some of his Ingame decision making. Still I have my doubts whether his proneness to the bunt stunted Elvis and also think all the big hitters Rangers had back then was a factor in his role

Overall this boards good pleasure appears to be in making certain individuals their whipping boy. And my posts seem to be disagreed with.
Just a personal perspective. Thanks for your post

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash right or wrong will be considered the greatest mgr ever for the Rangers until someone wins the WS. Despite his miscues he had things he did that were recognized and respected throughout the league as evidenced by MOY voting.

He definitely had a presence that appealed to fans from an entertainment perspective and yes baseball is in the entertainment business and yes to owners it is very much a business. We saw that this last season with all the drama re how many games to play and how playoffs were done. It’s a different era guys, like it or not

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash right or wrong will be considered the greatest mgr ever for the Rangers until someone wins the WS. Despite his miscues he had things he did that were recognized and respected throughout the league as evidenced by MOY voting.

He definitely had a presence that appealed to fans from an entertainment perspective and yes baseball is in the entertainment business and yes to owners it is very much a business. We saw that this last season with all the drama re how many games to play and how playoffs were done. It’s a different era guys, like it or not
Being honest I believe most any manager would have received MOY voting with the team Wash was blessed to manage. Teams like that make the entire organization look good. No manager would look good with the current Ranger team so we need to expect everyone to shine.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, those teams won inspite of Wash

Anyone who can't see that Elvis improved dramatically after Wash left has their eyes closed to it on purpose.