• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taylor Mays a Bengal

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is for depth with an eye for the future as well. Crocker is always hurt. Mays is a in the box prototypical SS. As long as you make your schemes on defense around the fact that he's not going to have to cover 1-1 (zone and run support coverage calls for him) he should be fine.

He's better than anyone else right now on the depth chart behind the starters.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has better potential than anyone we could have gotten with a 4th round pick. I'm not upset at all if it's a 4th. I really like this trade. If Zimmer can turn Roy Williams into a 5 time pro bowler, then I have faith he can with Mays too.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's a great move...Zim loves to blitz his DB's and seems to be one of the few DC's left that likes physical guys as his safeties. I think it's a great fit for Mays and the Bengals. Plus, if nothing else he'll be a terror on ST.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a great move...Zim loves to blitz his DB's and seems to be one of the few DC's left that likes physical guys as his safeties. I think it's a great fit for Mays and the Bengals. Plus, if nothing else he'll be a terror on ST.

Absolutely. I see a faster Roy Williams honestly. The similarities are eerily similar. And as I keep saying Zim made him a 5 time pro bowler. And lets all not forget that the year before he came out he was an all american and a top 10 pick. When he has good corners (which we have) around him, and he wasn't relied so much in covering WR's and such 1-on-1 he was great. Zim knows how he needs to be used.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who is in the 2ndary, if our DL doesn't figure out how to get pressure on a QB and get some sacks, it won't matter who's back there.

It starts up front...the DL has got to do the job and apply pressure.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who is in the 2ndary, if our DL doesn't figure out how to get pressure on a QB and get some sacks, it won't matter who's back there.

It starts up front...the DL has got to do the job and apply pressure.

Did you watch the Jets game. Whan the 1st team D was in they were all over Sanchez, in his face every play even on 3 step drops.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I f'n love the trade. Low round pick for a guy with so much athletic talent. Zimmer has worked with a guy with a similar skillset in Roy Williams with the Cowboys back when he still had somethignf the tank and only made him a 5 or 6 time pro-bowler. I am not saying Mays will be a pro-bowler, but there is plenty he can do in this secondary to help us. I would much rather build on Mays to eventually replace Crocker this year than to stick with Crocker all year and never begin planning of transition for next year at that position outside Nelson.

I love the pick, and I am very glad we have him.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ the optimism. The guy was going to be released by the 49'ers for fuck sake. You people will never fucking learn.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ the optimism. The guy was going to be released by the 49'ers for fuck sake. You people will never fucking learn.

Singletary loved him. He was only going to be released because the new coaches wanted to start over. I would say check the facts but we all know you just say what is on your mind without checking anything so I'm not gonna waste my time.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mays sucks.

What I do find interesting is some of the same people that think Nelson sucks are advocating for Mays.

Very similar situations.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Singletary loved him. He was only going to be released because the new coaches wanted to start over. I would say check the facts but we all know you just say what is on your mind without checking anything so I'm not gonna waste my time.

"Start over"? The guy's a 2nd year player, not a seasoned veteran.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Start over"? The guy's a 2nd year player, not a seasoned veteran.

Exactly. He hasn't built his reputation up enough to be kept. He started 6 games for Singletary last year and is very well known Singletary loved him. Harbaugh wanted his own players. Happens all the time.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays sucks.

What I do find interesting is some of the same people that think Nelson sucks are advocating for Mays.

Very similar situations.

Lol because you can tell a player sucks from one year where he was actually a decent starter. Brady must suck too because he was a 6th round pick and they all suck. Or how about Troy Aikman? He went 1-15 his rookie year. Manning went 3-13 and hat like 28 INT's. He must blow then. Josh Freeman had a bad rookie year, damn the Buccs should have cut him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the Jets game. Whan the 1st team D was in they were all over Sanchez, in his face every play even on 3 step drops.

Exactly. We got pressure on Sanchez with the DL and LB's. The offense threw two INT's, had a FUMBLE and we were only down 10-7 part way through the 2nd quarter. It didn't help seeing Fred Barnett covering Plaxico on the TD pass at the end of the 2nd quarter that stretched the lead. It didn't help our rookie safety Sands was so far out of position that allowed Kellen to get so far open he would have made Linda Lovelace jealous.

First team defense played well against a good looking skillset on offense: Tomlinson, Holmes, Burriss, Kellen.

