• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we get closer to contention we should have players who only need a handful of days off. Teams with holes in the lineup need super utility guys. When those holes are filled guys either play every day at a given position, or, as bench players, they sit for most of the season, except for injury replacement.

As long as we are preparing for the future we need to find out if Santana can handle playing a given position.
we have seen what he can do all season at multiple positions and tying him in at one position does exact that ties him to one position on a team that has multiple position needs. the idea of having Santana tied to one means we are restricting ourselves of his broad range of talent and leaving multiple questionable players like Odor at 2B, whomever we put at 3rd, whomever we put at 1B and unless you're talking about Santana in CF whomever plays there.

where would you put Santana? In CF then we have to decide where to put Gallo and what to do with DDJ. do we move Gallo to RF then what do we do with Mazara?
at 3B, then where do we play Solak? do we bench Odor and his contract or do we eat a large portion of his contract and unload him to another team or do we just release him and eat it all?
at 1B, then what about Guzman? do we send him down to AAA or do we give him time to develop with the Rangers?

these days positional players seemingly don't have the stamina to go 150 to 162 games a season so having 1 player who can step in and cover their position because of injury or rest makes him a very valuable asset

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we get closer to contention we should have players who only need a handful of days off. Teams with holes in the lineup need super utility guys. When those holes are filled guys either play every day at a given position, or, as bench players, they sit for most of the season, except for injury replacement.

As long as we are preparing for the future we need to find out if Santana can handle playing a given position.
oh I have to ask how close are we to becoming a contending team? I year. 2. 3. 4+

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Santana is a super utility player he could still get pLenty of ABs is we are platooning a couple of players. That being said I like him better in CF than what we have. Would not be surly if we got a CF on the market though

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless something changes re
1. DDJ
2. Odor slumps
3 Maz and Guzman mediocre players
4 stud at 3B
5. At least one very solid SP 3 or above.

Trades, FA pickups or improvement connected above is necessary for us to contend even for WC spot.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Santana is a super utility player he could still get pLenty of ABs is we are platooning a couple of players. That being said I like him better in CF than what we have. Would not be surly if we got a CF on the market though
I am hoping that a package of Mazara and others would get us a quality CF'er so we can move Gallo to right. Seeing Calhoun. Stud CF'er and Gallo from let to right just me feel really good.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless something changes re
1. DDJ
2. Odor slumps
3 Maz and Guzman mediocre players
4 stud at 3B
5. At least one very solid SP 3 or above.

Trades, FA pickups or improvement connected above is necessary for us to contend even for WC spot.
Right now we should be looking to improve in 2020 over 2019 by 4 to 7 games. Adding a side #1 starter and addressing at minimum should accomplish that. Adding a quality CF'er could increase that to 10 games better than 2019(from 78 wins to 88 wins)

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I have to ask how close are we to becoming a contending team? I year. 2. 3. 4+
I don't see us contending before 2022, but then stranger things have happened. The last window opened a year earlier than I expected so 2021 could be the year. I wouldn't count on it though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping that a package of Mazara and others would get us a quality CF'er so we can move Gallo to right. Seeing Calhoun. Stud CF'er and Gallo from let to right just me feel really good.
Which others are in the package with Maz and which stud CF are you acquiring?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have seen what he can do all season at multiple positions and tying him in at one position does exact that ties him to one position on a team that has multiple position needs. the idea of having Santana tied to one means we are restricting ourselves of his broad range of talent and leaving multiple questionable players like Odor at 2B, whomever we put at 3rd, whomever we put at 1B and unless you're talking about Santana in CF whomever plays there.

where would you put Santana? In CF then we have to decide where to put Gallo and what to do with DDJ. do we move Gallo to RF then what do we do with Mazara?
at 3B, then where do we play Solak? do we bench Odor and his contract or do we eat a large portion of his contract and unload him to another team or do we just release him and eat it all?
at 1B, then what about Guzman? do we send him down to AAA or do we give him time to develop with the Rangers?

