• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas gets another coach a raise

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many coaches getting raises? Man o man, it's the biggest cash haul for coaches in a long time. And that Sexton guy, he's cashing checks too.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what i have read only Briles, Strong and Franklin are left on the list. I dont see Vandy coming up with big money to keep Franklin as football is not their main focus. Strong has said he is not interested, but that might have been "coach speak" on his part. Briles might not jump as he seems happy there and he is 58 currently, thats only 4 years younger than Mack, so he would not be a long term solution.

My guess is the list expands or they view Franklin as the front runner due to several factors, his age, his drive, his ability to recruit at a place like Vandy and Strong's comments that he is not interested. Add in that Franklin is on a few teams radar and that makes Texas needing to jump quickly an imperative if they consider him a strong candidate.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has never said one thing officially about whom they are after.

It has all been pure and rampant speculation.

I am starting to think it is the agents themselves who start the rumors.

This is a function of agents taking advantage of paranoid athletic directors.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem Texas having a coaching opening is the best thing that has happened to coaching salaries in a long time. I will be glad when this is all over with. I'm sure athletic directors will be too. I'm starting to believe the coaches that have no comment are angling for a raise and those saying I have no interest are the ones who might take the job. One answer helps you get a raise and the other doesn't really help. And who doesn't want a raise?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what i have read only Briles, Strong and Franklin are left on the list. I dont see Vandy coming up with big money to keep Franklin as football is not their main focus. Strong has said he is not interested, but that might have been "coach speak" on his part. Briles might not jump as he seems happy there and he is 58 currently, thats only 4 years younger than Mack, so he would not be a long term solution.

My guess is the list expands or they view Franklin as the front runner due to several factors, his age, his drive, his ability to recruit at a place like Vandy and Strong's comments that he is not interested. Add in that Franklin is on a few teams radar and that makes Texas needing to jump quickly an imperative if they consider him a strong candidate.

Rumor is Penn State is looking at Franklin and several ACC schools are nervous thinking he will cut into their recruiting territory.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has never said one thing officially about whom they are after.

It has all been pure and rampant speculation.

I am starting to think it is the agents themselves who start the rumors.

This is a function of agents taking advantage of paranoid athletic directors.
They have said they want a coach by mid January and it isn't rocket science to put a list together. You have to be an idiot like a Jay Jacobs to hire someone off the radar like a Gene Chizik.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is Penn State is looking at Franklin and several ACC schools are nervous thinking he will cut into their recruiting territory.

Thats why i said Texas needs to move fast on him if he is considered a serious candidate for the job. PSU will anty up money, they do have a big fanbase, its not hard to recruit to PSU(even in light of the recent past) and they do have a pretty loyal, rabid fanbase.

Of the names mentioned(by whoever) Franklin seems to have the most upside due to his recruiting, his age, his ability to excite a fanbase, his personal drive to be the best coach he can be and his attention to the details. I do like the guy and feel his will be a success for years to come. Question is does he fit the mold of what UT is looking for and will they jump soon enough with this committee they apparently have in place to find the right guy?

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is taking their sweet time on this. Maybe a few of their top candidates have said no.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF I'm Texas...I'm "throwin a lotta of marbles" @ Charlie Strong here!

It's a personal opinion and based mainly on the people I know that have met him (to a person they have been exceptionally impressed) but I go with Franklin and budget big money for assistants.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is taking their sweet time on this. Maybe a few of their top candidates have said no.
It is a dead period.
There is no rush to hire a coach during a dead period.

The NCAA changed their guidelines about dead periods, extended it, and made it perfectly clear that sanctions would be draconian for any foolishness during this dead period.

That was one of their primary warning to everyone in amateur athletics for 2013-2014.
Don't do anything even remotely stupid during a dead period or SMU sanctions will look like a slap on the wrist.

Texas or whomever expresses interest could get into a lot of trouble if they screw around during a dead period. Texas would jeopardize the entire program if they acted too quickly now.
A coach would jeopardize his career as well during a dead period.

It is smart to announce a specific (1/15) date for all parties involved after the dead period ends.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Saban signed his contract yet?

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Mike Gundy is working to get an extra million or so, insinuating that Texas is working to get ahold of him.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No raise for coach Hoke?