• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers Extend Mike Tomlin Through 2021

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he caused the decline, but implied that he inherited those guys from Cowher and has been utterly incapable of rebuilding the secondary going on six or seven years now.

Given Tomlin established himself in the league as a DB coach, what does he have to offer.

He seems to be just competent enough to not think not fuck things up too badly, but him being the coach sure as hell doesn't give the Steelers any advantages.

We've known that he's useless from a tactical standpoint for years, and if last season did not prompt most people to question him from a leadership perspective, nothing will.

We look at what he has accomplished differently, but I think we agree PIT would be better off with another HC.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to go back to see what you referring to and I'm not overly interested in doing that at this point. Yes, every team has talent but only a handful have SB caliber talent.

The Steelers have literally sucked on the edge since the Harrison/Woodley duo, both CB spots were weak until they got Haden. Do you realize William Gay was the CB1 on this team for at least 3 seasons?

"Since '10...the talent has not been nearly as good as" it was the statement you made. I was curious not nearly as good at what.

The 70s are gone and no team is loaded with talent across all positions. The Steelers have been loaded on Offense and always have a premire LB corps. You made it sound as if they've been in an 8 year total rebuild which they haven't. They've just been unable to get over those final hurdles each year.

But they are not lacking talent wise overall.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Since '10...the talent has not been nearly as good as" it was the statement you made. I was curious not nearly as good at what.

The 70s are gone and no team is loaded with talent across all positions. The Steelers have been loaded on Offense and always have a premire LB corps. You made it sound as if they've been in an 8 year total rebuild which they haven't. They've just been unable to get over those final hurdles each year.

But they are not lacking talent wise overall.

Okay...I stand by that...the DEF talent has not been on a championship level since that season.

If you knew about the Steelers roster a bit more I'd continue this debate, but as it stands I'm done with it NW.

Enjoyed it nonetheless.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...I stand by that...the DEF talent has not been on a championship level since that season.

If you knew about the Steelers roster a bit more I'd continue this debate, but as it stands I'm done with it NW.

Enjoyed it nonetheless.

You left that statement open ended. All I wanted to know was not as as what? The 2010 team? Was every season after 10 worse than the previous?

It's not very difficult to look up any roster. Nor is it difficult to have a pretty good idea of one of the Pats annual contenders.

Do I really need to list the talent that has been on that team since Tomlin took over?

Again NO team has probowlers at every position. Last year Pit and KC led the AFC with six each. No PB selection is not the be all end all but it certainly paints a pic when talking about talent level.

I prefer to deal in numbers. You apparently prefer your eye test?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You left that statement open ended. All I wanted to know was not as as what? The 2010 team? Was every season after 10 worse than the previous?

It's not very difficult to look up any roster. Nor is it difficult to have a pretty good idea of one of the Pats annual contenders.

Do I really need to list the talent that has been on that team since Tomlin took over?

Again NO team has probowlers at every position. Last year Pit and KC led the AFC with six each. No PB selection is not the be all end all but it certainly paints a pic when talking about talent level.

I prefer to deal in numbers. You apparently prefer your eye test?

For the sake of closure NH...yes, not as good as the 2010 DEF in particular....yes, LeBeau and Butler for that matter had top 10 DEFs since '10, but again, when you watch the team every week you know them well. You see what the numbers alone don't show. Those DEFs were good bend but don't break type teams. That worked well vs med to avg QBs in the RZ. Tomlin has had some good talent, I'm not suggesting otherwise. But I do pushback on the talk that he's squandered SB caliber rosters year after year.

The two most key positions on a DEF...edge pressure, and coverage have both been lacking on this team for a long time.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This comes to the chagrin of some Steelers fans and observers who have repeatedly voiced their frustrations over Tomlin's coaching style and the team's inability to supplant the New England Patriots as the top team in the AFC. But I think the Pittsburgh brass acted wisely, considering Tomlin boasts the second-highest winning percentage among active coaches at .654 -- a figure that just happens to be the best in franchise history. While some like to call Tomlin's Steelers underachievers, the coach ranks second among active coaches in playoff berths, with eight in his dozen seasons at the helm. And of course, his team hoisted the Lombardi Trophy in his second year on the job, reaching the Super Bowl again two seasons later. That's quite an impressive resume for a so-called "rah-rah coach" with a reputation for running a player-friendly operation
The grass is always greener bro.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the sake of closure NH...yes, not as good as the 2010 DEF in particular....yes, LeBeau and Butler for that matter had top 10 DEFs since '10, but again, when you watch the team every week you know them well. You see what the numbers alone don't show. Those DEFs were good bend but don't break type teams. That worked well vs med to avg QBs in the RZ. Tomlin has had some good talent, I'm not suggesting otherwise. But I do pushback on the talk that he's squandered SB caliber rosters year after year.

The two most key positions on a DEF...edge pressure, and coverage have both been lacking on this team for a long time.

It's over when I say it's over, lol.

Closure this is just getting fun.

Thank you for clarifying your statement comparing the past eight years to one great year. However, numbers don't lie and when Pitt hasn't been one of the top Ds they've been one of the top offenses.

As I mentioned earlier you can't have pro bowlers at every position in today's NFL. The best you can hope for is to draft a couple who become pro bowlers while on their initial contract along with a few vets. Having 6 is a luxury many teams never see. It also doesn't help when consistently drafting in the bottom third of the order.

Go ahead and page thru the years.

NFL Team Stats | NFL.com

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't this been a thing for years with this group of minority owners and Tomlin, Steelers fans?

I am not privy to that kind of thing, just wondering.
2-years running now with these minority owners trying to get Tomlin out the building. The Rooneys aren't listening.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers front office remembering they did this

IMG_20190917_104931.jpg