• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 1: BCS vs. CFP

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped there because it's the smartest thing I've seen you post since you were ripping on Rosen in that NFL thread. Didn't want to read on and take that away from you.
Must have forgot to use the sarcasm font.

We could debate for hours n this topic. I could keep providing facts of the flaws in the current system etc....While people can counter with semantics and opinion etc...

In the end theres really just two sides to this debate.

Some people like the what ifs,buts.I think this team current system because they enjoy the debate and human aspect. The politics off the field....I do get some people love discussion etc....

Some people want a system that utilizes a format thats built on a solid foundation. That removes the what ifs etc. That increases completion levels,reduces the debate and all the question marks. And gives us a true undisputed champion.

I prefer the platform that ensures the best teams are in contention for a title. Which would be the 6 game format that reduces the room for error we have now

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped there because it's the smartest thing I've seen you post since you were ripping on Rosen in that NFL thread. Didn't want to read on and take that away from you.
TBF i was tagged in that thread because someone tried claiming Rosen was a better QB than Mayfield. Im fairly sure the two that are high on Rosen. Have never watched a PAC game. Hows Rosen doing. Has he beaten a team besides the 49ers yet. Last I saw he had a "toe" injury

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to reading your thoughts. IMO the College Football playoff system is fine but needs to be expanded to be as good as possible. A 6 team college football playoff is what I would like to see.

I would like to see a 6 team CFP as well. In years like this, where there are 6 clear teams that are above all the others, I think it makes sense. It might not make sense to just throw 2 more teams into a playoff when there are 4 clear cut best teams in College Football.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of unpopular opinions...Notre Dame was #12 to start the year...not bad considering they finished #11 last year. When exactly did you think they should have jumped up to #1...after beating #14 Michigan, lol. If we gave the #1 ranking to everyone that beat a top 15 team, there would be a lot of #1's. There were plenty of teams more deserving than Notre Dame to be in the top spot earlier in the season, Ohio State come immediately to mind with win over ranked TCU and ranked Penn St on the road. Stanford was already unranked by the time Ohio State lost and Virginia Tech never should have been ranked in the first place.

At the least, ND should've been ahead of Alabama after beating it's 2nd ranked team in week 5 after Bama's best win was over a ranked A&M team. ND had wins over Michigan AND Stanford at the time. Then ND beat Va. Tech who was just back in the rankings at 24, while Bama was laying the smackdown on little ole' Louisiana.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the least, ND should've been ahead of Alabama after beating it's 2nd ranked team in week 5 after Bama's best win was over a ranked A&M team. ND had wins over Michigan AND Stanford at the time. Then ND beat Va. Tech who was just back in the rankings at 24, while Bama was laying the smackdown on little ole' Louisiana.

Remind me again of what Notre Dame has done in the last 25 years where people should treat them special. Virginia Tech climbing back in the polls is as much of an indication of what the value of pre-CFP polls as anything else. If it make you feel better to pretend Notre Dame is the #1 team have at it. It will wind up being about as real as your Things Remembered UCF National Championship Trophy or Notre Dame's 2012 National Title run.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see a 6 team CFP as well. In years like this, where there are 6 clear teams that are above all the others, I think it makes sense. It might not make sense to just throw 2 more teams into a playoff when there are 4 clear cut best teams in College Football.
Are you high?

There aren't 6 clear teams above the others. There is one that to this point seems well ahead and then a cluster of kind of solid.

Any team left out can only look in the mirror, not to a flawed system as a few are hung up on.

There really isn't a need for more this year. In fact, I'd argue this is an example of a year where 2 and the BCS makes more sense.

This has been a down year overall for power football. It happens.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you high?

There aren't 6 clear teams above the others. There is one that to this point seems well ahead and then a cluster of kind of solid.

Any team left out can only look in the mirror, not to a flawed system as a few are hung up on.

There really isn't a need for more this year. In fact, I'd argue this is an example of a year where 2 and the BCS makes more sense.

This has been a down year overall for power football. It happens.
Not high yet, it's too early for all that.

Well there's Bama, Clemson, ND. Then below that is Michigan, Georgia, then Oklahoma.

