• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Fires DC Manny Diaz

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Ash is not the biggest problem right now.

Does that sound better?

This is the truth. However, focusing on who they DON'T have is pointless. It also ignores who they did get, and why they didn't pursue those players.

Manziel is obvious......nobody went after him in the state, he had legal issues, and Texas was bringing in one of the top national prospects in Connor Brewer. But according to some here, they should have magically known a 3 star recruit with issues was going to pan out above a 5 star national prospect. This is just faulty thinking.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the truth. However, focusing on who they DON'T have is pointless. It also ignores who they did get, and why they didn't pursue those players.

Manziel is obvious......nobody went after him in the state, he had legal issues, and Texas was bringing in one of the top national prospects in Connor Brewer. But according to some here, they should have magically known a 3 star recruit with issues was going to pan out above a 5 star national prospect. This is just faulty thinking.

I'll give you Manziel but Texas has missed on some good QB's lately.They have just about had their pick of the litter after VY & Colt. Gilbert was a bust and Texas didn't have a plan B. It looks promising with Over street and Swoops but by not having a contingency plan in case GG and now Ash don't live up to expectation is poor planning.

If you want to say that they did have other QBs on the roster in case the starters don't pan out, then the scouting dept. Is a complete failure.

So, make a choice is it piss poor planning or talent evaluation?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you Manziel but Texas has missed on some good QB's lately.They have just about had their pick of the litter after VY & Colt. Gilbert was a bust and Texas didn't have a plan B. It looks promising with Over street and Swoops but by not having a contingency plan in case GG and now Ash don't live up to expectation is poor planning.

If you want to say that they did have other QBs on the roster in case the starters don't pan out, then the scouting dept. Is a complete failure.

-
To be fair Texas HAD to take Gilbert. There really was no choice. 5 star QB and Gatoraide player of the yr playing HS football in a suburb of Austin. If someone else grabbed him the meltdown would have been epic.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wrong, Texas DID have a plan B. Connor Brewer, Connor Wood, David Ash, Jalen Overstreet.......Wood and Brewer both transferred because they weren't good enough to beat out Ash in practice.

Like I said, you guys are missing key points here.

You don't blame a bad meal on the ingredients, you blame the chef.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong, Texas DID have a plan B. Connor Brewer, Connor Wood, David Ash, Jalen Overstreet.......Wood and Brewer both transferred because they weren't good enough to beat out Ash in practice.

Like I said, you guys are missing key points here.

You don't blame a bad meal on the ingredients, you blame the chef.

Your telling me that is the best Texas could do? Out of ALL of the quality QBs that Texas could have recruited, David Ash is the absolute best. I'm not saying Ash is terrible, but he doesn't live up to Texas standards - you can't deny that. How does a a program like Texas not manage to bring in better talent than that.

Your analogy is good. You don't the ingredients but there is another saying that says "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit". Someone went shopping for those ingredients and failed miserably.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your telling me that is the best Texas could do? Out of ALL of the quality QBs that Texas could have recruited, David Ash is the absolute best. I'm not saying Ash is terrible, but he doesn't live up to Texas standards - you can't deny that. How does a a program like Texas not manage to bring in better talent than that.

Your analogy is good. You don't the ingredients but there is another saying that says "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit". Someone went shopping for those ingredients and failed miserably.

But you can mix a bunch of stuff with chicken shit and call it chicken salad.
:lol:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ash is the best in terms of knowing the offense, and there's no guarantee anyone would beat him out.

The 5 star QBs we recruited transferred because they didn't want to compete. Its not like Texas planned to be here.

That said, Ash is really not an issue with our offense. Those of you that think he's a bum don't watch him play game in and game out with no real OL in front of him.

As far as the chicken shit comment goes, Texas will put a lot of that shit in the NFL.

It's not the ingredients. Its the chef/chefs. They ALL need to be fired/retire/be gone.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean all 3 players that were drafted?

I'm talking this year. Last year we had a team of sophmores, we only had 4 or 5 draft eligible players. Hell the next 3 years as well.

The entire secondary will likely get drafted, a few of the DL.....maybe some of the WRs. The RBs will get their shot as well.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Mack has been letting the recruiting services evaluate players instead of doing it themselves from the discussion here.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Mack has been letting the recruiting services evaluate players instead of doing it themselves from the discussion here.

