• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas AD is absolutely right about athletic scholarships..

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't act like the Universities actually care about the athletes either. They only care about the money they are making off of the athletes. Same with the fans. Most fan's don't care about the players either, they care about bragging rights and being able to gloat and other things like that.

Again, what money are universities making off of athletes?

Roughly 20 schools are in the black with their entire Athletic Department budget.

And, yes, you make my point crystal clear by saying:

"Most fan's don't care about the players either, they care about bragging rights and being able to gloat and other things like that."

Take away the brand. Take away the school. And nobody gives a shit.

Joe 5* will be playing in New York in front of 2K fans and a $400 weekly paycheck.

This isn't the NFL in which a franchise will collapse because football is no longer played. These are universities of higher education in which Athletic Budgets are a mere pittance of their annual operating plan.

Without football, the NY Giants fold up shop.

Without football, the University of Michigan moves along with their $1.33 Billion dollar research enterprise.

One does not need the other.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please explain how division II has OTHER sports. besides this isnt about what is fair to other sports.

Alumi who go to these schools donate money to the AD.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And where do you think that revenue is coming from? It's coming from the football and basketball players.

And again, I'm not talking about the school's themselves paying the players, i talking about outside source of revenue beyond the school. What's wrong with that?

whats funny is an actor, artist, musician can make money of their talents while at school.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football and Basketball make revenue that is more than Hockey and Baseball and on par with the NBA.

Considering the tv contracts, gate revenue, revenue from bowl games, ncaa tournament, sponsorships etc etc.

Your delusional if you think that's not true.

The only one's not getting a slice of any of that pie is the Players themselves.

But what you fall to capture, yet again, is that the $$$ generated from CFB (which only 1/2 of Div 1 schools can claim) goes towards other sports to help them survive. For example, at Penn State, the millions made go to other sports like wrestling, mens and womens BB, volleyball....I could go on and on. If you start paying players, hundreds of sports programs acroos the country would fold....do you think thats fair?

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, what money are universities making off of athletes?

Roughly 20 schools are in the black with their entire Athletic Department budget.

And, yes, you make my point crystal clear by saying:

"Most fan's don't care about the players either, they care about bragging rights and being able to gloat and other things like that."

Take away the brand. Take away the school. And nobody gives a shit.

Joe 5* will be playing in New York in front of 2K fans and a $400 weekly paycheck.

This isn't the NFL in which a franchise will collapse because football is no longer played. These are universities of higher education in which Athletic Budgets are a mere pittance of their annual operating plan.

Without football, the NY Giants fold up shop.

Without football, the University of Michigan moves along with their $1.33 Billion dollar research enterprise.

One does not need the other.

schools cant afford it

even if thats the case that isn't the star athletes fault. school surely couldn't afford to pay coaches insane money right?

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't run football drills without players.

There is no shortage of players. In fact, they have to limit the number of players schools can have.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what you fall to capture, yet again, is that the $$$ generated from CFB (which only 1/2 of Div 1 schools can claim) goes towards other sports to help them survive. For example, at Penn State, the millions made go to other sports like wrestling, mens and womens BB, volleyball....I could go on and on. If you start paying players, hundreds of sports programs acroos the country would fold....do you think thats fair?

how does division II have other sports?

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You've missed my point. I never said the schools should pay the athletes, i said they should be able to take money from the highest bidder or whoever is willing to pay them, not the schools themselves.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've missed my point. I never said the schools should pay the athletes, i said they should be able to take money from the highest bidder or whoever is willing to pay them, not the schools themselves.

So we can watch the highest paid team win every year, and Texas fans talk about how they could spend the most if they wanted?

No thanks.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then recruiting becomes free agency and that will greatly damage CFB.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't playing amateur sport's especially considering how much money is involved and how much time they are forced to put in to their sports. It's on par with the professional leagues.

I was waiting for that.

So the NFL is fully funding which other non-revenue generating sports?

I'll wait.