• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Texas comes home to face an old friend in Nelson Cruz.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are looking to hold someone accountable then look at JD. I hope he can rebound from the Choo abortion, but that one contract is fucking them in so many ways.

Choo's contract is not the reason the offense is sputtering. Obviously JD put Magadan in place, and I expect JD to remove him as well.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo's contract is not the reason the offense is sputtering. Obviously JD put Magadan in place, and I expect JD to remove him as well.

Are you so naive to think that this offense gets better with another guy as a hitting instructor? Oh instead of historically bad they will just be plain bad!!! This club won't be playing above their heads like the A's from 2012-14.

They might even out and go back to sucking at less insane levels, but it won't be because the guy they hire to critique their swing. I want them to fire Magadan now solely so I can laugh at the same complaints directed at the new guy.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? It was absolutely a way to save money on this season. Who said it wasn't? Production costs rise each year with inflation, so they got a cheaper Beltre for 2015 that they might be able to move if they want.
I never saw anyone agree with me at the time.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably wasn't posting much, but I agree. I don't think it's the only reason they did it, but they were able to save some money on this year's payroll.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably wasn't posting much, but I agree. I don't think it's the only reason they did it, but they were able to save some money on this year's payroll.

You talking Beltre or Magadan?

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you so naive to think that this offense gets better with another guy as a hitting instructor? Oh instead of historically bad they will just be plain bad!!! This club won't be playing above their heads like the A's from 2012-14.

I'm naive enough to think that there are decades worth of examples across all four major sports of coaches being fired because of how the team they were coaching performed. Does it make a difference? Sometimes. For better or worse. But it happens, and it happens for a reason.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm naive enough to think that there are decades worth of examples across all four major sports of coaches being fired because of how the team they were coaching performed. Does it make a difference? Sometimes. For better or worse. But it happens, and it happens for a reason.

Coaches usually get fired when good players under perform. If you think that is the case this year, then I don't know what to tell you.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always felt that in most cases the hitting coach makes very little difference but the pitching coach can have a big impact on results. But there are some cases where the hitting coach has made a nice impact to a ball club. The one that comes to my mind for the Rangers of course was Clint Hurdle. Those guys were willing to make changes including Kinsler changing his swing to hit line drives and Hamilton doing a toe tap. They finished 1st in hitting.

There was a system fostered by Hurdle for the 2010 Rangers. They used a model of 8 ways to collect a productive AB; Hit, walk, HBP or catcher's interference, SAC Fly, SAC bunt, advance lead runner with an out, advance lead runner with an error and 8 pitch AB. Their goal was to collect 17 productive plate appearances in a 9 inning game. And the motto was "let's find a way to get there every game". THEY HAD A PLAN. The question is do we or do we just talk about what a hitter should do.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. A hitting instructor's salary is negligible when you consider the money they've paid to bring on other players they're paying to not even play at this point. Then they go and take on $3 mil/yr for josh. Yes, I know it's not hardly anything with regards to other players salaries, but my point is that Magadan's salary and the budget has jack shit to do with why he's still here.
Right as rain. They can pay him off and never miss a penny.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always felt that in most cases the hitting coach makes very little difference but the pitching coach can have a big impact on results. But there are some cases where the hitting coach has made a nice impact to a ball club. The one that comes to my mind for the Rangers of course was Clint Hurdle. Those guys were willing to make changes including Kinsler changing his swing to hit line drives and Hamilton doing a toe tap. They finished 1st in hitting.

There was a system fostered by Hurdle for the 2010 Rangers. They used a model of 8 ways to collect a productive AB; Hit, walk, HBP or catcher's interference, SAC Fly, SAC bunt, advance lead runner with an out, advance lead runner with an error and 8 pitch AB. Their goal was to collect 17 productive plate appearances in a 9 inning game. And the motto was "let's find a way to get there every game". THEY HAD A PLAN. The question is do we or do we just talk about what a hitter should do.
I loved Hurdle. Dude was a special kind of manager though.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right as rain. They can pay him off and never miss a penny.
It's part of the operating budget, but yeah that doesn't affect team payroll. Bob and Ray likely would not wanna just piss away money but they kinda already have...

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone buy off on Bennie's argument that the only reason he's still here is b/c the Rangers didn't want to spend money on a new instructor?

Besides Bennie, obviously, and he's been beating that drum again today.
Do not buy into that at all. Money is not the issue. If the FO wants a new instructor it will happen.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me thinks he gets a W tonight.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps you should have been paying more attention to the lack of disagreement instead of waiting for a pat on the back, I never saw much disagreement with that sentiment

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre's salary swap. They saved a couple million on him this year.

The discussion was about the Rangers keeping Magadan for budgetary reasons. I think that's ridiculous.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved Hurdle. Dude was a special kind of manager though.

Agree. He gets results. He got them in Colorado, with the Rangers and now in Pittsburgh with a team who had a losing record for 18 consecutive seasons.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The discussion was about the Rangers keeping Magadan for budgetary reasons. I think that's ridiculous.
It was about both. He said no one agreed with him on either point. I agreed that the Rangers were able to save money this year on Beltre and it was smart.