• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 5: Bowl Eligibility

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he does have unpopular opinions.....Plus he's bracing for the fact UCF wont make the playoffs just like Buckeye fans!

Why brace for something that I knew wasn't gonna happen for a while now? lol

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well why not have 65 bowl games so EVERY program gets rewarded for their time? Think of how much money the NCAA could make then!

If you want to rant about something, you should at least understand it. The first dollar that the NCAA makes of the CFP or bowl games will be the next one. The NCAA doesn't have shit to do with organizing, funding, controlling, or profiting from any bowl game, or any playoffs. So wringing your hands about NCAA profits is not only pointless, it's idiotic.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to rant about something, you should at least understand it. The first dollar that the NCAA makes of the CFP or bowl games will be the next one. The NCAA doesn't have shit to do with organizing, funding, controlling, or profiting from any bowl game, or any playoffs. So wringing your hands about NCAA profits is not only pointless, it's idiotic.

So you're telling me the NCAA doesn't make a dime from any bowl games? Because they do from the networks televising the bowl games. So, the more bowl games are televised, the more money for the NCAA.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me the NCAA doesn't make a dime from any bowl games? Because they do from the networks televising the bowl games. So, the more bowl games are televised, the more money for the NCAA.

Payouts go to teams and conferences.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payouts go to teams and conferences.

So the NCAA makes $0.00 from Bowl games? I find that hard to believe. But hey, I've been wrong before.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turn off the TV if you don't like it.

Many of us do.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the NCAA makes $0.00 from Bowl games? I find that hard to believe. But hey, I've been wrong before.
It’s been explained. The NCAA doesn’t have anything to do with the games, other than approving them. Their revenue comes from the basketball tournament tv deals and ticket sales, which it does have a lot to do with, and membership dues.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, I'm telling you that the NCAA does not get television revenue from any bowl game that involves FBS teams. Maybe they make some money off the heritage bowl or some shit like that. But the NCAA made 0 dollars off any CFP game and they are going to make 0 dollars off any of the stupid ass bowls you started this thread with.

I'm sorry if this shatters your world view, but if you don't understand who the players are in College Football you might as well be talking about tiddly winks.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, the NCAA doesn't make anything off Bowl games, or really off FBS college football in general. Those contracts are signed with the conferences and teams.

The "NCAA" makes most of it's revenue off the basketball tourney. However, it's a bit misleading to say the NCAA gets this money because it actually distributes the majority of it back to the schools. What doesn't go to the schools is generally used for expenses(aka the schools get the profit after expenses).

The "NCAA" is made up of member schools. They serve the schools, not the other way around. It's not a corporation, it doesn't generate profit, it just represents the schools and their interests.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s been explained. The NCAA doesn’t have anything to do with the games, other than approving them. Their revenue comes from the basketball tournament tv deals and ticket sales, which it does have a lot to do with, and membership dues.

Yes, I'm telling you that the NCAA does not get television revenue from any bowl game that involves FBS teams. Maybe they make some money off the heritage bowl or some shit like that. But the NCAA made 0 dollars off any CFP game and they are going to make 0 dollars off any of the stupid ass bowls you started this thread with.

I'm sorry if this shatters your world view, but if you don't understand who the players are in College Football you might as well be talking about tiddly winks.

Yes, the NCAA doesn't make anything off Bowl games, or really off FBS college football in general. Those contracts are signed with the conferences and teams.

The "NCAA" makes most of it's revenue off the basketball tourney. However, it's a bit misleading to say the NCAA gets this money because it actually distributes the majority of it back to the schools. What doesn't go to the schools is generally used for expenses(aka the schools get the profit after expenses).

The "NCAA" is made up of member schools. They serve the schools, not the other way around. It's not a corporation, it doesn't generate profit, it just represents the schools and their interests.

giphy.gif

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, this isn’t your worst opinion. There’s a similar thread every year around Bowl season, like I said, I can wrap my head around where your coming from, but at the end of the day, it’s more football, anyone who follows the sport understands the tiers of bowl games and their meaningfulness. We get more football, most of the money goes to schools and their conferences, players get the experiece, teams get extra practices, no one is forced to watch. It’s just hard to really find the downside when you consider everything.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, this isn’t your worst opinion. There’s a similar thread every year around Bowl season, like I said, I can wrap my head around where your coming from, but at the end of the day, it’s more football, anyone who follows the sport understands the tiers of bowl games and their meaningfulness. We get more football, most of the money goes to schools and their conferences, players get the experiece, teams get extra practices, no one is forced to watch. It’s just hard to really find the downside when you consider everything.

It only sucks for Alabama because they have the record for most Bowl appearances. Once upon a time it meant something, but those days have been gone for decades.

Anyone else can just turn the TV off.

That record meaning something vs having more football at a time when there is no real Saturday football anymore isn't even remotely worth it either. Fuck that record, give me more football.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terry gets offended if 6-6 team gets to play a bowl game.

That's the only downside I can think of.
To be fair, he’s not the only one. If it’s an aspect of college football, people will find a reason to have a problem with it.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terry gets offended if 6-6 team gets to play a bowl game.

That's the only downside I can think of.

Terry doesn't get offended. Terry thought it was the NCAA's way of making money. But, as my friend Richard Pryor stated earlier....I WAS WRONG!!!

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 5:

The requirement to be bowl eligible is too low. Right now, we have 12 6-6 teams that will be awarded a bowl game. 81 programs out of the 130 in FBS are bowl eligible this year. This is the ONLY sport where you are rewarded with a "postseason" game by finishing .500 and NOT winning your division. I understand this is for money and the NCAA makes lots of money off of the sponsors of these stupid fucking bowl games, but this is a little ridiculous.

Here are some of the new bowl game sponsors for 2018:

Dollar General Bowl
Cheez-It Bowl
Redbox Bowl

Yay! We won the Cheez-It Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE fucking Golden Cheez-It, I'm flipping tables!
Yay! We won the Dollar General Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE bright ass yellow cart, I'm flipping tables!
Yay! We won the Redbox Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE scratched, non-working DVD, I'm flipping tables!

Also, the fact that the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are delegated for specific conference teams is fucking bullshit as well. In my opinion, all NY6 bowl games should be played by the top 12 teams in the country.

Top 4 get in the CFP, #5 and #6 play in one bowl game, #7 and #8 play in one bowl game, #9 and #10 play in one bowl game and #11 and #12 play in one bowl game.

Right now, the Rose Bowl is saved for a Pac 12 team, so if Utah wins the Pac-12 title, you're telling me Utah deserves to be in an NY6 bowl? The Sugar Bowl is saved for a Big 12 team. So, if Oklahoma gets in the playoff, you're telling me an outside the top 15 4-loss Texas team could be in an NY6 bowl? That's fucking ridiculous and it's fucking bullshit.

But, that's just my unpopular opinion.

fully agree on the first point. hell I don't think 7-5 teams should be bowling......... look in the stands........ no one is there......... it's ridiculous. no one fucking cares.......

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also not a fan. We as a society rant and rave about "them durn millennials and their participation trophies" but then turn around and reward 6-6 (and sometimes 5-7!!!!) teams with bowl games.

If you support 6-6 teams going to bowl games you forfeit the right to complain about participation trophies.....

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he’s not the only one. If it’s an aspect of college football, people will find a reason to have a problem with it.
My only problem with college football is the ridiculous amount of money the NCAA makes off the bowl games.