• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas AD is absolutely right about athletic scholarships..

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is nothing compared to the billions being made by the NCAA and the Universities themselves. They aren't being compensated for their proper market value.

Again why is it a problem if Manziel wants to sign helmets for a few bucks? Why is it bad that Reggie Bush wanted to get money and get his parents some luxuries? Terrelle Pryor selling stuff for tattoos? What's wrong with Neven Shapiro wanting to give Miami players extra dollars and a few nice cars?

Again, the athletes should be able to make a profit using their own likeness just like the NCAA and Universities do.

As someone else said. They should separate from the NCAA and the rules that every student athlete is governed by.

Get some investors together and start semi-pro football and basketball leagues where these guys can go play straight outta high school and get paid a salary based on agent negotiated wages. Those that make it to the NFL will eventually make big bucks. Those that don't can enter the workforce without a post high school education.

Problem solved.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is nothing compared to the billions being made by the NCAA and the Universities themselves. They aren't being compensated for their proper market value.

Again why is it a problem if Manziel wants to sign helmets for a few bucks? Why is it bad that Reggie Bush wanted to get money and get his parents some luxuries? Terrelle Pryor selling stuff for tattoos? What's wrong with Neven Shapiro wanting to give Miami players extra dollars and a few nice cars?

Again, the athletes should be able to make a profit using their own likeness just like the NCAA and Universities do.

The money the universities make is not profit. The money goes into the general AD and in many cases pays for other sports that aren't able to generate enough money to exist otherwise.

And to be honest - the players are not the reason they universities get the revenue they get. They are just players, they are replaced all the time. It's the university and team itself that people get behind, and it's the team that we all pay to see and look forward to every year. I do not care who the players are, I'm watching because of the team they play for. I of course like the players who play for my team/school, I hope they do well even after they play etc. I just hope we get good players and have a good team.

Which is why you don't see another pro league where players go into football right out of highschool making big money and being one of the nations most popular sports. If that was their "market value", then they would be able to make that "market value". It's not happening because at the end of the day, while we love the players who play for us, we are there for the team/school.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone else said. They should separate from the NCAA and the rules that every student athlete is governed by.

Get some investors together and start semi-pro football and basketball leagues where these guys can go play straight outta high school and get paid a salary based on agent negotiated wages. Those that make it to the NFL will eventually make big bucks. Those that don't can enter the workforce without a post high school education.

Problem solved.

That would work fine. They also need to get rid of the age restrictions for entering the NFL and NBA draft.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? The NCAA sanctions players for rules violations all the time? Johnny Manziel, Pryor, Bush, Mayo, Green, Bryant etc, etc. They aren't allowed to make money without them and the school being sanctioned and suspended.

You completely missed his point.

They can get as much money as they want and the NCAA has no right to stop or restrict them. And the NCAA doesn't.

The players are not forced into anything. Apparently they for some reason choose to do so.

The NCAA cannot restrict their earnings. The player restricts their own earnings by accepting a scholarship to play sports at a college. Don't play sports for a college, kid. Open your own business, get a job, work hard, and eventually get promoted to management. Take out student loans and go to night school.

Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? The NCAA sanctions players for rules violations all the time? Johnny Manziel, Pryor, Bush, Mayo, Green, Bryant etc, etc. They aren't allowed to make money without them and the school being sanctioned and suspended.

Nobody forces these kids to play these sports. They make a CHOICE to go to that school. They can sit out for 3 years if they just want to go to the NFL. They don't have to go to college.

Surely there must be some reason/benefit for them to go to the school like this.

You should quit getting your views off a cartoon.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money the universities make is not profit. The money goes into the general AD and in many cases pays for other sports that aren't able to generate enough money to exist otherwise.

And to be honest - the players are not the reason they universities get the revenue they get. They are just players, they are replaced all the time. It's the university and team itself that people get behind, and it's the team that we all pay to see and look forward to every year. I do not care who the players are, I'm watching because of the team they play for. I of course like the players who play for my team/school, I hope they do well even after they play etc. I just hope we get good players and have a good team.

Which is why you don't see another pro league where players go into football right out of highschool making big money and being one of the nations most popular sports. If that was their "market value", then they would be able to make that "market value". It's not happening because at the end of the day, while we love the players who play for us, we are there for the team/school.

Same with me. But at the end of the day, no players would equal no revenue for the school. The players are the one's who going out and putting in the time in practice and working out and in the film room, and then playing the games that we love to watch. Without them, there is no football or basketball. They are the one's ultimately generating the revenue to subsidize these non money making sports, and they should be compensated as such.

