• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be directly in response to what Elvis said.

When Beltre was leaving game Calhoun was by his self as if he has not earned his stripes. Hope his voluntary retreat pays off. He is a natural hitter. Earlier and have mentioned that he wants to take time to get in better shape.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calhoun is a big question. If DeShields, Tocci, Drew or a FA is our 2019 CF then Calhoun is left out in the cold. However, if Gallo or Maz should be traded, that could save Willie. Really don't see that happening.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Bogar and Sciocia missing from that list.

Ha I think a Sandy Alomar type should be a favorite although if no one is good Dusty Baker for two years seems interesting. Doubt that is the transition JD is looking for. It's a young man game IMO

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ha I think a Sandy Alomar type should be a favorite although if no one is good Dusty Baker for two years seems interesting. Doubt that is the transition JD is looking for. It's a young man game IMO

The manager accounts for up to 5 wins a year I’ve heard. Based on that, only these 2 requirements would be needed. Somebody with at least 5 years experience so they won’t make on the job training mistakes and somebody who has the ability to make the strategic moves to get those 5 wins.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Props to the enemy team. End of an era. Thinking of them taking on all those sorry contracts and all those faces he made.
He had a heart for his team. Give him that

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The manager accounts for up to 5 wins a year I’ve heard. Based on that, only these 2 requirements would be needed. Somebody with at least 5 years experience so they won’t make on the job training mistakes and somebody who has the ability to make the strategic moves to get those 5 wins.

Would be nice to not have to learn on the job but maybe that is why they cut Banny loose now as whole team including manger will have to learn how to win again.

My money is on a young first time manage. We shall see

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be directly in response to what Elvis said.
I wonder if he considered it a fat joke with Elvis using the term "bunch of guys" to refer to just him. Lol.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he considered it a fat joke with Elvis using the term "bunch of guys" to refer to just him. Lol.

I am not going to lay it all on Willie Rakes who had a tough year. Team has to learn how to win again. Smart situational baseball. Perhaps injury to Mazara slowed him down. Same for DDJ who may be on a short leash. Elvis had an off year himself.

If we have good starting pitching and this team is not an over 500 team then that is a gut check.

Two position players who stepped up IMO are Profar and IKF.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson had the entire quote.

“We have a bunch of young guys, and sometimes all they are thinking about is how to stay in the big leagues. That gets you away from helping the team on a daily basis. Everybody goes through it. A bunch of guys have two or three years in the league. If you have two or three years, by now you have to figure it out.”

That doesn't point toward Calhoun at all. He doesn't have two tor three years in the league.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to lay it all on Willie Rakes who had a tough year. Team has to learn how to win again. Smart situational baseball. Perhaps injury to Mazara slowed him down. Same for DDJ who may be on a short leash. Elvis had an off year himself.

If we have good starting pitching and this team is not an over 500 team then that is a gut check.

Two position players who stepped up IMO are Profar and IKF.
I think Guzman stepped up when you consider it was his rookie year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson's comments on what Elvis said:

Besides not calling out any specific players, Andrus also left unsaid if the mind-set that developed in the younger players was the result of the communication issues that ended up costing former manager Jeff Banister his job.

Players who are fearful of losing their jobs or being sent to the minors might play tentatively instead of doing the things that brought them to the major leagues in the first place.

Andrus’ point is that those players have established themselves as part of the future and instead of looking over their shoulders need to begin doing the things necessary to win ballgames.

That will help complete their development.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, whether Elvis is right or not is a whole different story.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson had the entire quote.

“We have a bunch of young guys, and sometimes all they are thinking about is how to stay in the big leagues. That gets you away from helping the team on a daily basis. Everybody goes through it. A bunch of guys have two or three years in the league. If you have two or three years, by now you have to figure it out.”

That doesn't point toward Calhoun at all. He doesn't have two tor three years in the league.
I think Willie better be concerned. Not much room for him as it looks today.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Willie better be concerned. Not much room for him as it looks today.
They all should be concerned. Willie's situation is not good for him because this team failed to unload Choo and not because he was given a legitimate shot and failed at the big league level. His situation is an organizational failure and not an individual one in my estimation.

His situation was not what Elvis was addressing in the quote I gave though. Not at all, now that we have the entire quote to go by.