these days positional players seemingly don't have the stamina to go 150 to 162 games a season so having 1 player who can step in and cover their position because of injury or rest makes him a very valuable asset
Deciding what to do with DeShields is easy. He doesn't start and he should be traded. They have said there will be no more playing Gallo in CF on a regular basis. Santana makes the most sense in CF. If we have a capable backup CF then Santana can still play other positions on occasion.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deciding what to do with DeShields is easy. He doesn't start and he should be traded. They have said there will be no more playing Gallo in CF on a regular basis. Santana makes the most sense in CF. If we have a capable backup CF then Santana can still play other positions on occasion.
That is what I don't understand. Why do we need a CF when we have a good one in Santana. A OF of Calhoun-L Santana-CF Gallo-RF is sufficient imo. Mazara Choo and DDJ has to be resolved however JD sees best. Will not be an easy task.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what CF'er we could get in a trade but would you oppose making the trade just so Santana can be given the opportunity? instead of wanting to give him the CF position how about we wait and see what the Rangers do doing the off-season?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what CF'er we could get in a trade but would you oppose making the trade just so Santana can be given the opportunity? instead of wanting to give him the CF position how about we wait and see what the Rangers do doing the off-season?
I don't ever want them to make a trade without knowing what we are getting and what we are giving up.

If you are going to trade for a stud player you are going to be giving up 3 or 4 of your best prospects. I am not sure I am in favor of doing that. When we are one player or one pitcher away I might be more in favor of going that route.

I am all I favor of signing a stud hitter in FA though, as long as he is under contract and can be expected to do well when our window opens.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't ever want them to make a trade without knowing what we are getting and what we are giving up.

If you are going to trade for a stud player you are going to be giving up 3 or 4 of your best prospects. I am not sure I am in favor of doing that. When we are one player or one pitcher away I might be more in favor of going that route.

I am all I favor of signing a stud hitter in FA though, as long as he is under contract and can be expected to do well when our window opens.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so wait until we're 1 starter or 1 positional player away. we are at least 2-4 pitchers and 2 to 4 positional players away from that level right now. how long do you think it will take to get to the level of 1 or the other? I see that as 2-4 years away unless we start now this off-season. I don't argue with your concept just how long it would take to reach it

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C - Trevino/Mathis.... Wieters?
1B - Guzman
2B - Odor/Solak
3B - Solak/Rendon or other FA
SS - Andrus
LF - Calhoun
CF - Santana
RF - Gallo
DH - Mazara

Trade Choo for whatever you can at this point... or acquire a 3B and also trade Odor, though I don't really see anyone taking him... at least Choo can still hit

I'm ok with keeping DDJ as a 4th OFer and IKF can be the super UTIL guy

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1B - Guzman
2B - Odor/Solak
SS - Andrus
LF - Calhoun
CF - Santana
RF - Gallo
DH - Mazara

Trade Choo for whatever you can at this point... or acquire a 3B and also trade Odor, though I don't really see anyone taking him... at least Choo can still hit

Pretty much right on. If Guzman's bat comes alive in the off season we will be in very good shape.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1B - Guzman
2B - Odor/Solak
SS - Andrus
LF - Calhoun
CF - Santana
RF - Gallo
DH - Mazara

One of the reasons it may be difficult to keep both Mazara and Guzman is that we are so left handed.

Often wondered if Mazara can play 1B. He would appear to have higher ceiling but still at this point no reason to be married to them. Pence is a good DH type but we have to move some guys

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons it may be difficult to keep both Mazara and Guzman is that we are so left handed.

Often wondered if Mazara can play 1B. He would appear to have higher ceiling but still at this point no reason to be married to them. Pence is a good DH type but we have to move some guys

Depends on if you want offense or defense out of that spot

Then again you could get 30 HRs and 90+ RBIs out of a position and it would be considered no production by some on this board