• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas AD is absolutely right about athletic scholarships..

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eliminating the 3 year college requirement for the NFL would hurt the level of quality for BOTH CFB and the NFL

So you don't want the athletes to get paid while in school, but you also want them to wait 3 years before having the right to enter the NFL and earn a paycheck?

That's why the system is broken.

Clowney is the perfect example of this.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no other arena in commerce or life do we think a monopoly where the primary participants don't even have a right to share in the profits or even retain rights to their own damn image [for fuck's sake] is a good thing.

You "well, they can leave then" idiots are truly dunces.

YEAH!!! Cause a FREE 4 year college education is not that big a deal........

:L

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no other arena in commerce or life do we think a monopoly where the primary participants don't even have a right to share in the profits or even retain rights to their own damn image [for fuck's sake] is a good thing.

You "well, they can leave then" idiots are truly dunces.

Have you ever had a job?

Stewie_2d7d19_1189759.gif

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEAH!!! Cause a FREE 4 year college education is not that big a deal........

:L

If it is a dictated payment from a monopoly, it's bad. It's unAmerican. It's stupid. IN NO OTHER ARENA is this even a non-laughable argument.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should they be forced to do that when they are making millions and millions of dollars for the school while the average student is making nothing for the school?

That's what's not fair.

How are they making millions?

Doesn't matter the name or the player, fans will roll into college stadiums because of their love for their alma mater and their state/region pride.

Outside of guys like Manziel, Clowney, Tebow and others, 99% of fans are there to support their school. The 'greats' merely add another notch of fandom.

Did I love my team more because Tommie Frazier was awesome? No. Did more people attend due to Tommie Frazier? No.

The individual player is rather meaningless. Especially for a short 2 to 3, and at most 4 year period.

Pay the players, and I'd be pretty damn sure that pride for the fans alma mater starts to dwindle. Especially for the vast majority of fans that fill that stadium each and every Saturday. They are no longer playing for your school and your pride. They are playing for themselves.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever had a job?

Stewie_2d7d19_1189759.gif

Have you ever had a job in a monopoly where you're dictated a base salary and have no other place to take your talents?

No, you haven't... because we don't allow monopolies like that... because it's not free market.. it's unAmerican... it's bad economics... crystallized for you, dunce: it's unfair and wrong.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't matter the name or the player, fans will roll into college stadiums because of their love for their alma mater and their state/region pride.

Outside of guys like Manziel, Clowney, Tebow and others, 99% of fans are there to support their school. The 'greats' merely add another notch of fandom.

Did I love my team more because Tommie Frazier was awesome? No. Did more people attend due to Tommie Frazier? No.

The individual player is rather meaningless. Especially for a short 2 to 3, and at most 4 year period.

Pay the players, and I'd be pretty damn sure that pride for the fans alma mater starts to dwindle. Especially for the vast majority of fans that fill that stadium each and every Saturday. They are no longer playing for your school and your pride. They are playing for themselves.

that angle "its ALL about the school" doesnt hold any water... HOW MUCH MONEY IS BAMA making of its recent success? HOW MUCH money did texas am make of johnny football?

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when it comes to Football, the players are forced to attend college because of the restrictions on entering the Draft. Attending college is the only way they can hope of being in the NFL.

Basketball, admittedly is a little different. The players can choose to play overseas if they want instead of attending college.

So what you are saying is there is a benefit for them to come to the school, and that is why they go to the schools.

But it's not the only way they can hope of being in the NFL. They can go and spend a ton of money on full time trainers, they can go buy coaches to teach them things, and then they can enter the draft/combine after 3 years. You just don't see people doing that because going to college for a free education and all that other stuff for free, and having name recognition to carry a 1st round draft status and a large/fat contract is not even comparable in value.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
compared to the money some of the athletes COULD BE MAKING. NO!!!

could be making where?

If there was a place where they could get better market value, that place would exist already.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever had a job in a monopoly where you're dictated a base salary and have no other place to take your talents?

No, you haven't... because we don't allow monopolies like that... because it's not free market.. it's unAmerican... it's bad economics... crystallized for you, dunce: it's unfair and wrong.

well said. also your boss is paying you at a Market VALUE!!

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be making where?

If there was a place where they could get better market value, that place would exist already.

umm SOME OF THESE KIDS COULD MAKE MILLIONS in school. not sure im follow your angle

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some on here call the universities greedy yet want a free $80K education, room and board, and other perks normal students would never see AND on top of that wants more $$$.

Seems a little hypocritical. Another examlpe of the ever growing "entitlement society"

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck. Even pro baseball, a baffling monopoly protected by a Supreme Court ruling, had to give up the ghost and let the players form a strong union and bargain for their rights and pay... and that was decades ago.

you people are bafflingly dumb.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that angle "its ALL about the school" deosnt hold any water... HOW MUCH MONEY IS BAMA making of its recent success? HOW MUCH money did texas am make of johnny football?

Not making any money since the revenue generated is put back into other sports programs.

But you are referring to the increase in revenue since Saban arrived, then it's up a good bit. When a team is successful it always goes up, but if all the good players went to another league, who's the best will be with who's the best out of the players left. So that is pretty relative.

As a shot in the dark, I'd bet A&M joining the SEC was probably their biggest gain money wise in the past 2 years.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that angle "its ALL about the school" deosnt hold any water... HOW MUCH MONEY IS BAMA making of its recent success? HOW MUCH money did texas am make of johnny football?

Wasn't their a report saying TAMU only made $56K off jersey sales from ALL sports last year?

So, I guess the answer is....not that much.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
umm SOME OF THESE KIDS COULD MAKE MILLIONS in school. not sure im follow your angle

Without playing college football?

Are they going to make millions playing for the West Chattanooga Hillbillies?

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, my question has still not been answered. Why is not okay for athletes to try and make money from the highest bidder while in college?

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some on here call the universities greedy yet want a free $80K education, room and board, and other perks normal students would never see AND on top of that wants more $$$.

Seems a little hypocritical. Another examlpe of the ever growing "entitlement society"

its not free for the kid that took his talents to the school for football., however; if a athlete is worth for more than the scholarship he's getting then he should be allowed to benefit from it as well, not just the school.