Again, that's why i have no problem with a highest bidder scenario for basketball and football players.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody forces these kids to play these sports. They make a CHOICE to go to that school. They can sit out for 3 years if they just want to go to the NFL. They don't have to go to college.

Surely there must be some reason/benefit for them to go to the school like this.

You should quit getting your views off a cartoon.

Well when it comes to Football, the players are forced to attend college because of the restrictions on entering the Draft. Attending college is the only way they can hope of being in the NFL.

Basketball, admittedly is a little different. The players can choose to play overseas if they want instead of attending college.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being intentionally obtuse? They are amateurs until they become pros. They aren't born fucking pros, dude. They get benefits out of all proportion to their fellow students who are not athletes. Don't make Gods of these people, OK? They are blessed with unique talents that permit them to enjoy the best of the best at their schools. Yes, they work for those benefits as they prepare and participate in athletic contests WHICH THEY HAVE CHOSEN THROUGH THEIR OWN FREE WILL. These people are not slaves, got it? And they aren't people who have any right, moral or legal, to demand high salaries for playing sports at an amateur level. They can always forgo the scholarships and attend school just like the other 99% do. Simple enough for you?

How exactly am I being obtuse? I think it is a valid point that they receive a piece of the profit that they help to generate. So seriously, can you answer why they have to be amateurs? Is it just an arbitrary decision, or is there sound reasoning behind it? Because from where I'm standing, it looks like the NCAA has profited from it a hell of a lot more than the athletes have.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said everytime this subject comes up. If the players want paid, then no more scholarships. Make them have to get student loans, grants and make them leave school 80K-100K in debt like any other student. That'll make them change their mind on this.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said everytime this subject comes up. If the players want paid, then no more scholarships. Make them have to get student loans, grants and make them leave school 80K-100K in debt like any other student. That'll make them change their mind on this.

Why should they be forced to do that when they are making millions and millions of dollars for the school while the average student is making nothing for the school?

That's what's not fair.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when it comes to Football, the players are forced to attend college because of the restrictions on entering the Draft. Attending college is the only way they can hope of being in the NFL.

Basketball, admittedly is a little different. The players can choose to play overseas if they want instead of attending college.

Hell, let them declare for the NFL when they are 18 or 19 years old. There are about a half dozen players in the last 2 decades that would even get drafted. The physicality of the league nearly requires a kid to be a man of 20 to 21 years old and completely and physically equipped to play at that level.

The other million high school players that think they are good enough can play ..., in Canada.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should they be forced to do that when they are making millions and millions of dollars for the school while the average student is making nothing for the school?

That's what's not fair.

Then they dont have to play.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, let them declare for the NFL when they are 18 or 19 years old. There are about a half dozen players in the last 2 decades that would even get drafted. The physicality of the league nearly requires a kid to be a man of 20 to 21 years old and completely and physically equipped to play at that level.

The other million high school players that think they are good enough can play ..., in Canada.

They should still be given that option if they want it. It would be a risk for them, but why not? If you don't pan out, that's your own fault.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should still be given that option if they want it. It would be a risk for them, but why not? If you don't pan out, that's your own fault.

Eliminating the 3 year waiting requirement for the NFL would hurt the level of quality for BOTH CFB and the NFL

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WHO REALLY NEEDS WHO?? why does there have to be either or?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no other arena in commerce or life do we think a monopoly where the primary participants don't even have a right to share in the profits or even retain rights to their own damn image [for fuck's sake] is a good thing.

You "well, they can leave then" idiots are truly dunces.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same with me. But at the end of the day, no players would equal no revenue for the school. The players are the one's who going out and putting in the time in practice and working out and in the film room, and then playing the games that we love to watch. Without them, there is no football or basketball. They are the one's ultimately generating the revenue to subsidize these non money making sports, and they should be compensated as such.

Again, that's why i have no problem with a highest bidder scenario for basketball and football players.

No, because people will gladly play without being paid. They are called walk-ons and they come every year in big numbers just hoping they might someday step foot on the field for a game.

We had a guy turn down scholarships from schools like UCLA and walk on at Alabama for QB last year. He transferred to Oregon St on scholarship this year.

You may want to believe the players make all that money for the school, but they don't really. As for those jersey sales? Yeah, a person who was already going to buy a jersey or wanted a jersey might pick the number of Manziel because he is a good player over a WR etc. But even if the guy was Johnny Nosepicker, he's still probably going to buy that exact same Jersey, because the choice to buy a jersey was already made.

Good players going to good program does make those programs better, but even you take all the good players and put them in another league, college football is STILL going to be the bigger money maker and by a large margin IF the other league could even compete.