• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my thinking is they have a CF'er available to act as a stopgap in Scott Heineman but that means Deshields and Robison are expendable. hopefully they do find someone to take Choo but still think it involves the Rangers eating at minimum 50% of the 42M over the next 2 years. and it's a toss up in my book of who they trade between Odor and Andrus with me leaning more toward Andrus because of his age and dependability. one scenario I read was Andrus to the Dodgers for multiple prospects.
I think if they thought that about Heineman then he would have been up here in September. I am not saying you are wrong about him, I just don't think the FO are big fans of his. I would give either him or Robinson a chance, but they don't appear to care about either one of them as regulars.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading that Mauer probably has played his last game for the Twin and retires. do you think the Twins would take Choo and $22M in a trade?
I think you need a better team that considers Choo a final piece to help them win next year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not seeing how that makes any sense, given Elvis' contract situation.
Hopefully he stays but if he decides to inform the team he plans to opt out maybe they can convince him to allow them to look for a trade partner. He will be 30 next season and may not want to hang around for the 3+ years of rebuilding when he could go to a proven playoff team and maybe get a WS ring

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need a better team that considers Choo a final piece to help them win next year.
The Twins have a good starting rotation and reasonably good position players they need middle infield help and if Mauer retires a DH. They could challenge for a playoff spot next year. Maybe they look at Choo as being DH they need and if the Rangers eat enough of the 42M he's owed them they make some kind of offer for him

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you would disagree with that part. It usually takes a lot more for you to think the FO has failed than it does for me to think so.

Choo was a terrible hitter for a big part of the second half. He was in some kind of zone for awhile which helped his overall numbers.

It isn't foolish at all. It is never foolish to prepare for the future. If this was 30 year-old Choo and we had a legitimate chance to make a lot of noise in the postseason next year then it would be foolish. It isn't that way at all though. Father Time always wins. In this case you have an aging player who just went through a lengthy terrible stretch. To get rid of him to make room for one of your best prospects would be very wise.

If the Dodgers still had Calhoun and they offered him to us for Choo it would be foolish to turn down that trade even if we had to pay 60% of Choo's salary. That is because Calhoun is a lot more valuable player going forward.

By the way, I never said we should release Choo. I think we should first convince him that he should be traded by telling him he will be a bench player for us going forward and then we should eat whatever amount of salary we have to eat to make a trade.

Ha would not want to disappoint you as we need someone to keep high the JD banner.
And of course you know I hope we move Choo and I do like Willie Rakes. He sprays the ball has power and I think will hit for average. Could end up at some point in his career as hitting 2 in the lineup

And of course in a different forum I might make some of your points

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s a guess.

The last year and a half Odor played like a guy who was “ just trying to stay up” and Banny never had the balls to send him down to AAA. The last half odor played more loose and relaxed, much better results.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one whose glad we quit on mr. “Never ever quit guys” I thought he was corny and not a good manager.

The last 2 managers have been “player’s managers”. I’d like to see a tactician who can help us learn how to win.

Bob Melvin and AJ hinch both seem like the type.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And maybe moving under contract he could get his contract renegotiated with a new team. That is not going to happen here

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one whose glad we quit on mr. “Never ever quit guys” I thought he was corny and not a good manager.

The last 2 managers have been “player’s managers”. I’d like to see a tactician who can help us learn how to win.

Bob Melvin and AJ hinch both seem like the type.
Start with the FO to get some pitching. No mgr could win with these rag arms.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they thought that about Heineman then he would have been up here in September. I am not saying you are wrong about him, I just don't think the FO are big fans of his. I would give either him or Robinson a chance, but they don't appear to care about either one of them as regulars.
I hope they finally realize that Robinson is a good minor league player and unfortunately that doesn't carry over into the majors. Heineman appears to a solid defensive and offensive player who should get the chance on the major league level

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they finally realize that Robinson is a good minor league player and unfortunately that doesn't carry over into the majors. Heineman appears to a solid defensive and offensive player who should get the chance on the major league level
You are giving up on Robinson after 216 AB?

Do you realize that his minor league numbers were far superior this season to any of his other minor league seasons? That indicates to me that he has improved.

I remember when everyone gave up on Nelson Cruz after about 440 AB in the big leagues.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are giving up on Robinson after 216 AB?

Do you realize that his minor league numbers were far superior this season to any of his other minor league seasons? That indicates to me that he has improved.

I remember when everyone gave up on Nelson Cruz after about 440 AB in the big leagues.
So you think Robinson is going to be the next Nelson Cruz? Like Deshields & Rua Robinson is overwhelmed by big league pitching

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think Robinson is going to be the next Nelson Cruz? Like Deshields & Rua Robinson is overwhelmed by big league pitching
DeShields is in a completely different category. He has had over 1300 AB and most of those AB have come during consistent playing time. Consistent playing time is something that has barely been afforded those other two. With Rua, every time he has had consistent playing time for a month or so he has done well. Robinson has had barely over 200 AB.

You see those three guys as the same because you have so little patience with guys breaking into the league. If they aren't a hit immediately you give up on them. That is why I mentioned Nelson Cruz. It isn't because I expect Robinson to be the next Nelson Cruz. For one thing Robinson would not lose us a WS title with his glove. Unless you have changed drastically, I can bet you were ready to run Cruz out of town and hated every time he got another chance. Remembering Cruz is important because he should have taught Rangers fans that sometimes guys take awhile to come into their own.