• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Texas comes home to face an old friend in Nelson Cruz.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is just not a smart ballplayer. Being thrown out at 3rd with 1 out and Fielder at the plate is just as idiotic as it comes.

And the very game before he steals 2nd, and then loses his concentration by taking his foot off the base.

This is his 5th year in MLB and he's making almost $5 mil. Time to grow up fella. Past time really.

Honestly though, he just doesn't seem like the sharpest knife and anything the coaches can do to assist him along those lines would probably be best.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long do you guys will think it will be before the national media starts paying attention to Nick Martinez? The kid has really been something. I was one of the biggest proponents of giving the kid a chance in the rotation this year, but he has shocked even me.
His peripherals are not good. He's due for some serious regression. His strike outs are too low.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His peripherals are not good. He's due for some serious regression. His strike outs are too low.
I was told that last year and yet he keeps putting this long string together. He was supposed to regress from last year according to some people and yet he improved instead. Could it be that those peripherals are not the best way to judge some pitchers?

Of course he is going to regress from his first few starts this year, but who wouldn't?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was told that last year and yet he keeps putting this long string together. He was supposed to regress from last year according to some people and yet he improved instead. Could it be that those peripherals are not the best way to judge some pitchers?

Of course he is going to regress from his first few starts this year, but who wouldn't?

I would prefer he keeps his ERA at 0.35. :heh:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the very game before he steals 2nd, and then loses his concentration by taking his foot off the base.

This is his 5th year in MLB and he's making almost $5 mil. Time to grow up fella. Past time really.

Honestly though, he just doesn't seem like the sharpest knife and anything the coaches can do to assist him along those lines would probably be best.
I thought his improvement through last year was impressive, but he certainly shouldn't regress this season or his days will be numbered. I thought he took too much criticism last season and before. I know this is his 5th season, but he didn't play that much in his first 2 seasons(54 total ABs). That being said, if he does regress this year I think his days as a starter here are numbered. Mr. Brinson's progress this year and next will go a long way in determining how long Leonys starts in CF for us.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's getting good results, but he's not exactly dominating. He doesn't have swing and miss stuff. Yesterday he was fortunate a few times when his command slipped. If Pujols' bat doesn't break he hits a 3 run homer. Enjoy the ride, because while it's fun to watch him pitch it cannot keep up at this rate for too long.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Tendler got 2 hits again today including his 5th HR.

Not sure if you noticed or not but Jose Trevino is right behind Tendler in average with 6 HRs and 17 RBIs.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's getting good results, but he's not exactly dominating. He doesn't have swing and miss stuff. Yesterday he was fortunate a few times when his command slipped. If Pujols' bat doesn't break he hits a 3 run homer. Enjoy the ride, because while it's fun to watch him pitch it cannot keep up at this rate for too long.
"At this rate" is the key. He could not keep those numbers up at this rate if he struck out one per inning either.

What kind of a regression do you have in mind? Do you think he is going to wind up with an ERA north of 4.00 by season's end?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought his improvement through last year was impressive, but he certainly shouldn't regress this season or his days will be numbered. I thought he took too much criticism last season and before. I know this is his 5th season, but he didn't play that much in his first 2 seasons(54 total ABs). That being said, if he does regress this year I think his days as a starter here are numbered. Mr. Brinson's progress this year and next will go a long way in determining how long Leonys starts in CF for us.

I think he's going to be fine; wll at least OK. But my concern for him is between his ears.

He loses focus so much - just in the last 3 games he's had 3/4 plays - and to me, take as much mental burden off this guys head as possible. I'm being serious, I honestly don't think thinking is his strong suit.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More strikeouts = more pitches = shorter outings

Typically anyways.

Except Martinez doesn't miss many bats. This means more fouled off pitches and longer at bats.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Martinez doesn't miss many bats. This means more fouled off pitches and longer at bats.
Where does he rank in number of pitches per inning?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember wishing Yu would get a few less strikeouts and last longer into games at times in the last couple of seasons.

Well, that's at least two of us.

Sincerely, it was a rub for me with Yu, in that, I thought he was more concerned with personal stats, doing it his way, and not as much toward getting wins and pitching longer into games.

But I gotta say, I've been more impressed with him, both mentally and physically, in the past year (counting right now) than originally. Perhaps I was too harsh in my judgement of him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ranks 12th in fewest pitches per plate appearances and is tied for 12th in fewest pitches per inning so his not missing bats is resulting in shorter at bats.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ranks 12th in fewest pitches per plate appearances and is tied for 12th in fewest pitches per inning so his not missing bats is resulting in shorter at bats.

Then why is he not pitching deeper into games?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK....never fucking mind.....see ya.