• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 5: Bowl Eligibility

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also not a fan. We as a society rant and rave about "them durn millennials and their participation trophies" but then turn around and reward 6-6 (and sometimes 5-7!!!!) teams with bowl games.

If you support 6-6 teams going to bowl games you forfeit the right to complain about participation trophies.....
Participation trophies that go to kids that are just flat out bad are the problem. Navigating a college football season at .500 is a big deal for some schools. However, it's not like we have 3-9 teams playing in bowls.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not want to face a 4-8 Nebraska because they became much more dangerous as the season wore on ... and I don't want to lose to a 4-8 team!!

Huh? I wouldn't want Michigan to face Nebraska again because they already beat them by nearly 50 points. No offense to Nebraska but I don't think there are that many teams that would fear them this season if they had to play them in a bowl game in a few weeks.

Scott Frost is going to need another year or two to make them respectable IMO. I think he's a good coach.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? I wouldn't want Michigan to face Nebraska again because they already beat them by nearly 50 points. No offense to Nebraska but I don't think there are that many teams that would fear them this season if they had to play them in a bowl game in a few weeks.

Scott Frost is going to need another year or two to make them respectable IMO. I think he's a good coach.
It's hard to say they didn't improve dramatically over the course of the season. To be fair, they should've beaten Colorado to start the year. An idiotic penalty on the deciding play of the game that had no bearing on the outcome is the only reason they lost. They played the two teams playing this Saturday extremely tough in their own homes. Clearly they're not at the top yet, but it's hard to say they're the same team that played in September.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Participation trophies that go to kids that are just flat out bad are the problem. Navigating a college football season at .500 is a big deal for some schools. However, it's not like we have 3-9 teams playing in bowls.

Personally, I don't care if they let 3-9 teams into bowl games. If someone wants to pay a school to come to their city to play an exhibition football game, why does anyone care? Everyone on this board is likely going to watch their team play no matter what their record is, or who they are playing. Bring on the bowl games.

I like bowl games can do for teams because they give the team more practice time (making teams more competition the next season), and they give the team an opportunity to end the season on a high note. Plus, it often lets those players that didn't see the field much during the season, get the opportunity to show out in hopes of snagging a starting spot on next year's team.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say they didn't improve dramatically over the course of the season. To be fair, they should've beaten Colorado to start the year. An idiotic penalty on the deciding play of the game that had no bearing on the outcome is the only reason they lost. They played the two teams playing this Saturday extremely tough in their own homes. Clearly they're not at the top yet, but it's hard to say they're the same team that played in September.

I'm not trying to criticize Nebraska, but again, I don't think most teams would "fear' them right now. They improved and should get some praise for that, but they are a long way away from being feared right now.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to criticize Nebraska, but again, I don't think most teams would "fear' them right now. They improved and should get some praise for that, but they are a long way away from being feared right now.

Frost did say that Year 2 would be when they got it all together. So I guess we'll see.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frost did say that Year 2 would be when they got it all together. So I guess we'll see.

I could see that. They have some talent to work with, but from what I've seen, year 3 is usually the turn around year for most coaches coming into a program in turmoil.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that. They have some talent to work with, but from what I've seen, year 3 is usually the turn around year for most coaches coming into a program in turmoil.

For Frost, it was year 2 at UCF. He took the 0-12 team, went 6-7 the first year and 13-0 the next. Even with Nebraska being 4-8 this year, I do have high hopes for their future. I don't see them struggling much longer. Frost is the real deal, I've seen it first hand.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Frost, it was year 2 at UCF. He took the 0-12 team, went 6-7 the first year and 13-0 the next. Even with Nebraska being 4-8 this year, I do have high hopes for their future. I don't see them struggling much longer. Frost is the real deal, I've seen it first hand.

