• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Fires DC Manny Diaz

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go get "Lumpy" from Washington State.

I can make it to the gate in 2.6 seconds....can you?

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I tend to think poor tackling is the result of players not knowing the system and their roles. These kids have been tackling since 5-6th grade. There is not a ton of tackling in practice anymore. Good tackling is more a function of good positioning than teaching tackling fundamentals

Coda,
You are one of the few longhorns that I have any respect for (sometimes), but I have to disagree with you on this. You are right about tackling, its fundamental and one of the (if not the) first things taught to kids. At no level of coaching were the Texas players taught that arm tackles work. The Texas defenders don't square up, lead with the sholder, wrap-up and drive through the ball carrier. Saturday night, and on other ocassions, that is all they did. Hills and the BYU RBs simply ran out of the arm tackles. I can remember 1 actual hit from a Texas defender in that game and it stopped the BYU RB short of the 1st down and BYU kicked a FG. You can have the best DC on the planet but until the the Texas defense decided to actually hit people and to wrap up, you are going to see the longhorns get abused.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coda,
You are one of the few longhorns that I have any respect for (sometimes), but I have to disagree with you on this. You are right about tackling, its fundamental and one of the (if not the) first things taught to kids. At no level of coaching were the Texas players taught that arm tackles work. The Texas defenders don't square up, lead with the sholder, wrap-up and drive through the ball carrier. Saturday night, and on other ocassions, that is all they did. Hills and the BYU RBs simply ran out of the arm tackles. I can remember 1 actual hit from a Texas defender in that game and it stopped the BYU RB short of the 1st down and BYU kicked a FG. You can have the best DC on the planet but until the the Texas defense decided to actually hit people and to wrap up, you are going to see the longhorns get abused.
-
Not saying that tackling is good at Texas, but simply the main culprit is positioning. Most arm tackles are the result of slow reads from LBs, that result in them "reaching" for RBs or diving at players. I actually thought positioning and missed assignments were 80% of the rushing yards. How many times did the DE crash on the Rb and the LBs followed, as the QB went around the OT for a big gain. It was so bad that in my opinion BYU rushes for at least 300 yards if it was a 2 hand touch game. At this pt I am more concerned with filing gaps than wrapping up.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
l.gif

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Anyone that watched the game and thinks Ash was the reason Texas lost is an utter moron.

Ah, you think I'm talking about just for this game. Makes sense :L

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, you think I'm talking about just for this game. Makes sense :L
-
anyone watching since 2012 season that thinks Ash is the problem is a twit. Does that make you feel better?

scuttlebutt

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,350.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess fighting off my Aggies in first game took too much out of them.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
anyone watching since 2012 season that thinks Ash is the problem is a twit. Does that make you feel better?

Ash playing at all, while stud QB's that wanted to play for Texas are tearing it up for other teams, is my point. Nothing makes me feel better than remembering that awesome BYU game sat night. Followed up by a Cowboy win and stomping my old boss in FF...nah, I feel fine. Don't need you to say anything to "make me feel better".

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Not saying that tackling is good at Texas, but simply the main culprit is positioning. Most arm tackles are the result of slow reads from LBs, that result in them "reaching" for RBs or diving at players. I actually thought positioning and missed assignments were 80% of the rushing yards. How many times did the DE crash on the Rb and the LBs followed, as the QB went around the OT for a big gain. It was so bad that in my opinion BYU rushes for at least 300 yards if it was a 2 hand touch game. At this pt I am more concerned with filing gaps than wrapping up.

They were in position enough to get a hand on the ball carrier but not to stop them? The Texas defense is soft and doesn't want to get in there and be physical. A lot of the rushing yards were after ccontact. That's not about position, that's not having heart.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ash playing at all, while stud QB's that wanted to play for Texas are tearing it up for other teams, is my point. Nothing makes me feel better than remembering that awesome BYU game sat night. Followed up by a Cowboy win and stomping my old boss in FF...nah, I feel fine. Don't need you to say anything to "make me feel better".
-
So basically you agree that Ash is not the problem and would like to now deflect from your original comment. If you are going to troll, please be more intelligent about it in the future. I would like to thank you in advance for your attention to this detail

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
So basically you agree that Ash is not the problem and would like to now deflect from your original comment. If you are going to troll, please be more intelligent about it in the future. I would like to thank you in advance for your attention to this detail

Not deflecting at all. Ash is part of the team. The entire team is the problem. The lack of talent evaluation is the problem. The lack of talent development is the problem.

