• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then pay $250m for Cole
You don't need to spend that for pitching. Astros proved that. They spent a fortune and lost the WS. Minor and Lynn are good pitchers that can win with a good offense and good #3/#4/BP

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to spend that for pitching. Astros proved that. They spent a fortune and lost the WS. Minor and Lynn are good pitchers that can win with a good offense and good #3/#4/BP
on most teams Minor and Lynn would be #3 and #4. granted they are the best we've got but that doesn't make them a 1 and 2

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects are just that prospects. There is no guarantee that a prospect, no matter how good they are in the minors, is going to do it in the majors. That's why you solidify the top of the order with a and bring them in at 4 or 5 and let them get comfortable while working their way up.
If prospects are just prospects, then why don't we just make various trades and unload all 20 of our best prospects and bring in as many proven players as we can. If prospects are just prospects, that is.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need an ace at some point and Minor and Lynn are not in that category.

JD once said we would have to grow our own ace. I am willing to try doing that until we get to the point where an ace is the only thing standing between us and a championship. If we get to that point before we grow our own ace, we would need to trade for an ace, like we did when we acquired Cliff Lee.

The 2020 team won't have to have an ace. If one fell into place then fine. Otherwise, we have a ways to go before one is necessary.

We do have lots of other needs to go after though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need an ace at some point and Minor and Lynn are not in that category.

JD once said we would have to grow our own ace. I am willing to try doing that until we get to the point where an ace is the only thing standing between us and a championship. If we get to that point before we grow our own ace, we would need to trade for an ace, like we did when we acquired Cliff Lee.

The 2020 team won't have to have an ace. If one fell into place then fine. Otherwise, we have a ways to go before one is necessary.

We do have lots of other needs to go after though.
A solid offense and defense for starters

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If prospects are just prospects, then why don't we just make various trades and unload all 20 of our best prospects and bring in as many proven players as we can. If prospects are just prospects, that is.
Haha!. Catch your drift. We kind of did that a few years ago. Decimated our minors and had to start rebuilding it.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on most teams Minor and Lynn would be #3 and #4. granted they are the best we've got but that doesn't make them a 1 and 2
Disagree with this. Seems like WAR points out they are both top 10 pitchers. Minor or Lynn pitched like a number one the bulk of the year. Now agree with Saddles that I would not consider either an ace. Also agree adding an Ace is not needed for this club until it can put us over the top. Now where that point is makes interesting discussion.

We need a 3rd baseman but the thought of an injury prone expensive Donaldson as a stopgap for two years seems a waste.
Rangers have zero top 3 players on their team by position.

Get Rendon but if you can't just go home

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with this. Seems like WAR points out they are both top 10 pitchers. Minor or Lynn pitched like a number one the bulk of the year. Now agree with Saddles that I would not consider either an ace. Also agree adding an Ace is not needed for this club until it can put us over the top. Now where that point is makes interesting discussion.

We need a 3rd baseman but the thought of an injury prone expensive Donaldson as a stopgap for two years seems a waste.
Rangers have zero top 3 players on their team by position.

Get Rendon but if you can't just go home
so the Hicks plan: go for 1 player and if you don't get him give up. we saw that when Hicks went after AROD. once he got him he did nothing else to improve the team.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the Hicks plan: go for 1 player and if you don't get him give up. we saw that when Hicks went after AROD. once he got him he did nothing else to improve the team.

1. Just not discounting Minor and Lynn
2. Just a personal opinion. Like Rendon and upside. Do not Like josh D and injury downside and shot in the dark opinion-suspect clubhouse presence. Given owners propensity for limited budget- would rather spend elsewhere and figure out other stopgap which is what JD is. Even MM is better 2nd place solution

Haha to Hicks approach. You forget I am a JD apologist as alluded to by some on board.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Just not discounting Minor and Lynn
2. Just a personal opinion. Like Rendon and upside. Do not Like josh D and injury downside and shot in the dark opinion-suspect clubhouse presence. Given owners propensity for limited budget- would rather spend elsewhere and figure out other stopgap which is what JD is. Even MM is better 2nd place solution

Haha to Hicks approach. You forget I am a JD apologist as alluded to by some on board.
okay. if it sounded like I was discounting Minor and Lynn I apologize but I think we need to make the next step at pitching.
I like Rendon too and of the 3: Rendon, Donaldson & Moustakas, I would go with Rendon too but I don't see JD and the owners going whole hog on him. that's why I pay more attention to the rumors that the Rangers are going after Donaldson on a 2 or 3 year deal with the plan for Jung to ready at the end of his contract.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one player did Hicks go after and not get? It certainly wasn't ARod.

Hicks' money problems really have nothing to do with this team, unless present ownership is on the verge of bankruptcy .

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange the article did not mention Crawler Jr. alias Odor. He touched on nearly everyone else. Guess he was required to have JD proof read it before publishing it. Is a good article.

very good article. I can’t help, but wonder why he ignored the elephant in the room (odor), but ranger fans do want to see a meritocracy going forward and I fully expect that from management or I will start to sour on woodward.

I still think woody is 10X better than bannister tho. I’m hoping woodward had this “ nice because he’s the new guy” approach for year one only. Let’s play who should actually play going forward. Please!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say they don't win but on a lot of teams they would at best be a #3. I don't mean to diminish what they did but we need a true #1

That's a pretty serious underestimation of both of those guys, while I wouldn't say either of them are true aces, they're certainly capable of leading a solid rotation

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very good article. I can’t help, but wonder why he ignored the elephant in the room (odor), but ranger fans do want to see a meritocracy going forward and I fully expect that from management or I will start to sour on woodward!

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3