That's 6 teams. However, there isn't even a clear 4th best team in the country right now, in my opinion. Many arguments can be made for Georgia to be ahead of Michigan. While there may not be a need for more than 4 RIGHT NOW, who's to say what happens the rest of the way. There isn't even a clear 2 best teams out there right now. Bama, Clemson and ND are all tough and yes, Bama has the edge for 1st, a strong argument can be made for ND to be over Clemson and vice versa for Clemson. Just saying that there's gonna come a point in time where there may be a need for 6 teams and all this "bitching and complaining" by fans of college football are gonna cause a change in the playoff system. But like I said, there's no need for 6 playoff teams every year. I think in 2014 you could've had 6 teams, adding Baylor and TCU in there. 2015, could've had Iowa and Ohio State in there. But, because they both lost to Michigan State, who made the playoff as the 4 seed, there was really no need.

The last two years, there's really no good way to have 6 teams. Depends on the year, I suppose.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It needs to go to an 8 team playoff with 5 auto bids and three WC. The committee could stay the same to do the seeding or whatever. Otherwise just go back to the old ways of split titles and bowls meaning something.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remind me again of what Notre Dame has done in the last 25 years where people should treat them special. Virginia Tech climbing back in the polls is as much of an indication of what the value of pre-CFP polls as anything else. If it make you feel better to pretend Notre Dame is the #1 team have at it. It will wind up being about as real as your Things Remembered UCF National Championship Trophy or Notre Dame's 2012 National Title run.

I read that first sentence and I just couldn't finish what you said. Your Bama privilege is showing.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It needs to go to an 8 team playoff with 5 auto bids and three WC. The committee could stay the same to do the seeding or whatever. Otherwise just go back to the old ways of split titles and bowls meaning something.

I am against the auto bid idea. I am assuming you're talking about all 5 P5 conference champions getting in and that doesn't always work, especially with the Pac 12. Look at them this year, while the Cougars could be a 1-loss conference champ, the Pac 12 champ could still be a 3-loss Utah team. There's no way they should sniff the playoff if they are a conference champion. I do think, however, that Conference titles SHOULD mean more, but in certain instances. An instance where it's between a conference champion like Penn State and Ohio State who was beaten by Penn State that same year, I would put my vote to Penn State. Not only are they the conference champ but they also beat the team they are being compared to.

Auto bids are a scary situation for the NCAA to put themselves in.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am against the auto bid idea. I am assuming you're talking about all 5 P5 conference champions getting in and that doesn't always work, especially with the Pac 12. Look at them this year, while the Cougars could be a 1-loss conference champ, the Pac 12 champ could still be a 3-loss Utah team. There's no way they should sniff the playoff if they are a conference champion. I do think, however, that Conference titles SHOULD mean more, but in certain instances. An instance where it's between a conference champion like Penn State and Ohio State who was beaten by Penn State that same year, I would put my vote to Penn State. Not only are they the conference champ but they also beat the team they are being compared to.

Auto bids are a scary situation for the NCAA to put themselves in.

I’m not really in favor of the whole auto bids either because the Pac 12 doesn’t deserve a spot but it isn’t a real playoff if not every one can be represented. Either make the playoff mean something or make the bowls mean something. The BCS > the CFP

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either make the playoff mean something or make the bowls mean something.
100% agree. Which is why I also think there shouldn't be so many bowls. Make the win total 7 or 8 instead of 6.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree. Which is why I also think there shouldn't be so many bowls. Make the win total 7 or 8 instead of 6.

I say make it 8. I’d really really prefer the NCAA to cut the bowls an essentially force the minor bowls sponsors to spend their money on making good matchups OOC.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say make it 8. I’d really really prefer the NCAA to cut the bowls an essentially force the minor bowls sponsors to spend their money on making good matchups OOC.

LOL You two need to figure out who butters the bread on this sandwich and it sure as fuck isn't the NCAA.

You say these minor bowls sponsors like they are some local bowl committee, lol. Here's the reality.

