• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Christmas is over. Happy New Year to all. Hope it works out well for the Rangers.

Christmas wishes

1. We get further growth in our young hitters.
2. Calhoun plays regularly.
3. Young pitchers make it up and do well after the break

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Christmas is over. Happy New Year to all. Hope it works out well for the Rangers.

Christmas wishes

1. We get further growth in our young hitters.
2. Calhoun plays regularly.
3. Young pitchers make it up and do well after the break
i hope so too but with Choo, Gallo, Deshields and Mazara I don't think 2 is going to happen

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Inbox: What's the plan for 2019?

If no bats are traded between now and the beginning of the season, is it most likely that outfielder Willie Calhoun starts the season in Triple-A?
-- Charles G., Arlington

Yes, right now he would be the odd man out with Joey Gallo and Nomar Mazara as the corner outfielders, Delino DeShields in center, Ronald Guzman at first and Shin-Soo Chooat designated hitter. But that's just for the moment. The Rangers still have people looking at their young offensive talent and who knows what moves could be brewing before Spring Training.

We've had some incredible young talent, and a good handful of times players came up for injury replacement and stayed. Who is your pick for the next surprise callup who stays in the bigs?
-- Brandon S., Bryant, Ark.

Outfielder Scott Heineman wouldn't exactly be a surprise, but he has a chance to get to the big leagues and have an impact on the Rangers. It is also notable that the Rangers have moved on from Ryan Rua and Drew Robinson. That seems to indicate a certain amount of confidence in Heineman's ability in providing outfield depth.

Does Isiah Kiner-Falefa need half a season at Triple-A to hone catching skills and is Jarrod Saltalamacchia worth a one-year contract as a stop gap?
-- Donald M., Quinlan, Texas

The Rangers are not done acquiring catching, and it would not be surprising if they decided Kiner-Falefa needs more time. But that may be decided in Spring Training after the new regime sizes him up. He could easily end up sharing time under the tutelage of Jeff Mathis. Saltalamacchia has had a nice career that includes a World Series ring with Boston, but he is not an answer for the Rangers.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Inbox: What's the plan for 2019?

If no bats are traded between now and the beginning of the season, is it most likely that outfielder Willie Calhoun starts the season in Triple-A?
-- Charles G., Arlington

Yes, right now he would be the odd man out with Joey Gallo and Nomar Mazara as the corner outfielders, Delino DeShields in center, Ronald Guzman at first and Shin-Soo Chooat designated hitter. But that's just for the moment. The Rangers still have people looking at their young offensive talent and who knows what moves could be brewing before Spring Training.

We've had some incredible young talent, and a good handful of times players came up for injury replacement and stayed. Who is your pick for the next surprise callup who stays in the bigs?
-- Brandon S., Bryant, Ark.

Outfielder Scott Heineman wouldn't exactly be a surprise, but he has a chance to get to the big leagues and have an impact on the Rangers. It is also notable that the Rangers have moved on from Ryan Rua and Drew Robinson. That seems to indicate a certain amount of confidence in Heineman's ability in providing outfield depth.

Does Isiah Kiner-Falefa need half a season at Triple-A to hone catching skills and is Jarrod Saltalamacchia worth a one-year contract as a stop gap?
-- Donald M., Quinlan, Texas

The Rangers are not done acquiring catching, and it would not be surprising if they decided Kiner-Falefa needs more time. But that may be decided in Spring Training after the new regime sizes him up. He could easily end up sharing time under the tutelage of Jeff Mathis. Saltalamacchia has had a nice career that includes a World Series ring with Boston, but he is not an answer for the Rangers.

Seems logical with Calhoun being blocked, why would Heineman be put on the block too? Sick of Choo. Move Gallo and DDJ. Choo is buried in concrete.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems logical with Calhoun being blocked, why would Heineman be put on the block too? Sick of Choo. Move Gallo and DDJ. Choo is buried in concrete.

Didn't see anywhere it said that Heineman is on the block...

If the cost to play Calhoun is Choo, sure

If it's Gallo, don't see the logic in that

I could see DDJ if the alternative was someone better than just Heineman

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see anywhere it said that Heineman is on the block...

If the cost to play Calhoun is Choo, sure

If it's Gallo, don't see the logic in that

I could see DDJ if the alternative was someone better than just Heineman
I was the one saying no use bringing Heinman up if he is also going to be blocked too.

I believe we are stuck with Choo.
Agree with your opinion of DDJ vs Heinman.
Sorry I'm not a Gallo fan until he learns to hit. Hopefully the new coaches can help him. Like it or not a move in the OF needs to be made. Pick your choice.

Blumhouse

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do we think about this trade? I’m entirely out of touch.

I loved Profar with his talent and versatility.

However, he became a mal content when he was stuck in the minors and when I saw him play in LA last season he appeared cocky. Confident is good, cocky is not.

He was rated as one of the poorest defensive 3rd baseman last year and not a good fit at that position with his history of shoulder problems.

Doesn’t seem like we got much for him but that remains to be seen.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our next move includes Minor. I hope we move an OF as well maybe in the same trade.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OF is a mess. Who moves?:noidea:

My guess is Mazara, Choo or DDJ. Sorry but don’t think has given up on Gallo but anything is possible depending upon the return

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Mazara, Choo or DDJ. Sorry but don’t think has given up on Gallo but anything is possible depending upon the return
IMO DDJ stays. No CF replacement for him. Choo is nothing but a long shot. Maz and Gallo are most likely to be traded and hopefully it's Joey. Hey, I can guess. lol:D

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our next move includes Minor. I hope we move an OF as well maybe in the same trade.
Unless the OF is Choo then I really don't see a need to move one.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the OF is Choo then I really don't see a need to move one.

OF is heavy and Maz and Gallo could possibly bring some pitching. Hopefully Gallo.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OF is heavy and Maz and Gallo could possibly bring some pitching. Hopefully Gallo.
I think it is too early go give up on Mazara or Gallo. If we are ever going to a WS again we are going to have to have hitters. If those guys pan out we may be able to sign them long term or trade them for much more than we could get now. They haven't received the Profar treatment so they might be willing to stay awhile.

Trading Odor or Deshields would be fine to me, but I can't imagine JD doing that as he seems to be a very big fan of both.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is too early go give up on Mazara or Gallo. If we are ever going to a WS again we are going to have to have hitters. If those guys pan out we may be able to sign them long term or trade them for much more than we could get now. They haven't received the Profar treatment so they might be willing to stay awhile.

Trading Odor or Deshields would be fine to me, but I can't imagine JD doing that as he seems to be a very big fan of both.
Don't see it as giving on Mazara and Gallo but as looking toward the future and picking up Prspects. Remember in 2020 or 2021 or so we will be talking about JPM and Taverse and needing to move people to play them

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't see it as giving up on them but rather looking ahead a couple of years when JPM and Taveras are ready and we have tough decisions to make. We might get better prospects now instead of then