• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas AD is absolutely right about athletic scholarships..

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN: Texas athletic director Steve Patterson, at the Big 12 forum in New York this past week, placed the full value of a Longhorn football scholarship at $69,000 per year -- tax-free. "If you add the taxes to that," Patterson said, "it puts you in about the top third of household incomes in the United States. If the fourth-string defensive lineman is getting the benefit of a top-third household income in the United States, I don't think they're doing all that poorly." Next year, add cost of attendance ($4,310 at Texas).

Assuming a person was in a modest tax bracket of 20%, that makes the taxable value of a scholarship at UT $86,250. Next year the taxable value will increase to $91,637. These values are assuming tax deductions a college kid likely wouldn't have so his/her tax bracket would be even higher which makes the value of the scholarship even greater.

And they are whining about needing another five grand a year because someone has been "exploiting them" by using their likenesses on video games? I say anyone who doesn't like getting "screwed by the man" by accepting an athletic scholarship should STFU and try getting through college like a regular student.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but but but the universities are making millions! how dare you bring facts and numbers into this!

but seriously... this isn't any different than the real world... employees (players) usually get paid fair wages, supervisors (coaches) get paid more, and the executiives (university/NCAA) cashes in big time

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it's true that these kids aren't in as bad of conditions as some people would like to think (Napier going hungry, for example), the argument that I side with is that the players deserve a piece of the revenue that they generate from the university.

Why couldn't the OP's reasoning be used to say that NFL players should be paid $100k a year?

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer to all of this is VERY simple:

If you don't like it, quit

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His numbers are inflated. In state tuition is $10,000. Most of their players are from Texas.

Room and board $10,000

Where's the other $50,000 coming from?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His numbers are inflated. In state tuition is $10,000. Most of their players are from Texas.

Room and board $10,000

Where's the other $50,000 coming from?

In state is only cheaper because taxes help pay for them and it's generally assumed that someone in state has paid(or parents have) taxes. It still has a value greater than what people pay in state.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it's true that these kids aren't in as bad of conditions as some people would like to think (Napier going hungry, for example), the argument that I side with is that the players deserve a piece of the revenue that they generate from the university.

Why couldn't the OP's reasoning be used to say that NFL players should be paid $100k a year?

Oh hell, I don't know. Maybe because college athletes are supposed to be amateurs or something? And a guy like Peyton Manning is a professional athlete? Something like that.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh hell, I don't know. Maybe because college athletes are supposed to be amateurs or something? And a guy like Peyton Manning is a professional athlete? Something like that.

EXACTLY!!!! Not so sure why this is so fucking difficult to understand. They are student/athletes, not professional athletes. And as somebody stated before, they aren't being exploited. You see this shit in the corporate world as well. CEO gets paid millions upon millions while the salespeople do all the hard work. No difference here. Should we pay the regular students who aren't on scholarship and are taking out loans to go to school, too? I mean, after all, these students actually graduate and will contribute back more than any CFB or basketball athlete ever will by donating to the university's endowment which makes the football program's income look like chump change. Can anybody tell me the last time an athlete has donated $20M-$100M back to his alma mater? Like somebody said before, if they don't fucking like it, don't sign the fucking scholarship. IT'S THAT FUCKING SIMPLE!!!!!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In state is only cheaper because taxes help pay for them and it's generally assumed that someone in state has paid(or parents have) taxes. It still has a value greater than what people pay in state.

Ok

Out of state tuition at Texas is $30,000. Room and board $10,000.

Where's the other $30,000 coming from?

His numbers are inflated.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN: Texas athletic director Steve Patterson, at the Big 12 forum in New York this past week, placed the full value of a Longhorn football scholarship at $69,000 per year -- tax-free. "If you add the taxes to that," Patterson said, "it puts you in about the top third of household incomes in the United States. If the fourth-string defensive lineman is getting the benefit of a top-third household income in the United States, I don't think they're doing all that poorly." Next year, add cost of attendance ($4,310 at Texas).

Assuming a person was in a modest tax bracket of 20%, that makes the taxable value of a scholarship at UT $86,250. Next year the taxable value will increase to $91,637. These values are assuming tax deductions a college kid likely wouldn't have so his/her tax bracket would be even higher which makes the value of the scholarship even greater.

And they are whining about needing another five grand a year because someone has been "exploiting them" by using their likenesses on video games? I say anyone who doesn't like getting "screwed by the man" by accepting an athletic scholarship should STFU and try getting through college like a regular student.

I absolutely could not agree more. He didn't even mention that you also factor in:

Free use of facilities;
Free training;
Free physical therapy;
Tutors;
Free gear;
And a free internship for a few years, which might make you a famous millionaire.

And they need more? I don't like it. Not at all.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok

:noidea:

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok

Training from some of the best coaches in football, nutrition guides, access to facilities, all that good stuff is what I'd assume.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok

I would add medical benefits if needed...

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the entire argument. Why are they supposed to be amateurs? They are playing the same game, albeit at a different level, as guys like Peyton Manning. I don't see the issue with them trying to get a greater piece of the revenue that they help to generate.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Training from some of the best coaches in football, nutrition guides, access to facilities, all that good stuff is what I'd assume.

Ok.

Employees and facilities that a student athlete uses that a typical student doesn't use.

There are 525 student athletes at the U of Texas that use those employees and facilities.

525 x $30,000 = $15,750,000 per year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they build a dining hall or something that regular students don't have access to, the student athletes aren't taking those facilities with them when they leave. How much does a nutritionist make $100,000/yr?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the entire argument. Why are they supposed to be amateurs? They are playing the same game, albeit at a different level, as guys like Peyton Manning. I don't see the issue with them trying to get a greater piece of the revenue that they help to generate.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? They are amateurs until they become pros. They aren't born fucking pros, dude. They get benefits out of all proportion to their fellow students who are not athletes. Don't make Gods of these people, OK? They are blessed with unique talents that permit them to enjoy the best of the best at their schools. Yes, they work for those benefits as they prepare and participate in athletic contests WHICH THEY HAVE CHOSEN THROUGH THEIR OWN FREE WILL. These people are not slaves, got it? And they aren't people who have any right, moral or legal, to demand high salaries for playing sports at an amateur level. They can always forgo the scholarships and attend school just like the other 99% do. Simple enough for you?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_ma9ktw1gSS1ronhn5o1_400.gif

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us would give anything to be a college football star.
The life and BMOC stuff is almost impossible to put a value on.

You get to live like royalty for four years. Girls who are 10 out of 10s are practically throwing themselves at you. Everyone wants to be your friend. You are the closest thing to a rock and roll god during your four years.

It is the real world. And that is important to everyone...being a celebrity...whether you deny it or not.

If you held an open tryout for the Texas Longhorns football team, 10,000 dudes would show up and gladly PAY MONEY to be part of the team....not ask for money....they would pay money

I would have gladly paid annual dues of a few grand to play for Texas.