EPSN Events(Disney) owns the following Bowls outright:

• Texas Bowl
  • Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
  • Bahamas Bowl
  • Birmingham Bowl
  • Celebration Bowl
  • Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl
  • Potato Bowl
  • Frisco Bowl
  • New Mexico Bowl
  • Hawai’i Bowl
  • Las Vegas Bowl
  • Armed Forces Bowl
  • Camellia Bowl
  • Heart of Dallas Bowl
They also broadcast 35 of the 40 bowls last year and all the playoff games.

The P5 conferences drive this bus and it stops where the money is.

There will be an expansion to the playoffs when ESPN or some other broadcaster tells that they are willing to pay more for it. There will also be an end to the minor bowls when ESPN quits making money off them.

Cafe_Puro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 60/40 in agreement.. Id like to point out if it hasnt been stated already.. The SEC was in favor of a playoff before the BCS was agreed on by other confs.. And the majority of non SEC fans hated the BCS becuse of the run... Where conspiracy theories and gibberish about espn favors the SEC.. Most of those positions i chalk up to being poor sports.

However i i fact do love having a playoff and me like others said before the playoffs started.. What will happen when more than one SEC tean gets in.. Cus face it.. The more seeds the more spots for the SEC to fill.. 8 get it.. Most just want a shot. And no matter if it was BCS or the playoffs.. Teams still have to play the game. So it doesn't matter if you really look at it.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL You two need to figure out who butters the bread on this sandwich and it sure as fuck isn't the NCAA.

You say these minor bowls sponsors like they are some local bowl committee, lol. Here's the reality.

EPSN Events(Disney) owns the following Bowls outright:

• Texas Bowl
  • Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
  • Bahamas Bowl
  • Birmingham Bowl
  • Celebration Bowl
  • Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl
  • Potato Bowl
  • Frisco Bowl
  • New Mexico Bowl
  • Hawai’i Bowl
  • Las Vegas Bowl
  • Armed Forces Bowl
  • Camellia Bowl
  • Heart of Dallas Bowl
They also broadcast 35 of the 40 bowls last year and all the playoff games.

The P5 conferences drive this bus and it stops where the money is.

There will be an expansion to the playoffs when ESPN or some other broadcaster tells that they are willing to pay more for it. There will also be an end to the minor bowls when ESPN quits making money off them.

Yeah, suggesting they should cut bowls to make them more meaningful is pretty silly, that shit’s not happening. And the playoff has done way more to lower the perception of meaningfulness of the meaningful bowls to the newer generation of fan than lower tier bowls ever did.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before 2K - We need to break ties and have a unified champion!

Mid 2k's - We need to go to 4 because sometimes it's vague who should be 2 vs. 3.

2018 - We need to go to 6 or 8 because sometimes it's vague who should be 4 vs 5.

Few years from now - We need to go to 16 because sometimes it's vague who should be 8 vs 9.

Next - We need to go back to 4 because there's too many crappy teams profiting off shitty schedules and bad conferences.

The cycle of football fans.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be an expansion to the playoffs when ESPN or some other broadcaster tells that they are willing to pay more for it.
Yep. Anyone that is altruistic enough to think decisions are made solely on what is in the best interest of college football is naive as hell. It is and has been about the Benjamins now and has been for quite some time. Why else would my Miners be willing to go get their ass kicked every year in places like Norman, Austin, Knoxville, etc?
source.gif

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to point out if it hasnt been stated already.. The SEC was in favor of a playoff before the BCS was agreed on by other confs..
IIRC, this is 100% correct. The Rose Bowl...aka the B1G and the Pac 12 were against the change and the last to sign on. They fought it tooth and nail. The SEC, Big 12 and ACC ready for a playoff long before the other two were.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before 2K - We need to break ties and have a unified champion!

Mid 2k's - We need to go to 4 because sometimes it's vague who should be 2 vs. 3.

2018 - We need to go to 6 or 8 because sometimes it's vague who should be 4 vs 5.

Few years from now - We need to go to 16 because sometimes it's vague who should be 8 vs 9.

Next - We need to go back to 4 because there's too many crappy teams profiting off shitty schedules and bad conferences.

The cycle of football fans.
You left one off.

We need to go back to the old bowl system prior to the BCS and CFP. Would that be so bad?