• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still see it lean in the one area that hurts us the most, starting pitching, we have a lot of guys you can get excited about for one reason or another but nothing concrete

To this day, JD and company has not been able to acquire starting pitching through the draft or Latin America, or young guys via trade
Agree with the body of this statement. I know that Saddles is optimistic about Crouse, Ragans and Palumbo but as jta states there is nothing concrete about them panning out and our past for the most part has exhibited that. I remember the excitement about the DVD trio and even though Volquez got us Hamilton which was great for a time it did not ever pan out for us pitching wise. Pitching is a tough thing to see all the way thru and we did crater our farm system of pitching in order to win a World Series. I am not complaining about that but it is what it is. We have been even void of position players at the higher levels but that is changing and it is those players along with what we have on the roster now that may continue to help us build the staff we need. Time will tell. We will know if a couple of years.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the body of this statement. I know that Saddles is optimistic about Crouse, Ragans and Palumbo but as jta states there is nothing concrete about them panning out and our past for the most part has exhibited that. I remember the excitement about the DVD trio and even though Volquez got us Hamilton which was great for a time it did not ever pan out for us pitching wise. Pitching is a tough thing to see all the way thru and we did crater our farm system of pitching in order to win a World Series. I am not complaining about that but it is what it is. We have been even void of position players at the higher levels but that is changing and it is those players along with what we have on the roster now that may continue to help us build the staff we need. Time will tell. We will know if a couple of years.
We have been disappointed in the past regarding pitching prospects. That is very true.

Neither of the DVD trio ever panned out as an ace, but two of them did have relatively long careers.

One thing about the DVD prospect era that doesn't hold a candle to this current era is what is available outside of the top trio. Besides my top three of Crouse Palumbo and Ragans there is also Cole Winn and Owen White that some regard very highly. Then there are about half a dozen more that some expect to have very good careers.

As excited as we were about Danks and Volquez, their early minor league numbers don't compare to Crouse or Palumbo's. If they were all in our system today Crouse and Palumbo would be ranked well above those three. If Ragans bounces back he might be in that same category 8 months from now.

Like you said though, there is nothing concrete. Actually, there never is. Even in trades and free agent signings there is nothing concrete.

We may yet see one huge disappointment or catastrophe after another afflict our pitching prospects, but until that happens I feel much better about this group that I ever have about any other group. We have both the quality and quantity to fill out a top flight MLB staff even with a few disappointments along the way.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have been disappointed in the past regarding pitching prospects. That is very true.

Neither of the DVD trio ever panned out as an ace, but two of them did have relatively long careers.

One thing about the DVD prospect era that doesn't hold a candle to this current era is what is available outside of the top trio. Besides my top three of Crouse Palumbo and Ragans there is also Cole Winn and Owen White that some regard very highly. Then there are about half a dozen more that some expect to have very good careers.

As excited as we were about Danks and Volquez, their early minor league numbers don't compare to Crouse or Palumbo's. If they were all in our system today Crouse and Palumbo would be ranked well above those three. If Ragans bounces back he might be in that same category 8 months from now.

Like you said though, there is nothing concrete. Actually, there never is. Even in trades and free agent signings there is nothing concrete.

We may yet see one huge disappointment or catastrophe after another afflict our pitching prospects, but until that happens I feel much better about this group that I ever have about any other group. We have both the quality and quantity to fill out a top flight MLB staff even with a few disappointments along the way.
I like what you have to say Saddles but until then jta is correct in that is one area that JD has not succeeded in. But I hope that changes in these young arms coming up thru the system turn out to be productive at the MLB level.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what you have to say Saddles but until then jta is correct in that is one area that JD has not succeeded in. But I hope that changes in these young arms coming up thru the system turn out to be productive at the MLB level.
Lol. I often get accused of never finding anything positive and when I do no one agrees. How ironic is that.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would JD consider signing Adam Jones? We are loaded in the OF now.
Jones Choo Calhoun DeShields Gallo Mazara:crazy:
Someone will need to go.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have much hope with Gallo, unless he changes his approach.
My comment was in response to Saddles link "5 areas Rangers have to address"

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that Gallo should be placed in one position and build the team around him with the hope he improves hitting.
They were going to leave him at 1B last year and then for some reason that changed because Elvis got hurt.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were going to leave him at 1B last year and then for some reason that changed because Elvis got hurt.
Wonder where Guzman stands. Doesn't appear he bodes well.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder where Guzman stands. Doesn't appear he bodes well.
I think that would be a mistake. We need to stick with him thru 2019 and see what we have for sure. His average was low but his swing to me makes me think that could go up. When he first was at Hickory and then again at RR his average was low the 1st go around and then went up dramatically the 2nd year. Plus he showed some pop.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be a mistake. We need to stick with him thru 2019 and see what we have for sure. His average was low but his swing to me makes me think that could go up. When he first was at Hickory and then again at RR his average was low the 1st go around and then went up dramatically the 2nd year. Plus he showed some pop.
FO considering moving Gallo to 1st would certainly be an indication.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20181230_134136.jpgwent to texas live yesterday and snapped some pics of the new stadium construction

The roof will be nice but it won't hold a candle to RBiA, still a gem to this day

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year everyone. Hope it's a prosperous year for everyone and the Rangers.