• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Spurrier takes shot at Big Ten

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another take on it, backing up his claim that ECU is at least as good as about half the Big Ten:

Spurrier says ECU is tougher than 'bottom Big Ten teams.' Is he wrong? - SBNation.com

"East Carolina ranked 40th last season in Football Outsider's F/+. That would rank seventh among all Big Ten teams, just barely behind Nebraska (and ahead of a 10-win Duke squad). [ not sure why they have Duke in the Big Ten?] Notably behind the Pirates among Big Ten schools? Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern and Penn State, among others.

Sagarin's final ranking has East Carolina at 56th, a little less forgiving to the Pirates. That would rank eighth in the Big Ten, trailing the same group of teams as they did in F/+ with the addition of Penn State.

The Big Ten's easy to take shots at -- Purdue and Illinois weren't exactly world-beaters last season -- but what about Spurrier's own SEC? East Carolina would have ranked 10th in the conference in F/+, ahead of Florida, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Arkansas. Sagarin is much friendlier to Vanderbilt and Florida, as the Pirates only rank ahead of the Volunteers and Razorbacks in that metric.

So, Coach Spurrier: you're right. But it's not just the Big Ten teams that trail the Pirates in the statistical rankings -- East Carolina's just a pretty dang good football team."

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another take on it, backing up his claim that ECU is at least as good as about half the Big Ten:

Spurrier says ECU is tougher than 'bottom Big Ten teams.' Is he wrong? - SBNation.com

"East Carolina ranked 40th last season in Football Outsider's F/+. That would rank seventh among all Big Ten teams, just barely behind Nebraska (and ahead of a 10-win Duke squad). [ not sure why they have Duke in the Big Ten?] Notably behind the Pirates among Big Ten schools? Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern and Penn State, among others.

Sagarin's final ranking has East Carolina at 56th, a little less forgiving to the Pirates. That would rank eighth in the Big Ten, trailing the same group of teams as they did in F/+ with the addition of Penn State.

The Big Ten's easy to take shots at -- Purdue and Illinois weren't exactly world-beaters last season -- but what about Spurrier's own SEC? East Carolina would have ranked 10th in the conference in F/+, ahead of Florida, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Arkansas. Sagarin is much friendlier to Vanderbilt and Florida, as the Pirates only rank ahead of the Volunteers and Razorbacks in that metric.

So, Coach Spurrier: you're right. But it's not just the Big Ten teams that trail the Pirates in the statistical rankings -- East Carolina's just a pretty dang good football team."

I mean in essence that's all I was saying, but I threw in some "spurriers a cock sucker" and you got all testy with me.

For clarity, I've hated Spurrier for more than twice as long as he's been at USC, so it's not personal.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC and B1G are matched up every single year in big bowl games and the comparing and contrasting is always gonna be there for as long as they are. He didn't just blurt out B1G for no reason. Spurrier's been doing this a long time. He knew what he was doing.

He'll slither his way out of the statement though just like always LOL

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC and B1G are matched up every single year in big bowl games and the comparing and contrasting is always gonna be there for as long as they are. He didn't just blurt out B1G for no reason. Spurrier's been doing this a long time. He knew what he was doing.

He'll slither his way out of the statement though just like always LOL

Are you fucking retarded? He said BEFORE he ever mentioned any other conference, that the other conferences - including the SEC had bottom teams.

I think you must like to cry.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean in essence that's all I was saying, but I threw in some "spurriers a cock sucker" and you got all testy with me.

For clarity, I've hated Spurrier for more than twice as long as he's been at USC, so it's not personal.

LOL... that sounds funny: "y'all got testy...just because I'm so sensitive to Big Ten criticism I called your coach a cock sucker...you guys are SO unreasonable!"

This is never personal, man, it's the internet. I ain't mad, I just called you a Team Big Tenner, then proceeded to have fun with this thread.

Don't really care what you think of my team's coach, I'm not from Alabama or anything. Now THOSE guys...

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you fucking retarded? He said BEFORE he ever mentioned any other conference, that the other conferences - including the SEC had bottom teams.

I think you must like to cry.

link pls

And did he specifically call out any of those other conferences?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ECU's 3rd string DE > Randy Gregory

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurriers-House-Of-Defeat.gif

that's better

LMAO!

That's funny and you suck for posting it...

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like spurrier but it was stupid comment

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
link pls

And did he specifically call out any of those other conferences?

He already gave you the link. Did you maybe try opening and listening to the video that was already forwarded to the exact spot? Or do we need to hold your hand for that?

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that one was meh