But that is UCF. IMO, that is not really a good comparison when comparing it to a B10 school. Maybe he will be the exception and turn the team around in year two. I have no doubt he is capable, but 70% of college football success is talent IMO. The coach(es) makes up the other 30%. I'm not sure it won't take him at least 2 more national signing days to get the talent he needs.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that is UCF. IMO, that is not really a good comparison when comparing it to a B10 school. Maybe he will be the exception and turn the team around in year two. I have no doubt he is capable, but 70% of college football success is talent IMO. The coach(es) makes up the other 30%. I'm not sure it won't take him at least 2 more national signing days to get the talent he needs.

I like the kid they have at QB. Martinez. He's a freshman, so I believe he's only gonna get better. They won't be losing THAT many starters next year and also, the ENTIRE coaching staff this year was new. This was their first year at Nebraska. So, time will tell. You're right that it's probably not gonna completely come together til year 3 or 4, but I'm predicting at least a bowl game for them next year.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not want to face a 4-8 Nebraska because they became much more dangerous as the season wore on ... and I don't want to lose to a 4-8 team!!

I still think Michigan is a worse match up for Nebraska than OSU. Michigan is so much better in the trenches and Nebraska needs to get so much stronger there.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Michigan is a worse match up for Nebraska than OSU. Michigan is so much better in the trenches and Nebraska needs to get so much stronger there.

It's not really abut Michigan, but it's more about how much Nebraska has improved throughout the season.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the kid they have at QB. Martinez. He's a freshman, so I believe he's only gonna get better. They won't be losing THAT many starters next year and also, the ENTIRE coaching staff this year was new. This was their first year at Nebraska. So, time will tell. You're right that it's probably not gonna completely come together til year 3 or 4, but I'm predicting at least a bowl game for them next year.
He's gotta replace his 1,000 yard rusher and 1,000 yard receiver, but I think he's got talented guys to step in. That Washington kid at RB was a big get. He's going to be really, really good. Also JD Speilman will be back at WR. He's also bringing in the last McCaffrey kid, and if he's more Christian than Dylan, they'll be in good shape. Adrian Martinez is going to be a big pain in the ass for the B1G for the next 2-3 years.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Rode's Unpopular Opinion - Session 5:

The requirement to be bowl eligible is too low. Right now, we have 12 6-6 teams that will be awarded a bowl game. 81 programs out of the 130 in FBS are bowl eligible this year. This is the ONLY sport where you are rewarded with a "postseason" game by finishing .500 and NOT winning your division. I understand this is for money and the NCAA makes lots of money off of the sponsors of these stupid fucking bowl games, but this is a little ridiculous.

Here are some of the new bowl game sponsors for 2018:

Dollar General Bowl
Cheez-It Bowl
Redbox Bowl

Yay! We won the Cheez-It Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE fucking Golden Cheez-It, I'm flipping tables!
Yay! We won the Dollar General Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE bright ass yellow cart, I'm flipping tables!
Yay! We won the Redbox Bowl! If the trophy isn't a HUGE scratched, non-working DVD, I'm flipping tables!

Also, the fact that the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are delegated for specific conference teams is fucking bullshit as well. In my opinion, all NY6 bowl games should be played by the top 12 teams in the country.

Top 4 get in the CFP, #5 and #6 play in one bowl game, #7 and #8 play in one bowl game, #9 and #10 play in one bowl game and #11 and #12 play in one bowl game.

Right now, the Rose Bowl is saved for a Pac 12 team, so if Utah wins the Pac-12 title, you're telling me Utah deserves to be in an NY6 bowl? The Sugar Bowl is saved for a Big 12 team. So, if Oklahoma gets in the playoff, you're telling me an outside the top 15 4-loss Texas team could be in an NY6 bowl? That's fucking ridiculous and it's fucking bullshit.

But, that's just my unpopular opinion.

I don’t Mind it for a few reasons.

1) seniors get to play one last game

2) the kids get some nice swag for going

3) teams get an extra month of practice, it helps out the entire program.

The games don’t really matter for the most part, but at least they can be quite entertaining.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can play linebacker and like smacking women around I got a spot open on my pro team......

Just don't kneel during the anthem......
Now I just feel sad.