If the offense can get a few more playmakers on offense out there...Green, Simpson, Shipley, Gresham in on more plays together that is a lot of good targets for Dalton. Of course Dalton has to be able to hit these guys better. He is a rookie QB, making a transtion with a rookie OC, a rookie #1 WR and a historically bad franchise and an OL that saw more guys go through it than Grand Central last year.

Just gonna have to take some growing pains. If Palmer was here, most the critics would be saying no better than 6-8 wins either, so you begin anew or you pay more for a QB not taking you to the playoffs anyways. May as well start preparing for next year. I am excited about our 1st string D and the potential of our marquee position players on offense.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. We got pressure on Sanchez with the DL and LB's. The offense threw two INT's, had a FUMBLE and we were only down 10-7 part way through the 2nd quarter. It didn't help seeing Fred Barnett covering Plaxico on the TD pass at the end of the 2nd quarter that stretched the lead. It didn't help our rookie safety Sands was so far out of position that allowed Kellen to get so far open he would have made Linda Lovelace jealous.

First team defense played well against a good looking skillset on offense: Tomlinson, Holmes, Burriss, Kellen.

If the offense can get a few more playmakers on offense out there...Green, Simpson, Shipley, Gresham in on more plays together that is a lot of good targets for Dalton. Of course Dalton has to be able to hit these guys better. He is a rookie QB, making a transtion with a rookie OC, a rookie #1 WR and a historically bad franchise and an OL that saw more guys go through it than Grand Central last year.

Just gonna have to take some growing pains. If Palmer was here, most the critics would be saying no better than 6-8 wins either, so you begin anew or you pay more for a QB not taking you to the playoffs anyways. May as well start preparing for next year. I am excited about our 1st string D and the potential of our marquee position players on offense.

Exactly. The first team D I expect to be top 10, the offense bottom 10. Especially if Benson doesn't learn to hold onto the damn ball. Guys will get open this year, the question is can Dalton hit them. This is why I didn't want to pick this guy in the second. There is a reason he started as a 4th round talent. Had we got him in the 3rd or 4th I would have been ecstatic. 2nd was too high.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The first team D I expect to be top 10, the offense bottom 10. Especially if Benson doesn't learn to hold onto the damn ball. Guys will get open this year, the question is can Dalton hit them. This is why I didn't want to pick this guy in the second. There is a reason he started as a 4th round talent. Had we got him in the 3rd or 4th I would have been ecstatic. 2nd was too high.

Doesn't really matter if we got him with a second round pick or a 7th round pick, he was going to be our starting QB and that doesn't make his numbers better or worse on the field. Getting picked later would not improve his arm strength or his accuracy.

So in realtion to that, it doesn't really matter, it is not our money, and we are used to getting nothing for our players anyways, like with Palmer. We are giving up a 1st round pick for not trading Palmer, and we gave up a second for Dalton. It is all irrelavent on the field when the whistle blows. I had wanted Mallet, but I was not unhappy with Dalton, because I knew we were going to be running a WCO offense where 95% of our passes are going to be within 10 yards and make the skill players make the extra yardage.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly. He hasn't built his reputation up enough to be kept. He started 6 games for Singletary last year and is very well known Singletary loved him. Harbaugh wanted his own players. Happens all the time.

Coaches that want to "start over" usually do it so they can get younger guys with potential and build from scratch. They'd expect to be around for a while in which case they'd want to keep a guy full of "potential". Mays just wasn't very good last year and wasn't expected to be good in the future either. That is why he was released.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't really matter if we got him with a second round pick or a 7th round pick, he was going to be our starting QB and that doesn't make his numbers better or worse on the field. Getting picked later would not improve his arm strength or his accuracy.

So in realtion to that, it doesn't really matter, it is not our money, and we are used to getting nothing for our players anyways, like with Palmer. We are giving up a 1st round pick for not trading Palmer, and we gave up a second for Dalton. It is all irrelavent on the field when the whistle blows. I had wanted Mallet, but I was not unhappy with Dalton, because I knew we were going to be running a WCO offense where 95% of our passes are going to be within 10 yards and make the skill players make the extra yardage.

But it does make a difference because with that 2nd rounder we could have taken Ryan Williams, or an OG, or something else that would have helped this team.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol because you can tell a player sucks from one year where he was actually a decent starter. Brady must suck too because he was a 6th round pick and they all suck. Or how about Troy Aikman? He went 1-15 his rookie year. Manning went 3-13 and hat like 28 INT's. He must blow then. Josh Freeman had a bad rookie year, damn the Buccs should have cut him.

What the hell are you talking about?

You obviously didn't understand the simple concept that was underlined in my post.