• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tennessee Hype Machine In Full Mode

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean we are taking the word of a 17/18 year old kid as gospel. There are also things called ‘soft offers’ by schools. Really, offers and commitments are absolutely worthless until that ink hits the page AND it is faxed to the school.

Great time to point out, faxes are outdated as hell and it’s the one time of year the football team actually uses it.
ahh you mean the old Saban official offer for you to come test with us in Tuscaloosa, carpet bombings across the state of Texas?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahh you mean the old Saban official offer for you to come test with us in Tuscaloosa, carpet bombings across the state of Texas?
Texas? Bama hasn’t dominated because of their recruiting out of Texas. I haven’t done a ton of research and I’m shooting from the hip, but I’d argue their dominance in Georgia is why they have been so good.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas? Bama hasn’t dominated because of their recruiting out of Texas. I haven’t done a ton of research and I’m shooting from the hip, but I’d argue their dominance in Georgia is why they have been so good.
When did I say that they dominated Texas? Look at the "offers" in the state.. SABAN offers EVERYONE.. they just aren't committable ones, they are offers to come visit Tuscaloosa to test there, and if they like you they then will offer you. However kids post it as if it is..

They offered 34 players in texas in "official" ones in 2020..wonder how many more they offered with the not "official" ones?

Last edited:

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it too early to get excited/worried about your 2021 recruiting class?

9755770.jpg

Is an epic decommitment season coming across college football?

"Keep in mind that in these eight classes. there have been no recruiting visits, either by recruits to a college campus or by coaches to high schools to see prospects in person. Schools and prospects are flying blind compared to the normal process."
Some coaching staffs, particularly new staffs, are reluctant to take prospects site unseen because of the potential need to squeeze them out of a class could damage relationships in their states with power players and high school coaches. Many of those relationships have not yet been formed in-person due to the shutdown.

But many schools are willing to take them, even if it means having to drop them from their class later in the year

Normally, schools have in-person evaluations of prospects and verified height, weight, speed, and agility numbers at their disposal when deciding to take a commitment. This year, they do not.

Without summer camps and the spring evaluation period, there are a lot of players committed to schools who won’t stay committed to them in the fall.

Lot of missing data on HS recruits right now with not having Spring/Summer camps. Some schools are going ahead and giving offers, some are waiting. Classes are filling up and players feel the need to try to secure a spot. Once things get back to normal, expect players to get poached from other teams and at the same time teams will find out who they don't like once they finally get to evaluate and may pull their offer.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it too early to get excited/worried about your 2021 recruiting class?

9755770.jpg

Is an epic decommitment season coming across college football?

Lot of missing data on HS recruits right now with not having Spring/Summer camps. Some schools are going ahead and giving offers, some are waiting. Classes are filling up and players feel the need to try to secure a spot. Once things get back to normal, expect players to get poached from other teams and at the same time teams will find out who they don't like once they finally get to evaluate and may pull their offer.

No one knows.. but staffs better make sure it's evaluations are legit..recruiting services aren't gonna help you this cycle, that's for sure

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean we are taking the word of a 17/18 year old kid as gospel. There are also things called ‘soft offers’ by schools. Really, offers and commitments are absolutely worthless until that ink hits the page AND it is faxed to the school.

Great time to point out, faxes are outdated as hell and it’s the one time of year the football team actually uses it.
Is that kind of like telling a chick "I don't want to get married, I just want to sleep with you"?

In all seriousness and as you know, many 17/18 year olds are only "committed" to something until the next new shiny object shows up. But adults should be a hell of a lot more forthcoming. They should be up front with those kids and tell them you have a "soft offer" but we are looking to find someone better than you and will give them your offer if possible. If they are grown up enough to do it that way, then I tip my hat to them. If they are just leading them on, they are just a bunch of slimy users IMO.

Regarding the fax machines, why are those still the preferred way? My kids and grandkids rag the crap out of me about my lack of the understanding of electronic signatures.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that kind of like telling a chick "I don't want to get married, I just want to sleep with you"?

In all seriousness and as you know, many 17/18 year olds are only "committed" to something until the next new shiny object shows up. But adults should be a hell of a lot more forthcoming. They should be up front with those kids and tell them you have a "soft offer" but we are looking to find someone better than you and will give them your offer if possible. If they are grown up enough to do it that way, then I tip my hat to them. If they are just leading them on, they are just a bunch of slimy users IMO.

Regarding the fax machines, why are those still the preferred way? My kids and grandkids rag the crap out of me about my lack of the understanding of electronic signatures.
Fax machines are so worthless in present day.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing for a week what an incredible recruiting class of 2021 that UT is putting together and claims that in 3 years they are going to compete for the national championship. I was curious so I looked and what I found was:

21 total recruits
0 - 5 Stars
8 - 4 Stars
13 - 3 stars

So this early they only have 4 spots to fill (assuming kids don't de-commit which we all know some will) and they have zero 5 stars?

If these numbers hold they will probably be ranked at the end about 4th or 5th in the SEC and might be lucky enough to break the top 10 overall.

I'm not that impressed.