There isn't one thing you can point to as "the" problem. If you are going to be an obtuse dolt, please STFU.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were in position enough to get a hand on the ball carrier but not to stop them? The Texas defense is soft and doesn't want to get in there and be physical. A lot of the rushing yards were after ccontact. That's not about position, that's not having heart.
-
I wont argue that Texas is soft. I have been complaining about that for quite sometime. I will argue that gettign a hand or diving at a ball carrier is not the same as meeting a carrier in the hole. MLB play at TExas the last 2 yrs has been some of the worst I have ever seen. Footwork is terrible. A Phillips is a brutal tackling safety. What the highlights (you shouldenjoy that) and see where guys are when tackles are missed. Bet you will come back and say that most of the time guys are lunging out at ball carriers, because they are a step behind in their reads or are trying to compensate for poor angles

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not deflecting at all. Ash is part of the team. The entire team is the problem. The lack of talent evaluation is the problem. The lack of talent development is the problem.

There isn't one thing you can point to as "the" problem. If you are going to be an obtuse dolt, please STFU.
-
Somebody needs a hug.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not really a point. WHICH QBs are you referring to? This is a very simplistic, and WRONG, assumption you are making.

1) it assumes that Texas had a realistic opportunity to get those players
2) it assumes those players fit the Texas system
3) it assumes Texas did not already have players at that position recruited
4) it assumes EVERYONE KNEW these players were "studs" to begin with

EVERY. SINGLE. SCHOOL. has players that went elsewhere doing well. It's really the argument of someone that either doesn't want to critically look at the real issues or is simply trying to hate. Players come, players go......you have to win with what you have.

David Ash is not the problem, he's playing well enough for Texas to win. The OL in front of him is another story. The defensive schemes/playcalling is another story. The COACHING is a problem. Texas will STILL send players to the NFL in the first 3 rounds on both sides of the ball.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not really a point. WHICH QBs are you referring to? This is a very simplistic, and WRONG, assumption you are making.

1) it assumes that Texas had a realistic opportunity to get those players
2) it assumes those players fit the Texas system
3) it assumes Texas did not already have players at that position recruited
4) it assumes EVERYONE KNEW these players were "studs" to begin with

EVERY. SINGLE. SCHOOL. has players that went elsewhere doing well. It's really the argument of someone that either doesn't want to critically look at the real issues or is simply trying to hate. Players come, players go......you have to win with what you have.

David Ash is not the problem, he's playing well enough for Texas to win. The OL in front of him is another story. The defensive schemes/playcalling is another story. The COACHING is a problem. Texas will STILL send players to the NFL in the first 3 rounds on both sides of the ball.

The FSU kid and Manziel both wanted to play at Texas, so #1 is take care of. #2 might just mean your coach has the wrong system, because it didn't work last weekend. #3 is my point in that you would rather have Ash than those two, and don't tell me Mack has never played an underclassman recruit over a veteran of the team. #4 it isn't EVERYONE's job to evaluate the talent level of the players.

Every single school does have players go elsewhere. My point is that Texas has two that wanted very badly to be your starting QB, instead you have a scrub in there while the other two are destroying teams.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lel, now THAT is a deflection.
-
I try not to have discussion with people that are illogical and start cursing when you poke holes in their statements. If you wan to take a deep breathe, relax, and have an adult conversation I am here for you.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FSU kid and Manziel both wanted to play at Texas, so #1 is take care of. #2 might just mean your coach has the wrong system, because it didn't work last weekend. #3 is my point in that you would rather have Ash than those two, and don't tell me Mack has never played an underclassman recruit over a veteran of the team. #4 it isn't EVERYONE's job to evaluate the talent level of the players.

Every single school does have players go elsewhere. My point is that Texas has two that wanted very badly to be your starting QB, instead you have a scrub in there while the other two are destroying teams.

Winston CLAIMS he wanted to, but no one in his camp agrees he would have come to Texas. They DID call him.

Manziel wasn't highly recruited by ANYONE. NOBODY thought he was going to be as good as he is, AND he had trouble with the law at the time. Don't engage in revisionist history here.

His system is his system, and players have to be able to play in it. Ash put up fine numbers. His OL did him no favors. That's not a system issue.

Its not that we would rather have Ash.....but Ash is the QB of this team for the time being. There are NO guarantees any other kid would have beat him out in camp, none. We already have 4 QBs on the roster, why would we recruit more?

EVERYONE can't be wrong on every player. You act like the entire world knew certain non-highly recruited players were going to be Heisman winners, and that's not the case. Hell I don't even think Sherman recruited Manziel, he kind of landed in his lap. Don't act like they went hard after him.