• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 5: Bowl Eligibility

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 5:

The requirement to be bowl eligible is too low. Right now, we have 12 6-6 teams that will be awarded a bowl game. 81 programs out of the 130 in FBS are bowl eligible this year. This is the ONLY sport where you are rewarded with a "postseason" game by finishing .500 and NOT winning your division. I understand this is for money and the NCAA makes lots of money off of the sponsors of these stupid fucking bowl games, but this is a little ridiculous.

Here are some of the new bowl game sponsors for 2018:

Dollar General Bowl
Cheez-It Bowl
Redbox Bowl

Yay! We won the Cheez-It Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE fucking Golden Cheez-It, I'm flipping tables!
Yay! We won the Dollar General Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE bright ass yellow cart, I'm flipping tables!
Yay! We won the Redbox Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE scratched, non-working DVD, I'm flipping tables!

Also, the fact that the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are delegated for specific conference teams is fucking bullshit as well. In my opinion, all NY6 bowl games should be played by the top 12 teams in the country.

Top 4 get in the CFP, #5 and #6 play in one bowl game, #7 and #8 play in one bowl game, #9 and #10 play in one bowl game and #11 and #12 play in one bowl game.

Right now, the Rose Bowl is saved for a Pac 12 team, so if Utah wins the Pac-12 title, you're telling me Utah deserves to be in an NY6 bowl? The Sugar Bowl is saved for a Big 12 team. So, if Oklahoma gets in the playoff, you're telling me an outside the top 15 4-loss Texas team could be in an NY6 bowl? That's fucking ridiculous and it's fucking bullshit.

But, that's just my unpopular opinion.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a Bowl can make money then so be it.
I don't have a problem rewarding the players, no matter what the record.

I don't see the NCAA getting in the way either.

The last time the NCAA tried to control the purse strings of schools they got kicked in the balls in Federal Court about it. So I don't think there will be much push back from them.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a Bowl can make money then so be it.
I don't have a problem rewarding the players, no matter what the record.

I don't see the NCAA getting in the way either.

The last time the NCAA tried to control the purse strings of schools they got kicked in the balls in Federal Court about it. So I don't think there will be much push back from them.

I think you should at least have an above .500 record. 6-5? I'm ok with but I think it would be at least 7 wins to be bowl eligible.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl season is fun.

Some of the most entertaining games are often these lower tier bowls.

I guess some people will complain about too much football. :crazy:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you should at least have an above .500 record. 6-5? I'm ok with but I think it would be at least 7 wins to be bowl eligible.

The NCAA would have to limit the amount of Bowl Games played for that to happen.
They haven't done that.
They won't do that.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl season is fun.

Some of the most entertaining games are often these lower tier bowls.

I guess some people will complain about too much football. :crazy:

Bowl season is fun, yes. But if it's shit football, yes, some people will complain about it. Sorry, but I don't want to see 6-6 Tulane play 7-5 Toledo for 1 of 42 participation trophies.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if ye dont want to watch ohio v bowling green maybe turn the channel en sech

Doesn't change my opinion that 6-6 teams don't deserve to be rewarded for a playing a mediocre season.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's football goes year round.
Let the guys who put in the time get some kind of reward.

Well why not have 65 bowl games so EVERY program gets rewarded for their time? Think of how much money the NCAA could make then!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well why not have 65 bowl games so EVERY program gets rewarded for their time? Think of how much money the NCAA could make then!

Well, that's probably where it's going, only if the Bowl can make a profit.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw...

both the NFL and NBA have numerous .500 records make the playoffs.

I don't agree with that either. But that's the playoff rules. The NCAA is making the eligibility requirements and they can change them. There are really no changes the NFL and NBA can make that make sense to lower the number of playoff teams unless every sport has 6 playoff teams. The playoff structure for the NBA just would NOT allow that to happen.

Also, 95% of the time the only way you get in the playoff as a .500 team in the NFL is by winning the division so at least you earned a division title to justify making the playoffs.

Last edited:

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Use to feel this was but seriously let the no name programs get their opportunity to be center stage. These small schools don’t get that opportunity ever, so I have come around to getting the little guys their moment to shine.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl's are a HUGE benefit to coaches and teams. If coaches could lower the amount of wins to be eligible, they would do it. It gains them 3-4 weeks of practice time, and gets them another game at a neutral location (often warm weather). This is a no brainer for programs that want to work on improving things.

As long as these bowl games are willing to pay for food, travel, lodging, and often give the team compensation for playing the game, than these coaches will DEFINITELY be all in for playing them. Even if fans don't attend the games, they watch them.