• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taylor Mays a Bengal

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches that want to "start over" usually do it so they can get younger guys with potential and build from scratch. They'd expect to be around for a while in which case they'd want to keep a guy full of "potential". Mays just wasn't very good last year and wasn't expected to be good in the future either. That is why he was released.

Lol you have no idea what you are talking about.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good rebuttal.

He didn't fit in teh kind of D they wanted to run. It is that simple. They didn't want an in the box Safety. So they traded him. I don't see that being that hard to understand. He wasn't an all pro last year no, but he wasn't terrible. He was what you expect a 2nd round rookie to be. He is as good as Crocker now except he actually has some athletic ability. Zim coached a guy who plays liek him just much less athletic to 5 pro bowls. Lets see what he can do with Mays.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reply needed. They were "rebuilding." My bad. lol

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Kramer. Suck, Suck, Suck, 0-16.....Suck.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legally yes. I wear glasses for it though.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't fit in teh kind of D they wanted to run. It is that simple. They didn't want an in the box Safety. So they traded him. I don't see that being that hard to understand. He wasn't an all pro last year no, but he wasn't terrible. He was what you expect a 2nd round rookie to be. He is as good as Crocker now except he actually has some athletic ability. Zim coached a guy who plays liek him just much less athletic to 5 pro bowls. Lets see what he can do with Mays.

Some think he sucked and would always suck, others think he has tons of potential. Truth probably lies in the middle somewhere.

He has good straight line speed and size; he needs to improve recognition, agility and coverage. In the right system where he's not asked to play off the LOS too much, he could do well. The current staff didn't think he fit their scheme, he was DEF hand-picked by Sing (which is somewhat of a knock, tbh) but he has also shown a willingness to work hard and learn.

I think he's a good kid and hopefully it works out, we're pretty happy with a 4th, would have LOVED a 3rd. :peace2:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said on the 9'ers board the only think that really gives me a lot of hope is that Zimmer turned Roy Williams into a 5 time pro bowler and Williams is really just a slower Taylor Mays.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're all correct BTW. Yes, he played poorly in SF, and showed lack of recognition and coverage skills. He sucked. But Tubbs is also correct in that he didn't really fit their scheme, and definitely needs coaching up. He has the size and speed, and if Zimmer can work just a little bit of magic, he'll be an improvement over Crocker, especially if used correctly.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We all know Mays needs work in coverage to say the least. You dont ask him to be a coverage safety, though. You play him old school, like Fulcher. He makes plays be being physical. I think if Zim uses him in the right way he could be a very good AFCN SS. Look at LaRon Landry in Wash. Everyone called him a bust till he got a DC that let him play his game and be aggresive. Once that happened the guy flourished till he got hurt. But yeah, if you're expecting Mays to be a ball hawk you'll be dissapointed.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly have no problem with this trade. Another young talent for Zimmer to work with, and better than anyone we would have spent a 4th rounder on anyway. At the very least Mays will be good for bell ringing hit or two. Its not like we aren't used Safeties who couldn't cover a bar stool anyway, and anything is better than fucking Crocker. Its been well documented that we're gonna blow nuts this year, so the more young guys we put on the field the better.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crocker is awful. Anything that puts him on the bench works for me.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the Taylor Mays locker room video on Bengals.com. I know why he is slow to react to coverages and things like that now, because that is just the speed in which his brain functions I think. LOL

I still love the signing and his athletic ability though.

redbengal1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm fine with him taking Crocker's spot, but we still need a safety that can cover. NONE of ours can, Mays may have the most talent out of all of our safeties, but certainly isn't the best now. He was terrible last year.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well that's the problem. Mays might be ok as a guy who plays centerfield, but he can't cover 1-on-1, and Nelson has the same issue, as well as Crocker. None of our safeties can cover a WR by themselves.