• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas AD is absolutely right about athletic scholarships..

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hey, let's not pay these guys... then we'll call them 'amateurs'... then when they demand some of the money they work hard to generate, we can tell them they can't have any because they are amateurs."

think about how ravingly stupid your position is.

Million dollar coaches and staffs in a multi-billion dollar industry where participants are vying elitely and competitively to get to the big bucks... .that is in NO WAY amateurism..

Your stupid, purposeful mis-understanding and mis-representation of the concept of amateurism is blatant, transparent folly.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hey, let's not pay these guys... then we'll call them 'amateurs'... then when they demand some of the money they work hard to generate, we can tell them they can't have any because they are amateurs."

Million dollar coaches and staffs in a multi-billion dollar industry where participants are vying elitely and competitively to get to the big bucks... .that is in NO WAY amateurism..

Your stupid, purposeful mis-understanding and mis-representation of the concept of amateurism is blatant, transparent folly.

Wow, you have a severe case of sandy vagina

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually it is an UNPAID internship. I never hear people bitch about those. Why is that?

These kids are getting PLENTY in the form of compensation. And yes they ARE amateurs. Just like the Olympics used to be solely amateurs. They are not practicing their PAID profession. That is the difference between an amateur and professional athlete.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, because people will gladly play without being paid. They are called walk-ons and they come every year in big numbers just hoping they might someday step foot on the field for a game.

We had a guy turn down scholarships from schools like UCLA and walk on at Alabama for QB last year. He transferred to Oregon St on scholarship this year.

You may want to believe the players make all that money for the school, but they don't really. As for those jersey sales? Yeah, a person who was already going to buy a jersey or wanted a jersey might pick the number of Manziel because he is a good player over a WR etc. But even if the guy was Johnny Nosepicker, he's still probably going to buy that exact same Jersey, because the choice to buy a jersey was already made.

Good players going to good program does make those programs better, but even you take all the good players and put them in another league, college football is STILL going to be the bigger money maker and by a large margin IF the other league could even compete.

You really are trying to argue that Texas A&M would have sold the same amount of jerseys & merchandise without Manziel? And I'm not even sure what your point is at the end. Because the NCAA makes a shit ton of money, the players shouldn't be able to fight for greater compensation?

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it is an UNPAID internship. I never hear people bitch about those. Why is that?

These kids are getting PLENTY in the form of compensation. And yes they ARE amateurs. Just like the Olympics used to be solely amateurs. They are not practicing their PAID profession. That is the difference between an amateur and professional athlete.

They shouldn't be amateur athletes is my point. They should be treated like professionals.

And you guys have all missed my point. Im not talking about the school's themselves paying the athletes, because i actually agree. The schools can't afford to pay the athletes since they have to subsidize the other sports. I'm talking about them having the ability to generate income and revenue from outside sources without sanctions and suspensions from their schools and the NCAA.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capitalism and Free Market economy. Skip Bayless has it right. If a booster or business man is willing to shill out big bucks to anthlete to get him to play at his alma mater, why not.

Technically it is unconstitutional to restrict these athletes ability to make money elsewhere like they allow for regular students.

Not.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really are trying to argue that Texas A&M would have sold the same amount of jerseys & merchandise without Manziel? And I'm not even sure what your point is at the end. Because the NCAA makes a shit ton of money, the players shouldn't be able to fight for greater compensation?

Johnny Manziel jerseys hardly making Texas A&M rich - ESPN

What if I told you Texas A&M made just $59,690 on jersey sales for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2013?

That's correct. The Texas A&M athletic department received just $59,690 for jersey sales last year, Heisman Trophy winner and all. That number isn't just football, either. It includes basketball, baseball, cycling and all other jersey sales.
It's not my fault some of you guys just assume things which aren't true.

Teams do not make money off football.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They shouldn't be amateur athletes is my point. They should be treated like professionals.

And you guys have all missed my point. Im not talking about the school's themselves paying the athletes, because i actually agree. The schools can't afford to pay the athletes since they have to subsidize the other sports. I'm talking about them having the ability to generate income and revenue from outside sources without sanctions and suspensions from their schools and the NCAA.

Then they can't play college football, which is an amateur sport.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did not respond to your post, but OK. Yes the should be amateurs. Notice the name STUDENT/athlete. That is no different than the name of an athlete in high school. In both instances they are receiving education and training in said sport.

I have no problem with them being allowed to work a JOB in the off season. But no way in hell should they be allowed any more. Also your idea of them versus a regular student goes out the door considering most regular students are PAYING to go to said school. They were not recruited to go to said school.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the top third of households don't make all that much. Certainly not as much as someone that brings in TV viewers and ad revenue could lay claim to. But anyway.