• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas AD is absolutely right about athletic scholarships..

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us would give anything to be a college football star.
The life and BMOC stuff is almost impossible to put a value on.

You get to live like royalty for four years. Girls who are 10 out of 10s are practically throwing themselves at you. Everyone wants to be your friend. You are the closest thing to a rock and roll god during your four years.

It is the real world. And that is important to everyone...being a celebrity...whether you deny it or not.

If you held an open tryout for the Texas Longhorns football team, 10,000 dudes would show up and gladly PAY MONEY to be part of the team....not ask for money....they would pay money

I would have gladly paid annual dues of a few grand to play for Texas.

We are becoming more and more of a culture of entitlement - and much less one of earned and appreciated.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His numbers are inflated. In state tuition is $10,000. Most of their players are from Texas.

Room and board $10,000

Where's the other $50,000 coming from?

10k if taking a full course load.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so what about players not on scholarships. Do they get any consideration?

I realize it just means the schools would stop offering scholly's to everyone, but it's a question that will come up.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so what about players not on scholarships. Do they get any consideration?

I realize it just means the schools would stop offering scholly's to everyone, but it's a question that will come up.

Haven't checked the specific rules in a while. But, when I was there kids without scholly's were able to work if they wanted. Kids with scholly's could not (or at least were very limited). Also, the scholly ability is capitalism at its finest. The ones who stop offering stop competing.

The ones w/o a scholly still get all the other benefits: Training; facilities; therapy; equipment; food; tutors; etc...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't checked the specific rules in a while. But, when I was there kids without scholly's were able to work if they wanted. Kids with scholly's could not (or at least were very limited). Also, the scholly ability is capitalism at its finest. The ones who stop offering stop competing.

The ones w/o a scholly still get all the other benefits: Training; facilities; therapy; equipment; food; tutors; etc...

NO doubt it still is a great deal for the player w/o scholly, but if the AD is basing not getting paid on the value of the scholly then what about those not on them?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the room and board, don't they pay for apartments for some kids year round?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the room and board, don't they pay for apartments for some kids year round?

Yes, but that would still be considered a scholly, even though a partial one.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't get why these athletes get punished for taking money elsewhere.

Manziel, Pryor, Bush etc, etc. What's wrong with them wanting to get paid a little extra then their scholarship.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that's the point. You say the purpose of a University is education. So why put up the pretense that these guys are receiving an education in exchange for their labour when they're often getting their work done for them in bullshit courses just so they can continue to play for the school?
so "athletes are not special" so then why all of the special rules for them? Actors and musicians can have agents and be enrolled in school. Why not athletes? Actors and Musicians can get paid while in school, why not Athletes?
I think most people who want changes to the system would be fine with something that did away with the pretense that these guys are special and should have special rules that only seek to prohibit them from things all other students do. Let them sign shoe deals and let them get paid for their autographs and earn money just like any other

I don’t believe, nor does any reasonable economist believe, that this entire enterprise teeters upon the athletes staying amateur. It doesn’t. They say, well, if we pay the athletes we’ll have to cut other sports. Says who? Nobody says when they say, boy, you give the players more than a scholarship, you have to cut other sports. Nobody has to say if you pay Rick Pitino or Coach K and Bill Self $5 to $10 million, you’re not going to have other sports. Nobody says that. And the money keeps going up. We’re making more money, not less, and there’s not one economic theory that says that if you pay your employees, you’re automatically, it’s a zero sum game, you’re going to have less profit. - See more at: My full Q/A with Jay Bilas on pay-for-play: NCAA ?unwilling to do the right thing?; Advocates free market system | The Sherman Report

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't get why these athletes get punished for taking money elsewhere.

Manziel, Pryor, Bush etc, etc. What's wrong with them wanting to get paid a little extra then their scholarship.

How do you regulate what is and isn't reasonable?

Sure, a contract with Adidas or a video game would make sense to pay a player $20K or so. Where does it stop?

Do you allow a legit businessman in a college town to pay a player $50K for being a spokesperson for his local car dealership? Do you allow a legit businessman to pay a player $50K for mowing lawns during the summer?

Where do you draw the line? And if you don't, how is it fair for teams like Air Force, or Colorado State, or Vanderbilt in which players wouldn't make a nickel doing things to earn cash based upon their image.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being intentionally obtuse? They are amateurs until they become pros. They aren't born fucking pros, dude. They get benefits out of all proportion to their fellow students who are not athletes. Don't make Gods of these people, OK? They are blessed with unique talents that permit them to enjoy the best of the best at their schools. Yes, they work for those benefits as they prepare and participate in athletic contests WHICH THEY HAVE CHOSEN THROUGH THEIR OWN FREE WILL. These people are not slaves, got it? And they aren't people who have any right, moral or legal, to demand high salaries for playing sports at an amateur level. They can always forgo the scholarships and attend school just like the other 99% do. Simple enough for you?

So they shouldn't get paid because they are amateurs, and because they are amateurs they shouldn't get paid?

There is no logical reason why they need to be amateurs in the first place. Especially in regards to selling their own image.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, a contract with Adidas or a video game would make sense to pay a player $20K or so. Where does it stop?

Do you allow a legit businessman in a college town to pay a player $50K for being a spokesperson for his local car dealership? Do you allow a legit businessman to pay a player $50K for mowing lawns during the summer?

Where do you draw the line? And if you don't, how is it fair for teams like Air Force, or Colorado State, or Vanderbilt in which players wouldn't make a nickel doing things to earn cash based upon their image.

Why does it need to stop at any point?

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why does it need to stop? why are they treated different then other students?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us would give anything to be a college football star.
The life and BMOC stuff is almost impossible to put a value on.

You get to live like royalty for four years. Girls who are 10 out of 10s are practically throwing themselves at you. Everyone wants to be your friend. You are the closest thing to a rock and roll god during your four years.

It is the real world. And that is important to everyone...being a celebrity...whether you deny it or not.

If you held an open tryout for the Texas Longhorns football team, 10,000 dudes would show up and gladly PAY MONEY to be part of the team....not ask for money....they would pay money

I would have gladly paid annual dues of a few grand to play for Texas.

Yeah, and no one would watch cause 99.9% of those 10000 dudes would be terrible football players.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Nike starts paying only players that go to Oregon for "commercial endorsements", then I think you'll get it.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Capitalism and Free Market economy. Skip Bayless has it right. If a booster or business man is willing to shill out big bucks to anthlete to get him to play at his alma mater, why not.

Technically it is unconstitutional to restrict these athletes ability to make money elsewhere like they allow for regular students.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically it is unconstitutional to restrict these athletes ability to make money elsewhere like they allow for regular students.

Really? Please show me where that is in the constitution.

DFCF

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Nike starts paying only players that go to Oregon for "commercial endorsements", then I think you'll get it.

If phil knight wants to pay an athlete big bucks to attend Oregon, i don't see why that's bad? Im not talking about the universities paying players, i'm talking about outside sources for revenue for the players.

Nothing wrong with it, especially since the NCAA is a known incompetent and criminal organization that has been exploiting athletes for years and years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If phil knight wants to pay an athlete big bucks to attend Oregon, i don't see why that's bad? Im not talking about the universities paying players, i'm talking about outside sources for revenue for the players.

Nothing wrong with it, especially since the NCAA is a known incompetent and criminal organization that has been exploiting athletes for years and years.

^typical Cal fan