• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Texas comes home to face an old friend in Nelson Cruz.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many more starts do you think it takes before it can be said that Nick has proven the peripherals wrong as an indicator of his success?
Full season. You can have magical babip years. Look at Matt Harrison. He had two. But I don't like his odds if they keep making contact.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I don't hate the guy. I want him to do well, but I'm not gonna fall in love based on an amazing April.

I don't think the skepticism is misplaced at all, he still has work to do

A killer change-up would probably do wonders for his K numbers, make his mediocre fastball that much better

But just bc the peripheral indicators don't match also doesn't mean its total fools gold, he has substantially changed the way he approaches hitters

If he doesn't have command of his pitches at some point, he's going to get crushed at some point

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A killer change-up would probably do wonders for his K numbers, make his mediocre fastball that much better
But just bc the peripheral indicators don't match also doesn't mean its total fools gold, he has substantially changed the way he approaches hitters
When his slider is working he's a better pitcher, so I agree that would help.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full season. You can have magical babip years. Look at Matt Harrison. He had two. But I don't like his odds if they keep making contact.
To me it depends on the kind of contact that is being made. BABIP comparisons are only relevant if all contact is equal and it definitely isn't. To me there is something to be said for pitchers who pitch to contact and keep their fielders engaged as long as the ball isn't getting smoked on a regular basis. Kevin Brown had a couple of good years here early in his career pitching to contact.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I don't hate the guy. I want him to do well, but I'm not gonna fall in love based on an amazing April.
My optimism with him goes back to the last 2 months of last season and continues through now. It is more than just one month of progress. It is a 3 month journey thus far.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal reporting Hamilton turned down another deal to come back.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got home just in time for the presser.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he doesn't have command of his pitches at some point, he's going to get crushed at some point
Yes, most guys with only 28 starts in the big leagues have a lot of work to do. The fact that he has progressed this far in only 28 starts is the amazing part to me. It took guys like Verlander and Lee 100 starts or more before they started looking like what they did at their peaks. Derek Holland is another example of that. It is early enough in his career that we can expect him to make significant strides in his game.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit...he's gonna make me forgive him...That charming son of a bitch...

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope your not buying in just yet.
He's laying the verbal smack down on Arte Moreno and he's not taking shit from reporters. I have to say I am impressed with this presser so far.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels look so damn stupid...

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've listened to this guy sputter some bullshit in his career, and I have to say this sounded like the most honest and least bullshit Josh I've ever heard. I really hope for himself that for once he is finally being honest.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've listened to this guy sputter some bullshit in his career, and I have to say this sounded like the most honest and least bullshit Josh I've ever heard. I really hope for himself that for once he is finally being honest.

Kinda agree. He answered everything that was thrown his way. And the 1 reporter he snipped at -- was an Angels beat writer apparently.

I'm not sure what he's going to bring to the table -- but welcome home.