• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taggart to FSU

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban would do better than Mullen recruiting there because he has the name etc. But would the Saban who just left Michigan St 20 years ago?

And Saban is being somewhat modest in that quote you have earlier. It's true he knows recruiting is extremely important, and we often times seem to sacrifice coaching for better recruiters. But what makes Saban so successful is his drive. It shows up in recruiting and it shows up every where else.

I thought Muschamp was a stupid hire - 0 experience as a HC and said so, and I thought McElwain was also a stupid hire and about the furthest thing from an offensive genius that you could find. I don't even know why Alabama fans like him, I thought he was a terrible OC and even Nuss was better.

Mullen is a great hire and is being severely disrespected here.

I don't think Mullen is a bad hire. He's good for Florida and will help that awful offense. Will he pull the defensive talent they've had the last 5 years? Don't know. The disrespect for Mullen was on the Mullen thread page 1.

Taggert is just a better fit for FSU. No one knew what Lincoln Riley would do at OU. Hell he had no experience at all as a head coach and got Stoops' recruits as a hand me down. Taggert has done way more and is just the face FSU needs to bring in elite talent that we are used to. I'd just rather have a younger guy from FL with that track record than Mullen. That's me

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, had to look that up... '68-'75 ? Really?

1969 bitches!!! Jim Morrison was the man back then

giphy.gif

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACCG Advancing Georgia's Counties
You win that ACCG!
Now the Coastal division is easier, but you still got to get by Miami.

So I think we are safe agreeing that Fu will be able to win the ACC with 3-4 star recruits.

Here's Saban's first year. Got it from my friend google

On January 3, 2007, following a meeting with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Saban announced that he had accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach. On January 4, 2007, at a press conference on the Alabama campus, Saban was officially introduced as the head football coach of The University of Alabama. On September 1, 2007, his Crimson Tide opened the season with a 52–6 win over the Western Carolina Catamounts, scoring more points than during any game in the 2006 season. Saban became the fifth Alabama coach since 1900 to start his first season 3–0, earning a win over then-ranked No. 16 Arkansas Razorbacks. Alabama ended the regular season with a 6–6 record, including a four-game losing streak, a particularly humiliating loss at home to Louisiana-Monroe, and a sixth straight loss to Auburn in the Iron Bowl. The Crimson Tide defeated Colorado in the 2007 Independence Bowl, 30–24, to end the year 7–6.

Next year. 12-0 Natty

2006 BAMA class had 2 - 5 stars and 10 - 4 stars

So rather than take your "friend's" valued internet research as gold, I just did a simple google for 2 years with Bama on 247 - 2005 & 2006. In that time they had 7 or so 4 star recruits and one 5 star. The bulk of the recruits were 3 star (or lower) which amounted to around 40 student athletes. I am pretty sure that the one 5 star recruit at Tackle who played as a true freshman was not the reason they won their games. Bama fans feel free to weigh in here...

EDIT: In reviewing the years 2004, 2003 and 2002, I also found there were no five star recruits and that there were maybe a total of eight 4-star recruits and the rest 3 star or lower...

Last edited:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think we are safe agreeing that Fu will be able to win the ACC with 3-4 star recruits.

So rather than take your "friend's" valued internet research as gold, I just did a simple google for 2 years with Bama on 247 - 2005 & 2006. In that time they had 7 or so 4 star recruits and one 5 star. The bulk of the recruits were 3 star (or lower) which amounted to around 40 student athletes. I am pretty sure that the one 5 star recruit at Tackle who played as a true freshman was not the reason they won their games. Bama fans feel free to weigh in here...

No Va Tech will not win the ACC. They will not pass go or collect $200. Miami is loading up, you are in trouble, and even if you did get past Miami.. You ain't beating Clemson or FSU.

Sounds like a nice dream though.

Saban came in, went 6-6, then won a natty. Yes there were a few 5 stars on there. Like I said, there are only 25 or so a year.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely disagree. That being said I do think ratings help, but I am willing to bet you will see Fuente recruit 3-4 star players and after it is said and done, win the ACCG and be in playoff contention a few times. Don't agree perhaps? May want to check with your AD about Fuente and what he thinks Coach Fu can do...

Also Bama fans feel free to check me, but I am pretty sure Saban won the BCS (circa 2009ish) with a former coach's roster with mediocre to decent talent at the time...

Forgot to mention Fuente as being on the initial list of candidates for FSU. I don't think he was top of the list, but either way, glad we didn't go for him. Honestly don't want to poach other schools in our conference and think Fuente will do well at Tech.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Va Tech will not win the ACC. They will not pass go or collect $200. Miami is loading up, you are in trouble, and even if you did get past Miami.. You ain't beating Clemson or FSU.

Sounds like a nice dream though.

