• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is too early go give up on Mazara or Gallo. If we are ever going to a WS again we are going to have to have hitters. If those guys pan out we may be able to sign them long term or trade them for much more than we could get now. They haven't received the Profar treatment so they might be willing to stay awhile.

Trading Odor or Deshields would be fine to me, but I can't imagine JD doing that as he seems to be a very big fan of both.
Gallo is a hitter alright, a bad one.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not say giving up @saddles just thinking they may bring us a piece of the future.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo is a hitter alright, a bad one.
If he can put up an OPS of .810 as a bad hitter that makes me want to hang onto him to see if he can become even a decent hitter and put up an OPS closer to .900.

I used to hear about Cruz being a bad hitter and eventually it clicked for him. I am hoping that happens with Joey. Even as he is now, Joey put up an OPS just a few points shy of what Cruz put up in 2011. I think Joey would have caught the ball that Cruz failed to catch as well.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not say giving up @saddles just thinking they may bring us a piece of the future.
I want Joey to succeed and be a huge part of that future. I think his upside is much higher than what we could get for him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Joey to succeed and be a huge part of that future. I think his upside is much higher than what we could get for him.
It all comes down to individual opinions. I had rather keep Maz. He already has shown the future looks bright. Either way one of the two need to be traded to make way for Calhoun. Choo will be FA with the Rangers and DDJ has little trade value. Doesn't leave much to work with.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all comes down to individual opinions. I had rather keep Maz. He already has shown the future looks bright. Either way one of the two need to be traded to make way for Calhoun. Choo will be FA with the Rangers and DDJ has little trade value. Doesn't leave much to work with.

He hasn't really improved much in 3 years, he hasn't put up a OPS of over .753 in 3 seasons and is pretty awful defensively, trade Gallo if you think he brings a much better talent package than Mazara, not because Mazara is better, because he's not

I like Mazara, he's a competent Major Leaguer, but everything about him rates below average to slightly above average, he doesn't walk much, doesn't hit for much power considering his size, doesn't hit for a high average, and as stated above bad defensively'

Though, I don't see why either of these guys needs to be traded for the purpose of making room for Calhoun, thats beyond stupid, trade one for talent, sure, but not to make room for Calhoun, Calhoun is probably a higher average Mazara with less power, otherwise their skill sets are similar, hard pass

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can put up an OPS of .810 as a bad hitter that makes me want to hang onto him to see if he can become even a decent hitter and put up an OPS closer to .900.

I used to hear about Cruz being a bad hitter and eventually it clicked for him. I am hoping that happens with Joey. Even as he is now, Joey put up an OPS just a few points shy of what Cruz put up in 2011. I think Joey would have caught the ball that Cruz failed to catch as well.
I don't think Gallo cares about OPS. He has said on several occasions that all he cares about is hitting homeruns and changing the scoreboard. How are you going to do that hitting less than .210. I think it's ridiculous that he doesn't even try to go the other way. He can blame the shift all he wants. But the end result is all on him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Gallo cares about OPS. He has said on several occasions that all he cares about is hitting homeruns and changing the scoreboard. How are you going to do that hitting less than .210. I think it's ridiculous that he doesn't even try to go the other way. He can blame the shift all he wants. But the end result is all on him.
As long as his OPS is over .800 I guess it doesn't matter if he cares about it or not. He certainly has a lot of room for improvement, but even where he is today is better than a lot of guys who have come through here. I just don't think it is time to discard him as a failure. Like Cruz he may be a late bloomer. If he is a late bloomer, his bloom will be even bigger than Cruz's. If he isn't ever going to amount to much, we have plenty of time before our minor league OF prospects are ready to find out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of things to address this season. Will be interesting to watch how the new regime handles them.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of things to address this season. Will be interesting to watch how the new regime handles them.

Team is definitely going to stink next year. I’m still waiting for that feeling of hope. I’m still waiting for the announcement that we have a ton of talent in the minors just waiting to get up here. I’m still waiting for that moment where it actually feels like we’re building something.

Right now it just seems like we’re spinning aimlessly in circles.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team is definitely going to stink next year. I’m still waiting for that feeling of hope. I’m still waiting for the announcement that we have a ton of talent in the minors just waiting to get up here. I’m still waiting for that moment where it actually feels like we’re building something.

Keep in mind this is a re-build and nothing more. Moves and trades will be made and try and enjoy the chess game. I'm not expecting other than watching a future be born.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have talent in the minors. Most of it is in the lower levels.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as his OPS is over .800 I guess it doesn't matter if he cares about it or not. He certainly has a lot of room for improvement, but even where he is today is better than a lot of guys who have come through here. I just don't think it is time to discard him as a failure. Like Cruz he may be a late bloomer. If he is a late bloomer, his bloom will be even bigger than Cruz's. If he isn't ever going to amount to much, we have plenty of time before our minor league OF prospects are ready to find out.
2 years minimum

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are not only rebuilding from players standpoint but also from an organizational stendpoint. New coaches and philosophy. Players will be developed differently. Hopefully talented players can better reach their potential.

Gallo is a unicorn unfortunately one who strikes out slot and who does not go the other way. But you don’t discard unicorns this easily. He could easily become another teams Josh Hamiltion. To me he fits the mold at RF but do wonder if 3B is best fit for team and him.

Mazara if thought to progress as his potential points needs to extended if we see a position for him. To me he looks like a 1B. These are the tough questions. DDJ is a 4th OF to me and you can get those at a lesser price. Throw Guzman into the mix and we have too many guys at RF/1B. Someone has to move or play out of their best natural position.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years minimum

2 years for what? Despite ugly strikeouts he is still probably the 2nd best hitter on team and definitely he best slugger. He is playing on the cheap. Odor got the money and has been extremely inconsistent.

Plenty of blame to share instead of this board making Gallo the lone whipping boy. Geessh

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately Profars goose was cooked once Odor signed long term. He is going to be better at 2B then 3rd

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ghost of Profar will haunt us a while. Already looking for a 3rd baseman.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years for what? Despite ugly strikeouts he is still probably the 2nd best hitter on team and definitely he best slugger. He is playing on the cheap. Odor got the money and has been extremely inconsistent.

Plenty of blame to share instead of this board making Gallo the lone whipping boy. Geessh
Before we see JPM and Taveras making it to the team and then Mazara, Gallo and Calhoun will be blocking them.