I would call you a liar and a troll for that comment, if Mack had not admitted to doing just that in a press conference

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anybody was expecting the Gatorade National Player of the Year, all time leading passer in Texas High School football history and 5 star recruit (Garrett Gilbert) to be a complete bust and suck so bad, especially after he came in the BCS title game and almost beat Bama. Ash and McCoy were recruited to back up GG, not to start. Name one coach in the country that has been able to recruit back to back 5 star QB's; it doesn't happen. GG set the QB position back a couple of years. Connor Wood and Connor Brewer were also a pair of highly recruited QB's in the nation that Mack recruited, but neither one could beat out David Ash for the starting QB job and both have transferred since. Manziel wasn't highly recruited and was going to Oregon to be a backup. From what I understand, when he decided he didn't want to go to Oregon, he was an ass hair away to sign with UTSA, until Sherman came in at the last minute with an offer. You guys just got lucky as fuck, period. The dude that transferred to UTEP was supposed to be your starter. Mack has proven he can recruit quality QB's; Sumlin hasn't.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
especially after he came in the BCS title game and almost beat Bama.

:laugh3:

It's funny when people don't realize what actually happened.

The guy threw for: 186 YDS, 2 TD, 4 INT, and yet you think he "almost beat bama"?

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody was expecting the Gatorade National Player of the Year, all time leading passer in Texas High School football history and 5 star recruit (Garrett Gilbert) to be a complete bust and suck so bad,

Rhett Bomar was also a 5* player of the year that was a bust. Maybe texas qb's are overrated?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

It's funny when people don't realize what actually happened.

The guy threw for: 186 YDS, 2 TD, 4 INT, and yet you think he "almost beat bama"?

He had the ball, down 3 points, with 6 minutes on the clock.

Maybe you don't realize what actually happened.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there has actually been talk of that happening in the past couple of years....

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had the ball, down 3 points, with 6 minutes on the clock.

Maybe you don't realize what actually happened.

Texas is able to amount a total of 15 points in the 3rd and 4th quarter. That's it. 7 in the 3rd and 8 in the 4th. That's your big comeback?

3rd quarter Alabama play calling.

1st drive: 1st down rush, 2nd down rush both for no gain. 3rd down 5 yard pass, punt.
2nd drive: 1st down rush, 2nd down rush, 3rd down rush, punt.
3rd drive: McElroy sacked, 5 yd rush, 4 yard pass, punt.

Seeing the pattern? Able to realize when a team shuts it down as to not embarrass you yet?

Texas scores, Alabama fumbles the kickoff, Texas gets the ball.

The entire 3rd quarter Alabama shut it down and didn't get a single first down. 3 total pass plays. Texas knew we were going to run it, and that's all we did to eat up clock.

4th quarter(1 play from 3rd).

1st drive: rush, rush(1st down), pass, pass, inteference penalty, rush(personal foul penalty on texas), rush, rush, pass, punt.

A few more passes now that Texas has scored this drive. Texas scores again and it's 24-21.

Even after that all Alabama does is rush the ball for the final 13 points, because Texas has given up after your so called hero QB fumbles and throws his 4th interception. And I mean not a single pass play. Yet Texas fans claim Alabama ran the score up?

So wow, grats on your 2 total drives while Alabama was running the ball over and over and punting it back to you. Saban likes Mack Brown and didn't want to embarrass him, it's that simple.

Thinking your kid did well after turning the ball over 5 times because he had 2 TD scores while the other team kept giving him the ball back is dumb. As proven by his continued failures the following season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rhett Bomar was also a 5* player of the year that was a bust. Maybe texas qb's are overrated?
-
Stupid post is stupid.

Twenty-five percent of NFL teams now start a quarterback who either played high school or college football in Texas -- sometimes both. Another 10 quarterbacks who played in Texas are NFL backups, one snap away from starting. And that doesn't include Carolina's Cam Newton, who spent one year of junior college in Texas.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Stupid post is stupid.

Twenty-five percent of NFL teams now start a quarterback who either played high school or college football in Texas -- sometimes both. Another 10 quarterbacks who played in Texas are NFL backups, one snap away from starting. And that doesn't include Carolina's Cam Newton, who spent one year of junior college in Texas.

Big state is big...