• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are willing to play the free agency game. Now comes the hard part: winning it.

Daniels has made it clear since the season ended that he expected the Rangers would increase their payroll, which was about $130 million in 2019, but didn’t indicate by how much. On Monday, by saying the Rangers were prepared to investigate the top of the market, he seemed to imply an increase of $30 million or more would not be out of the question. It would take as much to land one of the premier free agents.

To that end, the Rangers have been in touch with just about everybody on the just-opened free agent market. Yes, that includes the likes of both ace Gerrit Cole and third baseman Anthony Rendon, two sources said. Both are conveniently repped by agent Scott Boras. He also has other top-tier free agents, including pitchers Stephen Strasburg and Hyun-Jin Ryu and third baseman Mike Moustakas.

The first thing the Rangers must determine is how willing they are to dive into Cole and/or Rendon. Both are liable to require investments of seven or more years and $200 million or more.

And they might not stop there. Daniels said adding a top-tier free agent would “not necessarily” keep the Rangers from filling other needs with significant free agents.

“We’re going to sort through what’s best for us,” he said. “We’ve got an idea of where we’d like to go.”

It’s a dramatic change from the recent past.
not sure how serious the Rangers are about Gerrit Cole now. according to the MLB network Cole is looking for in excess of 300M for 7 or 8 years

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure how serious the Rangers are about Gerrit Cole now. according to the MLB network Cole is looking for in excess of 300M for 7 or 8 years
I think some team will make a big mistake with Gerrit Cole. It will look good for 2 or 3 years and then the last part of the contract will be very bad news.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want the Rangers to spend big in free agency, but I certainly don't want to go after fall back options. No Chan Ho Park or Sshin Soo Choo signings when the top tier doesn't work out. Don't settle for lesser players when better ones will.be available between now and when our window opens.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An absolute NO

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want the Rangers to spend big in free agency, but I certainly don't want to go after fall back options. No Chan Ho Park or Sshin Soo Choo signings when the top tier doesn't work out. Don't settle for lesser players when better ones will.be available between now and when our window opens.
if we fail to get Cole or Rendon then you are saying to do nothing, correct? what do we do about 3B, C and starting pitching for the 2020 season? we have no one ready for full time playing time at 3B or C and beyond Minor, Lynn and Allard we have a couple blank spots and no one really close to filling them

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we fail to get Cole or Rendon then you are saying to do nothing, correct? what do we do about 3B, C and starting pitching for the 2020 season? we have no one ready for full time playing time at 3B or C and beyond Minor, Lynn and Allard we have a couple blank spots and no one really close to filling them

That's not what he's saying at all, he's saying not to get into a bidding war for lesser talent

You can put Solak at 3B, or take a flier on Moustakas which could probably be had for a couple seasons at a reasonable cost, and maybe even flipped later on

We'll need a catcher to pair with Trevino regardless and there's plenty of reasonable options out there

There are SP options that don't break the bank, you hope to acquire someone that doesn't require 8 years 300 million, like another Lynn or Minor indeally

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some team will make a big mistake with Gerrit Cole. It will look good for 2 or 3 years and then the last part of the contract will be very bad news.
That is the case most of the time - the back end of the contract. And to me more so with a pitcher. I do believe Rendon like Beltre would be solid for a number of years but there is a break even point even with position players after a while but I am more inclined to go 5 years for a position player than a pitcher. 10 years for Pujols was ludicrous and as far as I am concerned as most on this board know I think 12 years for Trout is too.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the case most of the time - the back end of the contract. And to me more so with a pitcher. I do believe Rendon like Beltre would be solid for a number of years but there is a break even point even with position players after a while but I am more inclined to go 5 years for a position player than a pitcher. 10 years for Pujols was ludicrous and as far as I am concerned as most on this board know I think 12 years for Trout is too.
I feel really good about Rendon through year 5, and pretty good about him in year 6. To me even if he had an unproductive year in year 7, it would be worth it based on what we get from him in years 3 through 5 or 6. I want to have all the help we can get from 2021 through 2025.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said do nothing. The article I posted a link to, that Evan wrote, contained a lot of things I would like to see us do.

No to Donaldson and no to pitchers like Wheeler.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Trevino deserves a shot at catcher this year, but I am always interested if something better comes along.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Athletic paywall. But perhaps MLB will investigate further

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Athletic paywall. But perhaps MLB will investigate further

Yikes, I'll hold judgement until the Rangers are cleared of such actions, but if true and just the Astros get caught, even if there isn't an official asterisks next to their title, there will always be one in my mind and I'll be sure to let those new Astros fans know!

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty convincing evidence there.

I hope they lose multiple high draft picks, are not allowed to sign international talent for awhile, and maybe even suffer some more personnel penalties. Then those who are involved should face long suspensions and the team should face very heavy fines.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty convincing evidence there.

I hope they lose multiple high draft picks, are not allowed to sign international talent for awhile, and maybe even suffer some more personnel penalties. Then those who are involved should face long suspensions and the team should face very heavy fines.

May not be only guilty teams but they have gotten off easy in the past. Spying/Cards scandal, Brady Aiken fiasco, how they circumvented rules to get Alvarez despite no international money, forced MILB players to MLB contracts threatening to keep them down(Singleton). The whole tank approach of them and the Cubs has hurt the game

All this off the top of my head. BTW Drellich is former beat reporter of Houston from the Chronical

Really bad look for baseball.