• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Texas comes home to face an old friend in Nelson Cruz.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was about both. He said no one agreed with him on either point. I agreed that the Rangers were able to save money this year on Beltre and it was smart.

Absolutely.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We just weren't lucky enough for Magadan to find another job even though the team gave him every chance to do so. I still think they didn't fire Magadan because they didn't want to pay him and the replacement hitting coach both. They budgeted so much for coaching and didn't want to bust that budget. Well, the team is paying for it now. Eventually at some point in the season maybe what is owed to Magadan for the remainder of the season will be low enough that they think they can eat the cost. Or they will simply be too embarrassed not to bring someone else in.

Benny ... I don't think that's so. They don't make that much ... at best their salary is about the same as league minimum. They are not union. According to these two links Rudy Jaramillo made $650k with CHC.

The Average Salary of a MLB Hitting Coach | eHow
How Much Do Major League Baseball Coaches Make? | Chron.com

So you keep Magadan around because you are afraid to bust the coaching budget while $14M Choo bats under .100?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This offense would suck just as much ass if Magadan did find another job. The echo chamber of "BOOOOO MAGS!!!!" is hilarious. This offense will fucking suck regardless of who the manager, hitting instructor, etc are, because the players doing the hitting aren't that good. Every day is bash Magadan day. You'd be saying the same shit if they brought someone else it, because when Robinson Chirinos is your 5th place hitter your team is gonna be abysmal at producing runs. IDK if people are refusing to accept that second part or not...I am telling you it will be a lot easier as a fan if you just accept that no matter who is in charge this team isn't gonna produce offense at a sustainable rate.

Rev ... If you get the accolades when hitters perform ... you get the blame when they don't. Magadan is a spare who was a failure in BOS before he was fired and came to TEX.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rev ... If you get the accolades when hitters perform ... you get the blame when they don't. Magadan is a spare who was a failure in BOS before he was fired and came to TEX.
Dave Magadan is a non sequitur. You're having the wrong talk if you focus on him.

That's the entire point I am trying to make. Get rid of him, and you will be posting the same stuff about the next guy. Thad didn't last very long either.

Mags has been here 2+ seasons and he's had two of the worst rosters to work with since the Rangers resurgence.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The coaching staff in general is largely irrelevant when there is a lack of talent on the 25 man. Casey Stengel wouldn't be winning games with these guys either. 6 of the team's 12 position players have no business being on an active 25 man roster.

Casey Stengel also managed the expansion 1962 NYM that went 40-120. TEX is on track to win 54.

2015 is a player development, administrative season. Winning MiLB games is not relevant to the job of player development. Ditto TEX this year.

The guys you note are place holders for guys who will be here either in 2016 or by 2017. You got to carry a UIF and a backup catcher ... neither are part of your strategic plan.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dave Magadan is a non sequitur. You're having the wrong talk if you focus on him.

That's the entire point I am trying to make. Get rid of him, and you will be posting the same stuff about the next guy. Thad didn't last very long either.

Mags has been here 2+ seasons and he's had two of the worst rosters to work with since the Rangers resurgence.

Magadan failed in BOS too.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casey Stengel also managed the expansion 1962 NYM that went 40-120. TEX is on track to win 54.

2015 is a player development, administrative season. Winning MiLB games is not relevant to the job of player development. Ditto TEX this year.

The guys you note are place holders for guys who will be here either in 2016 or by 2017. You got to carry a UIF and a backup catcher ... neither are part of your strategic plan.
Then you can't cry foul when the offense is at historically bad levels. Rangers have a roster made up of guys that don't belong in their role.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe there's a lot of truth to what you're saying, but I'm also looking at some bad results all the way across the board, with multiple players with the same problem. I ask, why has Choo's mechanics not been studied and adjustments been made? The video pointed out some pretty clear indications of at least partly why he has been so bad. What the hell happened to Roogie? How about Elvis? It looks to me like a bunch of hitters who are out thinking themselves, and ultimately don't know which way is up. When your 1-6 is Martin, Andrus, Fielder, Beltre, Moreland, and Choo you shouldn't be this bad.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe there's a lot of truth to what you're saying, but I'm also looking at some bad results all the way across the board, with multiple players with the same problem. I ask, why has Choo's mechanics not been studied and adjustments been made? The video pointed out some pretty clear indications of at least partly why he has been so bad. What the hell happened to Roogie? How about Elvis? It looks to me like a bunch of hitters who are out thinking themselves, and ultimately don't know which way is up. When your 1-6 is Martin, Andrus, Fielder, Beltre, Moreland, and Choo you shouldn't be this bad.
I am not defending Magadan. I just believe in treating the cause instead of the symptom. Scrap Magadan all day long. He's nothing special to me.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Banny gets tired of Emily's interviews

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. Anyone dumb enough to pull the trigger on that deal deserves Hamel's UCL exploding a month after the trade. I hope the Cardinals are dumb enough for that.

Yeah....they're long known for being a bunch of fucking loons. Just look at em now wallowing down there in.....wait....that's FIRST PLACE.

Of course you'll now play the "half-of-what-I-say-here" is not serious card.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely and while we are this bad what the heck is Magadan's responsibility? True enough we have a few who will not measure up as quickly as we would like but no excuse for 1-6 you mentioned.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not defending Magadan. I just believe in treating the cause instead of the symptom. Scrap Magadan all day long. He's nothing special to me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming everything on the guy. I'm just saying what we're seeing now is nothing new, and even though this lineup is nothing special, they're still underperforming in embarrassing fashion.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....they're long known for being a bunch of fucking loons. Just look at em now wallowing down there in.....wait....that's FIRST PLACE.

Of course you'll now play the "half-of-what-I-say-here" is not serious card.

They just lost a front end starter for the year. I hope they are desperate enough to try and replace Waino that they make a foolhardy trade for Hamels.

And it's pretty damn obvious when I'm being serious and when I am not.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely and while we are this bad what the heck is Magadan's responsibility? True enough we have a few who will not measure up as quickly as we would like but no excuse for 1-6 you mentioned.
That's a damn good question. Would be interesting to see what a day in the life of a hitting instructor is like. I would bet he is supposed to watch a lot of film and watch them during work outs, but what the hell do I know?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really understood why Coolbaugh never got a serious look as long term hitting coach.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit how big is that camera lens behind home plate?