Saban came in, went 6-6, then won a natty. Yes there were a few 5 stars on there. Like I said, there are only 25 or so a year.

Dude, Fuente took Clemson to the wire in last year's game WITH BEAMER'S kids.

Sounds like wishing rather than anything else.

Forgot to mention Fuente as being on the initial list of candidates for FSU. I don't think he was top of the list, but either way, glad we didn't go for him. Honestly don't want to poach other schools in our conference and think Fuente will do well at Tech.
source.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely disagree. That being said I do think ratings help, but I am willing to bet you will see Fuente recruit 3-4 star players and after it is said and done, win the ACCG and be in playoff contention a few times. Don't agree perhaps? May want to check with your AD about Fuente and what he thinks Coach Fu can do...

Also Bama fans feel free to check me, but I am pretty sure Saban won the BCS (circa 2009ish) with a former coach's roster with mediocre to decent talent at the time...

I'm not 100% sure what the debate between the 2 of you is, but:

Saban won in his 3rd year, but it was 2008 that we were "back". He had to do a lot of rebuilding, but there we still lots of previous recruits.

However, we went 12-2 in his second(2008), came up short against Florida in the SECCG with Tebow, then lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl. Opened up 2008 with a big win against a top10 Clemson that nobody expected us to win. It was the 2008 class that was considered to be the class that turned Alabama round. Julio, Ingram, etc.

And then it was 2009 that we won it all, going undefeated and beating Florida the 2nd time around. Tebow crying, heart attacks, family time, etc.

So I guess it was probably about 50/50. The biggest thing when Saban got here is that we were very soft and undisciplined. Saban cleaned house with the quickness and didn't give a shit if it meant we went 7-6. He definitely improved the quality of our existing players.

I think AJ was his first QB that he recruited and played.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Fuente took Clemson to the wire in last year's game WITH BEAMER'S kids.

Sounds like wishing rather than anything else.

Yeah we had them beat and Jimbo wanted to start his chucking routing/forgot about Cook already having 4 TDs averaging 10+ a carry. Pitt got it done. Maybe they are the next in line. :lol:

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we had them beat and Jimbo wanted to start his chucking routing/forgot about Cook already having 4 TDs averaging 10+ a carry. Pitt got it done. Maybe they are the next in line. :lol:
They need to make it to the ACCCG first. And there is a reason your AD didn't have Narduzzi (msp?) on their short list of candidates and Fuente was - one is a proven winner from stints at Memphis and VT.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aVOSkIC.gif

I mean we don't know what answer he's giving, but he's giving one. And do you call a meeting with the players just to say you are staying?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to make it to the ACCCG first. And there is a reason your AD didn't have Narduzzi (msp?) on their short list of candidates and Fuente was - one is a proven winner from stints at Memphis and VT.

I don't know what kind of homer weed you are smoking, but PM me and give me the strain please. No dick pics though -- contact @BigRedMoe for those.

Last edited:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aVOSkIC.gif

I mean we don't know what answer he's giving, but he's giving one. And do you call a meeting with the players just to say you are staying?

You bastard.. Breaking all the good news on this.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players already tweeting there is no meeting.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bastard.. Breaking all the good news on this.
Ok, I'll give you a 10 minute window from the point the official word either way comes down to post it first. Deal? Not my fault if you are taking a fat crap for that window.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting chain reaction this year with the coaching searches. A&M fires a pretty good coach IMO, then somehow nabs a coach from an elite school like FSU, which then grabs a coach from Oregon who's only been there a few years.

Sucks to be Oregon.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not 100% sure what the debate between the 2 of you is, but:

Saban won in his 3rd year, but it was 2008 that we were "back". He had to do a lot of rebuilding, but there we still lots of previous recruits.

However, we went 12-2 in his second(2008), came up short against Florida in the SECCG with Tebow, then lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl. Opened up 2008 with a big win against a top10 Clemson that nobody expected us to win. It was the 2008 class that was considered to be the class that turned Alabama round. Julio, Ingram, etc.

And then it was 2009 that we won it all, going undefeated and beating Florida the 2nd time around. Tebow crying, heart attacks, family time, etc.

So I guess it was probably about 50/50. The biggest thing when Saban got here is that we were very soft and undisciplined. Saban cleaned house with the quickness and didn't give a shit if it meant we went 7-6. He definitely improved the quality of our existing players.

I think AJ was his first QB that he recruited and played.
Yep which the 2008 class had around 3 five stars. Which seems very good. but let's decompose this further (for you mainly SJ76)...

We all know what Julio did but the other two were busts -- Tyler Love and BJ Scott. It was all about getting the right players in the system or leveraging what he had at the time (circa 2002-2008). Saban was able to do what he does best - play players to their best potential and he won his first NC.

Alabama Football: 5-Star Busts Prove It's Not All Written in the Stars