If Tennessee doesn't pimp their own shit, who would. They need to hype it, because manure like that doesn't spread itself.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing for a week what an incredible recruiting class of 2021 that UT is putting together and claims that in 3 years they are going to compete for the national championship. I was curious so I looked and what I found was:

21 total recruits
0 - 5 Stars
8 - 4 Stars
13 - 3 stars

So this early they only have 4 spots to fill (assuming kids don't de-commit which we all know some will) and they have zero 5 stars?

If these numbers hold they will probably be ranked at the end about 4th or 5th in the SEC and might be lucky enough to break the top 10 overall.

I'm not that impressed.
you must REALLY have a small weiner.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Pruitt and think the arrow is up for them but UT has been back as many times as Texas the last decade with less to show for it.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows.. but staffs better make sure it's evaluations are legit..recruiting services aren't gonna help you this cycle, that's for sure
I am really curious what is causing all the commitments. I think it could be one of a few factors, but we won’t truly know without a few years of data. It is either A. Kids are quick on the trigger because of the lack of opportunities to go to camps and visit campuses etc, so they are making decisions before fully understanding or caring because commitments have no value without the signature, B. This is the new norm and kids are finally realizing they may as well sign early which pushes up their decision by quite a few months, C. As I said previously this could be an outlier, and kids think if they commit sooner they will keep them as one of the 25 even if it is a soft offer.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really curious what is causing all the commitments. I think it could be one of a few factors, but we won’t truly know without a few years of data. It is either A. Kids are quick on the trigger because of the lack of opportunities to go to camps and visit campuses etc, so they are making decisions before fully understanding or caring because commitments have no value without the signature, B. This is the new norm and kids are finally realizing they may as well sign early which pushes up their decision by quite a few months, C. As I said previously this could be an outlier, and kids think if they commit sooner they will keep them as one of the 25 even if it is a soft offer.
Think both the schools and players have no idea what's going to happen with the 2020 season. So they want to get their spot now. Because let's say the worst case scenario happens and there is no fall season for either CFB or HSFB, are we really going to see flips or kids being processed out without a full spring, summer camps and a fall season? Especially if visits are still on hold?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added to Bartlett’s:

“I have a small high-quality wiener.”

- Wild Turkey
That describes every lil bro school in each state.. Auburn, aggy, sparty, south carolina..nebraska

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UT having a good signing class is like Vandy having one...who gives a shit?............still gonna get curb stomped 3-4 times........good times!........:suds:

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely happens that way. But, let me be sure I have this right. When a school "offers" they really aren't "committed" to that offer? It is an offer unless I can find a better player to offer it to. And when a kid "commits" to a school, they really aren't "committed"? It is a committment unless a better school gives me an offer. Do I have that correct?

If so, this whole "committment" thing is really just a big old pile of "I/we MIGHT agree to get together later", correct?

Or in high school terms, "I'll go with you (or take you) to the prom IF later on I don't get a better offer or you can't find a better looking date to ask."

Depends on how the school treats it. For most schools, that's how it works. Dabo is a little more hardcore. He commits to offers. He tells players to take their time deciding, but not to commit unless they're all-in. If a player commits, he won't recruit another at their position and doesn't oversign. And he won't allow players committed to Clemson to take visits elsewhere and nor will he let players committed elsewhere visit Clemson. That can be a good thing, but it can also be risky. Korey Foreman seemed like he loved Clemson (that giant tiger tattoo on his arm shows that). But I think his mom wanted him to tour other schools close to home, probably due to covid. Dabo told him he'd have to decommitment, and then offered other defensive ends his spot. I think that was pretty harsh given the circumstances (and because Foreman could be great - he'll probably suck if he goes to USC).

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
247 has them with two five star kids. But given they only have two top 100 recruits (the two five stars) it seems underwhelming. Not sure why they have them ranked as the #2 class but it's early. I'd personally take Clemson's class a million times over Tenn's. It's 1/2 the size right now, but they have 6 top 100 recruits.

That's the funny thing. Everyone is obsessed with recruiting rankings, but total rankings means nothing. Tennessee has a million 3 stars (they've signed two more since you posted this). Those guys probably wouldn't see the field at top programs (there are exceptions - Etienne and Simmons were both 3 stars). Tennessee is #16 in average ranking per recruit. That's what tracks success better usually. The average recruit top 10 is: Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Oregon, USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and UNC. That sounds about right to me. We'll see what happens with Tennessee at the end of the season (especially since they have a tough schedule - I'm guessing 6-6 or 7-5).

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how the school treats it. For most schools, that's how it works. Dabo is a little more hardcore. He commits to offers. He tells players to take their time deciding, but not to commit unless they're all-in. If a player commits, he won't recruit another at their position and doesn't oversign. And he won't allow players committed to Clemson to take visits elsewhere and nor will he let players committed elsewhere visit Clemson. That can be a good thing, but it can also be risky. Korey Foreman seemed like he loved Clemson (that giant tiger tattoo on his arm shows that). But I think his mom wanted him to tour other schools close to home, probably due to covid. Dabo told him he'd have to decommitment, and then offered other defensive ends his spot. I think that was pretty harsh given the circumstances (and because Foreman could be great - he'll probably suck if he goes to USC).
True, but I think Dabo can afford to be that way. They've earned the right to be picky and expect committment. Schools that are trying to get to that level, not so much. They've got to do whatever they can to get top notch talent. Hell, even cheat. I wish my school would cheat. We ain't gettin' it done the other way! (IF we are cheatin', we ain't worth a shit at it.)